Photo

Post your latest Retro buys or Collections!

• Please log in to reply
279 replies to this topic

#16 Smegaman

Smegaman

Nissan Powah!!1

• Donator
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 10:30 AM

Right, when i first saw this i immediatley hit the REPLY button and went "PM'd!" and bought this in an instant.  From the pics, i thought i found a good replacement for my xbox burger pad on SF3. I thought i could finnally use my unused\unopened Magic Box Convertor and use this saturn styled DC pad on it. :clap: Little did i know, not the sellers fault, but it was absolute gash! :(

Posted Image

The D pad and anolog were mapped as one, so the sensitivity of it was insane. Also, it wasnt a true dpad, it had"fitting" that you put in place such as a stick, and dpad nub. :( was horrible tbh. Oh well, only cost me £10.

I know someone who just sold a pair of them on ebay for £36 + shipping :P he insisted that they were better than the ASCII fighter pads, looks like I'll jus be holding off til one of them crops up then.

#17 Jakeway

Jakeway

Gentleman First

• 6,460 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 03:09 PM

I have recently been looking over Ebay for Outrun2 Classics on Xbox. When looking over the pages of Ebay I saw many Outrun related things bundled together for around £1 to £5… I am just so weak..

Mega Drive Jpn Outrun, and Pal Turbo Outrun.
Posted Image
The white paper on the left on Jpn Outrun is actually a piece of A4 Paper with instructions on them. Still can’t go Wrong for 95p…. FOR BOTH!

IMB PC 5.1/4 inch Disks
Posted Image
I don’t really know much about these Disks. The guy told me “I used to play this on my Amstrad PC1640“. I have no idea what I will do with them, maybe buy a £50 frame from John Lewis and bang them up in the hall way… very post modern. Still can’t go Wrong for 99p.

Spectrum Outrun Trilogy
Posted Image
These came complete in a set, all in very nice condition. Outrun comes with a tape cassette of the games sound track (in mono) and Turbo Outrun comes with a poster. Outrun Europa is in immaculate condition, in that it's still FACTORY SEALED!

This poster is mint… R . O . C . K in the U . S . A!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Look at this guys smug face. He is really getting a thrill out of living dangerously and dicing with the law.

Outrun CBM 64/128 version
Posted Image
This also comes with a tape cassette of the games sound track, and contains another 5.1/4 inch Disk.

Ahh well… more junk for the wall.

#18 Pacman

Pacman

im in ur bus guidin ur passengers

• 5,717 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 03:22 PM

That stuff is awesome Jake, nice one. Those tape versions are definitely for the Amstrad, I remember playing it on a mate of mine's; it was shite, took fifteen minutes to load, often crashed, and was ludicrously slow and rubbish to play. Apart from that, a classic! :D

#19 Tokyochojin

Tokyochojin

"You dare bring light to mah lair, YOU MUST DIE!"

• 1,409 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 09:49 AM

Managed to pick this up, after playing Capcom vs Snk 2 to death recently.

Posted Image

#20 Singho

Singho

U CAN'T SEE MEEE!

• Admin
  • 11,144 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 02:36 PM

Cool Outrun collection jake, you think you are missing any? :D

@Tokyochojin: Thats Last Blade right? I remember playing the DC version of it and MOTW after playing them on a NeoGeo emulator, and i was really dissapointed. :( LB looked a right mess for some reason and MOTW had small sprites and delayed voices on the moves as they were streamed when needed off the disk. :/

Anyway, checking through the thread i noticed a lack of n64 goodness, so heres a few of mine. :)

Super Smash Bros

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I got this from CEX, and to this day it remains one of my most expensive import buys. >_^_^ This was of course before everyone started shopping for games on the net, but i remember seeing previews and reviews of this game in NGC magazine and i just couldnt understand how the game would work from the pictures. But when i saw it moving on the CEX screen, and that awesome intro both me and my brother looked at eachother and coughed up the cash between us. :lol: at Kirby vs Mario in a Ryu vs Ken SF:Zero 2 in a grass field stylee. Ill try and find a video of it, its well ace. :)

Played this game so much in multiplayer and single, and i remember always trying to guess who the secret characters were on the end of the character select screen. Could only work out Luigi. :P Mew Two, Nes and Falcon totally threw me. ;p

Great game, overlooked by loads of people as being a good fighter simply because its got Mario in it. But imo, i enjoyed the updated Smash Melee more and think overall its a better game. But when this came out first, i adored it, and all my gaming mates were jelous that i had it. ;p ....they later all got it for £20 when CEX started selling off all their ninty import stock cheap, but we had all stopped playing by then. ;/

Love the box art for this, its like a comic and the flaming japanese text make it look all that much cooler. :ninja:

Paper Mario

Posted Image

I had the Pal version, but seeing this up for sale i just had to have it because of the beutiful box art. The only game i have ever bought just on the strength of its box art btw! Not like i make a habit out of it. ;p Think i paid £20 for it, well worth it. :)

From the PAL version though, i never got round to finishing it, but i really liked the battle system as even though it was turn based, you actually had interaction which helped land or cause more damage by timing button presses. :)

Yoshi's Story

Posted Image

Awwwww ^_^ The Yoshis singing. ^_^ I got this from CEX too along with a N64 Passport for £25. Wasnt the game i was expecting after being such a huge fan of the snes Yoshi's Island, but i still found it fun. Especially when you had to just go round and eating only Melons, the game became much more of a challenge.

Although, there was no denying that the boss battles and the fun i had in the original were not present in this. Also, the fact that there was no baby mario removed an added fear of losing a life. You also didnt have that many levels to go through, there were 6 worlds, but you only needed to do 1 level from each world which made you replay and select levels later on multiple playthroughs.

But the game looked beutiful with its own style of patchwork worlds and its pseudo 2D\3D baddies. :) If you look at the box carefully, you can notice that the yosh's have stitches. :D Good game, great art style in game and artwork wise. :)

Posted Image

Ive got a few more JPN N64 games, and frankly the box art, manuals and extra bits such as moves cards (see thumbnails) that came with the game just pissed on the poor Pal versions. Also, the plastic trays seemed to be more durable than the cardboard ones which i always used to manage to crush. :/

Edited by Singho, 02 January 2006 - 02:56 PM.

#21 Super Stu

Super Stu
  • 13,675 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 03:27 PM

Jake, all that outrun stuff is awesome. I had most of those.. I had a PC1640 too, which that chap mentioned. My mate had a Tandy, the other thing on the label ;p Actually, I just remembered a funny thing about MD outrun, seeing the cart there.. it cost me £20, almost immediately upon release. What is it about Ourtun costing 20 quid.

#22 GViper

GViper
  • 238 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 12:04 AM

The first picture contains a christmas bundle my mum bought for me, which also included a NiGHTS analogue pad too, but I forgot to photo it. Lovely little bundle, NiGHTS, SFA2 and SF3 have been taking up lots of my time! The second picture is my newest additions to the Sonic collection, Sonic CD and Sonic and Knuckles. Sonic CD is in good nick, and for S%K apart from that fold on the front there, everything is IMMACULATE. Even the inner box! I got it from the Retro Ball for a tenner, BARGAINOUS! The third picture is both the Shenmues. First one the box is a bit meh, but the disks are wonderful, the second just has it all! Both picked up in Gamestations, too And lastly, FFVI was part of the Xmas bundle, I got Guilty Gear and Jade Cocoon from the forums, MSR and Bust a Groove from Gamestation for a fiver Oh, and the others are part of my old collection which I recently came into again Phew! Sorry bout the long post! I'll post more often, i promise!

Attached Files

#23 Ginger Tosser

Ginger Tosser

You f*cking whore

• Donator
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 11:29 PM

Latest gadget, free from the Missus

Posted Image

Also a Ticker stub from a Birmingham City Vs AC Roma game from 1961 - guess not right type of retro!

Haven't tested it yet, just need a couple of batteries.

Also got a Philips Videopac probably not worth much, but i'll see.

Edited by Ginger Tosser, 09 January 2006 - 11:30 PM.

#24 Tokyochojin

Tokyochojin

"You dare bring light to mah lair, YOU MUST DIE!"

• 1,409 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 03:18 PM

Picked up a Super Famicom with FFVI, Donkey Kong, Mario Kart, F-Zero, Street fighter II, Sf IIturbo, SF Zero 2, Rings,F1 Grand prix, all for £25 knicker. Sadly no pictures as the baggage handlers decided to play rugby with my bag and fucked my camera. Anyway a good deal, well will be when i can get a converter or psu.

Edited by Tokyochojin, 15 January 2006 - 03:19 PM.

#25 Hollywood Haggar

Hollywood Haggar
  • 275 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 04:16 PM

Yoshi's Story
Posted Image

:wub:

#26 MD

MD

More annoying then a drunk sony fanboy.

• Banned
  • 748 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 02:25 PM

Not a great deal of retro but still managed to pick up a brand new (and fairly useless) Sega Mega Modem for the Megadrive, Hyper Olympic (Track and Field) Challenge 5 (100m, Long Jump, Javelin, 110M Hurdles and High Jump). It is quite fun as it can be played by 2 players.

The rest of the items are music CDs. happy.gif

The book is Megaton Punch Vol. 6, a dojinchi by Kenichi Sonoda. The cover story has various game machines in the form of women (PC Engine, Megadrive,Famicom, Wonderswan and others), however it has the announcer as a Dreamcast for some reason.... It ends with the PSP tieing up and gaging the GBA Micro (rather apt I thought...) and 'attacking' (use your imagination) the DS but the DS fights back and wins by twisting the headgear (again use your imagination of defective PSPS...)

Attached Files

#27 Pacman

Pacman

im in ur bus guidin ur passengers

• 5,717 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 03:21 PM

What on earth was the MD modem used for MD? A service similar to the Bandai Satellalink (or whatever the hell it was called) on SNES?

#28 MD

MD

More annoying then a drunk sony fanboy.

• Banned
  • 748 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 02:25 PM

The MD modem was used to play the couple of games that supported it online (well you calling a friend up....), I think a total of 4 games supported it and 2 of them were baseball....

You could also get the Modem Cartridge and download games to it. These included a nice update of Teddy Boy Blues and Doki Doki Pengiun Land as well as the Phantasy Star Text adventures, the vast majority of these were released on the Game Cans (2 volumes) on the Mega CD, well worth picking up. biggrin.gif

New purchases...

DAYTONA 2 USA SOUNDTRACK!

A tomy wind up game.

More sound tracks, and some dojin based on video games (and one that ain't).

Attached Files

#29 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

Just as you suspected, everything I have told you is gibberish

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 05 March 2006 - 02:16 PM

Not really a retro buy, but it probably doesn't deserve its own Impressions thread.

Bought the Capcom Classics Collection. It's alright, but suffers from the exact same problems that blighted the Taito Legends release - blurry, filtered visuals and no tate mode in the vert shmups. What it means is that some of the games - Commando, for instance - are more difficult than they should be, as you struggle to see shots coming your way.

I don't have the words to describe just how much I hate the filtering. It's fucking ridiculous that companies keep on doing this and don't even provide the option to turn it off.

One of the daftest things about it is that the JPN Sat & PS1 Capcom Collections supported tate. As far as the games that are included on both those and this collection are concerned, the 32bit comps are superior. The benefit of going for this collection is that it has extra games not featured on those earlier rereleases - Forgotten Worlds and Bionic Commando are the big two. Controls in FW work better than I thought they would, although I'd have thought it'd be the perfect game for dual stick control. But then it *is* just another lazy, quick-buck package, so I suppose it'd have been foolish to have expected them to put any gret thought into it.

Three versions of SFII. Yet a-fucking-gain.

Unlockable bonus material for each of the games depending on your meeting certain criteria - reaching a certain score, finishing the game, getting to a certain level etc.

You can stretch the screen either vertically or horizontally, but they've managed to fuck that up by not letting you do both at the same time, meaning that you're almost always going to stuff the ratio.

It's £15. For £15, it's not too bad.

#30 Smegaman

Smegaman

Nissan Powah!!1

• Donator
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 06:26 PM

Randy I believe the filterin is actually a result of the Xbox rather than the developer. Even my emulators look blurry on the Xbox sad.gif I do need to update em tho theres gotta be a 100% perfect SNES emulator out for it. The one I got atm has poor audio emulation sad.gif

Jus picked up a fair few HuCards to go with my shiny PC Engine DUO biggrin.gif roll on the student loan now so I can pick up CastleVania for it XD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users