Ryu ga Gotoku Studio - new announcements

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 12:06 PM

Well, they had their live show and I'm pretty happy with it. Nagoshi came out on his own without a 'professional' MC and did pretty well, though he ended up overrunning a bit. Three announcements!

Ryu ga Gotoku Kiwami 2

Remake of RGG2. Sotenbori looked great, and looking forward to full Kamurocho. Glad to see Susumu Terajima back in a RGG game, too. There's going to be a new side story with playable Majima which talks about his construction career and reintroduces characters from Zero.

Shin Ryu ga Gotoku

New game, new hero - Ichiban Kasuga. Played by Kazuhiro Nakaya, who was Nishikiyama in the first game. Looks like there's more of a backstory planned out for him. Not many details but I'm looking forward to hopefully a clean break from Kiryu's story.

Ryu ga Gotoku Online

Smartphone/browser game. The browser bit is worrying and sounds like it might be more management than action. Sega's mobile games have been a bit of a mixed bag; I wonder if this is Nagoshi's attempt to one-up his old AM2 buddies with a more successful game than Soul Reverse Zero.

Hokuto ga Gotoku

This looks like it's going to be great. Fist of the North Star, with RGG series actors, in an all new story. Kenshiro is now a bartender and baseball bat enthusiast. The only thing I'm actually worried about is the violence - if they go for a Z rating then I'll have to import a physical copy as Sony won't sell it to me on PSN!

Overall, it looks like a return to form. Hopefully they've learned their lessons from earlier games and not gotten too starstruck with their celebrity cameos; certainly in Kiwami 2 they've kept it to a much lower level. And it's coming out while I'm in Japan so I'll have to think about the limited edition (including a nice looking PS4 slim!)

Edited by uiruki, 26 August 2017 - 12:19 PM.

#2 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,274 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 27 August 2017 - 01:13 AM

Yeah, announcements were awesome.

Kiwami 2 is looking very good so far, and I'll be interested to see how they improve the engine after 6. I was initially thrown off on that trailer as they've recast some of the characters (Takashima especially). But I've got high hopes for this one, just thinking about the story set pieces... should be epic! Also Majima is getting his own scenario with Makoto returning for some reason. But I guess it makes sense, they can't physically do a Yakuza game without giving Majima more screentime. At least it sounds more reasonable than the Majima Anywhere system from Kiwami 1.

FOTNS looks awesome. Didn't realise I wanted this until it was announced. Combining the concept of Yakuza with the world of FOTNS should make for an epic game. Day 1 import for sure.

Shin RGG though... I want to know more. Reading some of the story - The Omi Alliance now run Kamuracho, the Tojo Clan are out... That seems like a real interesting concept. I like the design of the new character, and I hope we get some details about a console game with him, as I'm not really interested in a online PC/mobile game.

Roll on TGS!

#3 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 09:10 AM

I agree that FOTNS is one of those things I never knew I wanted until I saw it. Seems like they're going for full on physics combat based on the few seconds we saw - maybe more like the original RGG6 combat we saw in the preview demo?

I'm quite looking forward to them fleshing out Majima a bit more in RGG2 Kiwami. Also, it says he's playable so hopefully he's full on 'smash people with bats' play style! Sotenbori looked so good and having a good straight run with that many obstacles/objects should be a lot of fun in battle. I'm hoping for the fully realised new generation RGG that 6 teased - it seems like they've got their map stuff in order if they're making half of an open Kamurocho and Sotenbori in one year. More heat moves, restored minigames, stuff like that.

I suspect that we won't hear too much about Shin RGG until after Kiwami 2 comes out, simply because they have enough on right now. I think I've been clear in my criticism of how they handled characters in 6 but the new ones I've seen look good and interesting enough to stick with.

#4 qazimod

qazimod

• Founding Member
  • 2,455 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 27 August 2017 - 04:53 PM

There's a smartphone/browser game planned? Well that's never making its way out of weird Asian gaming networks then  :lol:

#5 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 05:55 PM

I don't think Sega released their own games in the west. I know Chain Chronicle shut down pretty fast. Shame as that's got some pretty good collabs - I have a Sora no Kiseki team that can do some damage!

#6 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,274 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 27 August 2017 - 09:41 PM

I agree that FOTNS is one of those things I never knew I wanted until I saw it. Seems like they're going for full on physics combat based on the few seconds we saw - maybe more like the original RGG6 combat we saw in the preview demo?

I'm quite looking forward to them fleshing out Majima a bit more in RGG2 Kiwami. Also, it says he's playable so hopefully he's full on 'smash people with bats' play style! Sotenbori looked so good and having a good straight run with that many obstacles/objects should be a lot of fun in battle. I'm hoping for the fully realised new generation RGG that 6 teased - it seems like they've got their map stuff in order if they're making half of an open Kamurocho and Sotenbori in one year. More heat moves, restored minigames, stuff like that.

I suspect that we won't hear too much about Shin RGG until after Kiwami 2 comes out, simply because they have enough on right now. I think I've been clear in my criticism of how they handled characters in 6 but the new ones I've seen look good and interesting enough to stick with.

Yeah, I'm not expecting much info from Shin RGG until at least January, they'll get RGG2 Kiwami out first. But I see them focusing on FOTNS before doing much with Shin, since that looks somewhat far along in design.

And yeah I'm expecting Kiwami 2 to really show off what the engine can do. Every time the team upgrades to a new engine the first game always "suffers" with content while they continue to build the engine, and then the game that comes next usually has a ton of improvements. So I'm hoping the same can be said about this game.

#7 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:12 PM

Yeah - should be good. As long as nobody walks into the office and suggests that what a remake of RGG2 really needs is a bunch of foot chases!

Not sure if you've seen the Famitsu article with the first few character reveals. Surprised to see the choice for Yulia - I had that role pegged for Maaya Sakamoto, who was Yumi in Kiwami. Good to see they've got Yuuya in there straight away in hopefully a better role than he had in 6 (fucking hell), and if we don't have a Majima Jagi and a Goda Raoh then I'll be surprised and disappointed. Though I guess Majima/Yuda would work too.

Edited by uiruki, 27 August 2017 - 11:13 PM.

#8 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,274 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:56 AM

Yeah - should be good. As long as nobody walks into the office and suggests that what a remake of RGG2 really needs is a bunch of foot chases!

Not sure if you've seen the Famitsu article with the first few character reveals. Surprised to see the choice for Yulia - I had that role pegged for Maaya Sakamoto, who was Yumi in Kiwami. Good to see they've got Yuuya in there straight away in hopefully a better role than he had in 6 (fucking hell), and if we don't have a Majima Jagi and a Goda Raoh then I'll be surprised and disappointed. Though I guess Majima/Yuda would work too.

Yeah, I wonder who Majima will end up voicing in this. There are quite a few that would work, and I'm guessing they'll save his character for a bigger reveal, just to capitalise on the Majima popularity. Yuria's VA was an interesting choice as well, had to look up which RGG character she voiced and was pleasantly surprised. 

I wonder other VA's they'll get from the RGG series to voice characters? I mean, Goda for Raoh would make too much sense, and make for an epic final boss (two epic Kiryu/Ryuuji showdowns in one year? Not sure I can handle that!). I'm hoping to see Shimano voice someone, Akiyama, Date and Haruka all seem like safe choices.

#9 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:46 AM

Hopefully more details at TGS but one thing is clear - it's one of those crossovers that makes more sense the more you think about it!

#10 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,274 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 01 September 2017 - 02:46 PM

I can definitely see it working well. Someone on Neogaf pointed out that the clip in the vid where Kenshiro smacks the biker into the  distance may well be this iterations version of the batting cage (well, Ishin did have you slicing cannonballs in two!). All I ask for is Karaoke just because... 

Makes me wonder what other series they could successfully infuse with the Yakuza engine/template. But I am really eager on this one as I did enjoy the Koei versions of FOTNS enough but did find them repetitive after a while. I feel the Yakuza combat engine could definitely satisfy my needs in terms of combat, and I'm sure they'll do fine with the story as well. 

Makes me wonder, is there anyone in the FOTNS universe akin to Amon? As I cant see them not doing a super powerful secret boss as a 100% reward as always.

#11 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 04:53 PM

I really liked the first Koei FOTNS. The grinding audio and the deliberate but super, super heavy impact of all the moves felt great and really separated it out from all the other Musou games. Then they tried to speed it up in the second and ruined it. If they have a slightly slower but more impactful version of the RGG6 combat I think it'll do fine. Add some hitpause!

Karaoke would be great - Kenshiro and whoever Ugaki voices doing Crystal Kings tracks would be amazing! The song in the trailer reminded me of them (the main singer took a fastball to the throat which completely changed his voice - listen to the Battle Gear 2 theme to compare, it really is the same guy) but no idea who made it.

Not sure about a super boss but I bet they could just have an Amon type original character. Maybe throwing up a boss rush of Kenshiro's rivals like the end of RGG4/the Amon fight in 5 except you're just using one character.

#12 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,274 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 03 September 2017 - 07:18 PM

Yeah, the impact of the first Koei game definitely made it feel more violent and damaging? I guess would be the word. You really felt every hit in that game. I just wish it'd have been just a touch faster, and definitely have more drone enemies to fight. Most battles felt far too small compared to past DW games (though the original mode did go quite a ways to fix that issue). Boss fights were pretty decent though, they actually managed to make them feel threatening, not like enemy generals in newer Musou games who are basically just enemy pawns with damaging Musou attacks. So if Sega can hit that sweet spot for me it'd be a success for sure!

#13 plopboy

plopboy

I'm from the, uh, Confidential Committee on Moral Abuses

• Admin
  • 3,495 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 08 September 2017 - 01:05 PM

I've only just got into Yakuza, so having a FOTNS version sounds awesome.

I too liked the first Koei FOTNS but for some reason the second left me cold :(

#14 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,274 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 08 September 2017 - 03:28 PM

I've only just got into Yakuza, so having a FOTNS version sounds awesome.

I too liked the first Koei FOTNS but for some reason the second left me cold :(

Sega seems to have lucked out in regards to Yakuza this gen. With 0 being amazing and a prequel its given new fans the perfect jump in point for the series. And releasing remakes of 1 and 2 also help immensely. Plus the tech used in Yakuza 6 actually makes it feel more like a current gen video game (shinier graphics, no loading when exploring etc.) Glad to see the series get more coverage outside of Japan!

#15 plopboy

plopboy

I'm from the, uh, Confidential Committee on Moral Abuses

• Admin
  • 3,495 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 09 September 2017 - 09:23 AM

I'm afraid I have a secret Yakuza shame :(

yakuzag7pyw.jpg

I've bought each one on day of release but never played them for more than a couple of hours and in the case of 4 I haven't even opened it :(

I have played 5 a little bit but I think I got too excited by the arcades, forgot about the story and got distracted by another game.

So I got 0 and started getting into that but the Kiwami came out, I though I would just give it a quick go and am hooked. I think my play style has change, so I now just concentrate on trying to do one chapter at a time which seems to really work well for me.

Anyway Bad Dads :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users