Super Nintendo Review/Recommendations thread

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:19 PM

Partly because the Castlevania thread got me wanting to play old school games again and partly because I just wanted to play something different I booted up my Snes this morning. Honestly its probably the most fun I've had with games for a little while (not that modern games are bad, but damn do I miss some of the simplicity and lack of handholding that older games gave you. That and the lack of hour long fucking tutorials).

I decided to start with an old friend:

Super Castlevania 4, a "remake" of the original according to Konami and its creator but honestly its much less a remake and more a brand new game. I miss the days of CV when they were stage based platformers with end bosses as opposed to the (admittedly awesome) Metroidvania's the series is now famed for which is perhaps why I hold this particular game in such high regard. Its aged graphically in places (background are fairly by the books and some of the enemies/animations aren't exactly amazing by Snes standard) but it still looks the part all round. The bosses especially Death look the part and the larger bosses especially look great. What does still impress me though are some of the mode 7 effects the game uses. Rotating rooms and background not to mention a couple of bosses and chandeliers look pretty cool and because of it some of the levels have some great, unique obstacles.

The other major inclusion is the mutli directional whipping. It can't be understated at how bigger thing this is. It changes the way the series plays, adds new opportunities and also adds the swinging mechanic which adds another dimension to the gameplay. Its all really great which makes me really sad that said mechanic gets pretty much binned after this game and never used again. Not sure why, it makes Dracula X seem a little basic...

The last thing that really gets me is the challenge. The first six or so levels I've played to death in the past so I know them pretty much inside out but things ramp up once you reach the second half of the game. Some of the platforming becomes much trickier (sometimes a tad frustrating perhaps) and the end couple of bosses are no push over. The clock tower especially is pretty evil when it comes to some of its jumps and if your not careful the boss battle against the cursed mummy Acmodam is really short as you tumble off the top of the clock tower!

Between the two CV games released on the console I'd say this is the better of the two. Its an all round great game that is just as good today as it was on release and its levels and bosses are a blast to play through. It also doesn't help that Dracula X was a let down gameplay wise (its bastard hard even by my standards) and its a distant second to the god tier PC Engine version that looks, sounds and plays better.

So once my CV itch was scratched I decided to stay with Konami (and remind myself of when they used to be a good developer) and play a game that I'd never completed before:

Batman Returns. Its a 2D side scrolling beat em up/platformer and bearing in mind its a 90's Konami game that of course means its nothing short of excellent. I've personally always favoured the Animated Batman game that the Snes got but I must say I really like this game. It looks and sounds exactly how I'd imagine a Batman game to be and its got excellent gameplay...

Konami made some of my fav side scrollers back in the day and this one is no exception. Batman has a nice array of moves at his disposal like his batterang to stun enemies, a grappling hook mainly used to get around the platforming sections and of course plenty of grabs to dispatch bad guys. The grabs especially I like as the scenery is pretty interactive (visible damage after smashing an enemy into a window, bench or wall) but my favourite grab is the one where he smashes two goons into each other.

The whole game is really fast paced which I love, the game just flows really well. Beating up on goons never gets old especially once you get the hang of stunning enemies > combo > grab etc. Plus the platforming sections are a nice way of breaking up the action and are also really well done.

Really the only thing that kind of annoyed me at times were the bastard hard Catwoman and Penguin fights. Compared to the other bosses they could basically maul your health bar just by blinking. Catwoman especially was crazy as in just two attacks you could be dead! I still need to figure out a better way to beat her...

Still its one of the best Batman games I've played. It does the license proud and I highly recommend it to anyone that wants a decent comic book game or a decent beat em up.

Next up it was time to give a Capcom game a try (ah the good old days of 16bit Capcom...):

Mickeys Magical Quest is one of several Disney tie ins Capcom handled. Its not quite Duck Tales or Rescue Rangers levels of awesome but its playable. Graphically its serviceable. It looks the part and is bright and colourful but it doesn't beat Castle or World of Illusion on the Mega Drive in my opinion, Sega was just so good in that regard. The first few levels are standard mascot platform fare. Jump on enemies, leap over pits, forest setting etc. All very familiar and mundane...

After beating the first area I unlocked the first powerup - the turban/magic outfit. I could now Megaman charge beam my way through levels and it made the game far more fun. The powers added an extra layer of depth to the game.

After beating a few more stages I got the fireman outfit. This one was less offensive in terms of weaponary but it allowed me to move blocks around and put out fires (surprisingly) so it again added a nice new twist to levels.

Lastly I got the grappling hook weapon which allowed me to traverse areas in style. Its an excellent power up that bar level 4 is barely used again which sucks. Level 5 was just a fast paced couple of platforming stages followed by a boss battle and then I'd arrived at the finale. The final level was an evil looking castle where you could use your powers (well most of them) to traverse the dangerous environment. Then you reach the final boss which probably took longer to beat than the rest of the game combined! Your pretty much restricted to using the fireman outfit to inflict damage which takes a while. You also have to swap outfits (slowly) to counter one particular attack. Did I mention the boss spends most of his time in a state of invincibility? Its not a hard boss, its just really really long.

Its a very short game when its all said and done. Not bad but it falls short of what I like my platformers to be. Its also weirdly tough in places! Don't let the cutesy look fool you into a false sense of security, the game doesn't pull its punches. It does a bad job of conveying what you need to do in sections (or maybe I shouldn't skip all the cutscenes) as at points it was a little tricky to gather what I needed to do. Thankfully the game has infinite continues and only kicks you back to the beginning of the stage if you die. Its the very definition of a 6/7 out of 10 game. Fun, not bad but nowhere near as good as a dozen other platformers that I've played before.

Which sort of brings me to the point of the thread. I'll be playing through a few more Snes games but wonder which are worth picking up? I'm a huge platformer/action/run and gun fan so anything like that would be ace. I'd also not say no to RPG's like Soul Blazer which I also really like.

I've got a nice backlog of stuff to play. I think I'll give the following a shot: Rendering Ranger R2, Super Punch Out, Yoshi's Island and Wolverine (which isn't a good game, I've just been meaning to finish it since the mid 90's...)

Edited by shadowman, 13 March 2014 - 05:20 PM.

#2 bowser123

bowser123

Habadoodee! With a Reep-a-nazza.

• Moderators
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:01 PM

Which sort of brings me to the point of the thread. I'll be playing through a few more Snes games but wonder which are worth picking up? I'm a huge platformer/action/run and gun fan so anything like that would be ace. I'd also not say no to RPG's like Soul Blazer which I also really like.

I've got a nice backlog of stuff to play. I think I'll give the following a shot: Rendering Ranger R2, Super Punch Out, Yoshi's Island and Wolverine (which isn't a good game, I've just been meaning to finish it since the mid 90's...)

You haven't played Yoshi? OMG, it's incredible gaming, an absolute must play.

For me the SNES is my favourite machine, one that I'm most fond of and host to an insane breadth of games. Every single genre has defining games, often games that have never been bettered. Nintendo themselves were on fire but they actually have third party support. The big name, obvious games still look and play sensationally. Super Metroid, obviously, LttP, Mario World and Mario All Stars, Yoshi. F-Zero, Rock N Roll Racing and Mario Kart. SF2 Turbo, all the Final Fantasies (Plus Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana), my favourite Contra and an excellent Ghouls and Ghosts. Super Tennis, ISS, the DK Country games that blew me away at the time and are fairly solid today. Those are the games that make me think SNES and what I most enjoyed at the time. You've almost certainly played them all but if not you must. Ogre Battle was one I discovered years later and is exceptional.

The pad was incredible, the machine durable and reliable. Just love the 16 bit look, it hasn't dated.
Anyway, some slightly lesser known games that you probably are aware of but all are excellent fun:

Only recently started myself and realised it's brilliant category:
Demons Crest (Third game in the Gargoyles Quest series)
Umihara Kawase (Only played it within the last few years, it's ace. Platforming with a twist)
DoReMi Fantasy

Action/ adventure
Actraiser (Hack and slashy platforming, not massively dissimilar to classic Castlevania)
Zombies Ate My Neighours and it's sequel,  Ghoul Patrol
The Star Wars games
Jurassic Park (the 3D sections are wonky, the over world exceptional)

Action RPG
Shadowrun (Essential)
Spike McFang
Mystical Ninja
Solstice 2: Equinox (Think old style isometric games like Head over Heels in 16 bit)
Illusion of Time

Run and Gun/ Shooter
Cybernator (Very much Cybernator, it's super, though you don't really run and more amble)
Metal Warrior (Similar to Cybernator)
The Firemen (It's more top down shooter with water rather than bullets, fire rather than foes, but amazing)
Pocky and Rocky
Goof Troop

Platformer

Rainbow Bell Adventures (Play the Japanese version as it's none linear, has multiple endings and different exits like SMW)
Tiny Toons Buster Busts Loose (Very, very good)
Addams Family (Looks basic, is frustrating initially. However it's intelligent and allows unprecedented amounts of freedom for a platformer to explore and challenge in what ever order you see fit. Tricky too)
Out to Lunch

Amazingly there's also a wealth of stuff I've never tried due to either a language barrier or it being Japan only. However with an emulator plus translation hack there's loads of stuff that either looks good or has come recommended. Try these maybe, though I've yet to play them properly (or at all in some cases) myself:

Majuu Ou

Platform shooter with a horror setting and grisly graphics

Magical Pop N'

Fast paced Metroidvania ish

King of Dragons

Fantasy setting Streets of Rage/ Batman Returns. By Capcom too.

RPG, SRPG and tactical:
FEDA (looks similar to Shining Force)
Fire Emblem!

Marvelous (Japanese only RPG. Looks beautiful, made by the dude who does all the modern Zeldas (Anouma??)

#3 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:11 PM

I actually have played Yoshi's Island. But that was at launch many moons ago and I never managed the hidden stuff so I want to play it through again. And its bloody amazing so why not!

Good call on Demons Crest, I actually do own that but forgot I had it! Totally going to play that through when I get a chance. Cybernator to, I found my cart copy of that so will have to give it a blast as I remember it being really good.

The Star Wars games I almost played through again, I've replayed them pretty recently so I'll pass on playing them again. They hold a very special place with me as I'm a huge fan of the good trilogy and these are like the perfect games of them in my opinion. They capture the events of the movie very well and give you a nice blend of shoot em up and vehicle sections. They take a few liberties here and there with bits (Jawa Sandcrawler for example) but I really love what they did with the movies. Empire was pretty brutal difficulty wise, especially late in the game on Cloud City.

Good shout outs on Zombies and Firemen, both are games I've had my eyes on so I'll have to give them a try. Donkey Kong Country 3 as well, I loved the first two but never got round to playing the third (I own the cart).

Adams Family is an odd one. I was actually playing it earlier (I own more Snes games than I remember!) and I forgot how huge the levels are. Its not a hard game per se but levels are big and you can explore some of them pretty extensively to find different routes. Its going to take me a while to finish that one I think. I also swear you can get extra heart containers... I know you can get one from the hidden bird boss on the tree but I thought you could get more? Maybe that was just an Amiga thing though, that version was weird as they took out all the optional powerups like the fencing sword, fireball etc. which was a weird move...

I'll give the rest of your recommendations a try, it reminds me why I love the console - so many games to play even though I've quite a few there are always more to try!

#4 plopboy

plopboy

I'm from the, uh, Confidential Committee on Moral Abuses

• Admin
  • 3,497 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:59 AM

For me the SNES has some of my best gaming memories from 8 hour SF2 sessions to playing through the 2 player tournaments in Smash Tennis.

Some of my highlights are

Parodious
Super Tennis
International Super Star Soccer Deluxe
UN Squadron
Mario Kart
Mortal Kombat 2
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Popin Twin Bee (sp?)
Super Mario RPG
Power Instincts
Actraiser
Hebereke's Poppoon ( and the other puyo one which I can't spell either)

And others that I can't remember if the top of my head, but it is still a joy to fire up. Also the US SNES is so easy to mod to get JP carts to work I only need a PAL SNES and a US one to cover all the main regions. Though I really don't like the Palmer Violet pad or hard edged look to the console.

#5 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:30 PM

I got lucky and got a region free Snes (Euro console) with a 60Hz switch so I'm good to go in that regard. Some games have weird lock out protection though - Dragon will check the region after every level and if its anything other than 50Hz it crashes, Megaman X3 does a similar thing but at the boss door (guess my PAL version will remain a display copy, especially as its fucking expensive to get complete!) and Mario RPG won't boot at all in a modded console unless you do some weird steps to boot it.

Anyway, two more games played today:

Adams Family as recommended by Bowser. After getting my bearings on the game and learning where the 3 heart powerups are I managed to get through the game with no real problems. Its a really fast paced platformer with some excellent level design and really tight controls. I was really impressed with it, the game asks you to bounce on many enemies in a row over spikes/lava and its really easy to do thanks to the controls. I really liked the kitchen/stove level as it switched stuff up and made it so you can't kill any enemies (as they are all on fire). Couple that with the various other hazards and you've got a pretty big level where you are avoiding pretty much everything! Pugsleys level is really good as well, very fast paced and filled with various hazards that require Mario Bros levels of concentration to dodge. Actually, in many ways it feels like a Mario game but not in a bad way, as far as 90's "mascot" platformers go this is definitely one of the better ones. I've got the sequel sitting on my shelf as well to play sometime, its supposed to be hard as nails apparently...

I also booted up Claymates. I remember this game knocking my socks off back in the day due to its clay like graphics and revisiting it... rose tinted goggles and all that... It doesn't look all that great to be honest. The main characters do look ok but the rest of the game looks really average. The game is half platformer (main levels) and half puzzle game (overworld). The main levels are your standard fare - jump obstacles and kill enemies to make it to the end of levels. The levels themselves are pretty big though, almost maze like in places so its not so straight forward in that regard. Each powerup has its own powers - squirrel has decent ranged attacks, cat can climb trees, the fish can swim etc. The overworld levels though are easy puzzle segments where you manipulate the environment to guide the robots to unlock the way to the next level. From what I played they were very simple.

The problem? The second boss. You have to use the worse powerup (fish) to take on a giant clam with a weak point that is so damn small it ramps up the difficulty considerably. I gave up in the end as it just got stupid, you have almost no time to hit the thing and he can kill you with ease. Oh and you move really slow in the water, so evasion is harder than it should be.

Its an ok game bar the boss. It has an interesting gimmick and the levels are big and expansive so I'll probably return to it at some stage...

Oh, and on the topic of Street Fighter...

If there was ever a game to make me want to console it was this game, I had the Amiga version back in the day first and didn't want to admit to how bad it was. Getting the Snes version was practically a god send. The graphics looked arcade perfect back in the day, I had no idea about 60Hz and the fact that is was in fact running really slow and also the proper controller meant I could finally play the game properly. The music and sound effects are still big favs on mine today, the Snes soundtrack is something I prefer to any other version (especially Vega's music) and I really like the brutal heavy punch/kick sound effects.

Turbo for the Snes remains my chosen version of the game. Its port is fantastic and the AI is far less brutal compared to the arcade ports the game received later so its still fun to play in either single or multiplayer. As mentioned it sounds amazing and its got the perfect cast of characters which is why I still go back and play it.

Super is a weird one. I still can't bring myself to like the arcade original and by extension the Snes port. The changed sound effects sound feeble and weak compared to Turbos and the music/voices are also neutered (Guile says hi). It plays slower and it just feel very fun to play. The Snes version otherwise is a pretty faithful port but if Capcom wanted to really do things right we'd have got Super Turbo instead...

What impresses me most is the port of Alpha 2 the Snes got late in its life. Its limited technically in places (animation mostly) but it still looks the part and plays really closely to the original game. I played the crap out of it before I got Alpha 3 for the Playstation and I gave it another shot today and it continued to impress me.

#6 plopboy

plopboy

I'm from the, uh, Confidential Committee on Moral Abuses

• Admin
  • 3,497 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:03 AM

The weird thing about Alpha 2 is the big delay before the round starts, it just seems really odd. That and it is ruddy expensive.

Final Fight is also pretty pricy but good fun, even if it is missing Guy.

#7 bowser123

bowser123

• Moderators
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:39 AM

Adams Family as recommended by Bowser. After getting my bearings on the game and learning where the 3 heart powerups are I managed to get through the game with no real problems.

Dunno why but there's something awesome about you loading up the original cart and machine, stuff you've presumably owned for years without touching for ages, and then then just completing it in a day. I had the game pegged as pretty tricky too, though maybe I was trying the levels in the wrong order. That said there's also the very real certainty that you're just better at games given the volume you complete and the sort you're doing.

What output you getting off that SNES? Guessing RGB scart given it's modded, you playing on a CRT or HDTV? Any time I've tried old machines they look dreadful to me, even when using the best available cable. How does it all look to modern eyes? At the time I had no idea my SNES PAL was so inferior to other regions. Funny thing is it didn't make even the tiniest bit of difference or stop my enjoyment.

I think it's partially down to my TV only liking component or HDMI, partially down to just being so comfortable with everything being a minimum of 720p that I can't readjust. It's not even the games themselves that are ugly, it's the connection that's the issue. I'm not sure where improvements from emulators in the form of higher resolutions, brighter colours and loss of flicker (for the NES) end, and how it's filters artificially improving the game begin. I don't really have a reference point from NES wise, maybe the stuff I'm playing looks fake? Perhaps perversely though I'm more likely to load up Metroid through SNES9X than play my original cart, though that cart and it's multiple completions has more than proven it's worth.

One thing I don't get though is the obsession with seeing visible scan lines, like the emulator having the option to artificially turn them on. I'm guessing it's all to reminiscing and harking back to the good old days when your CRT displayed such things... though my TV never really did it so pronounced. Is it an arcade thing?

#8 bowser123

bowser123

• Moderators
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:56 AM

My talk of artificial graphics...

I mean like how every IOS game has that high res, clean look that is bright and in theory attractive yet has absolutely zero appeal to me. Everything is so clinical that it leaves me cold, though it doesn't help that everything looks the same. Maybe it's the lack of incidental detail or something? I dunno, I just love 16 bit graphics so high res versions should be heaven but it doesn't pan out like that. The new stuff just doesn't have the character.

Or maybe I'm confusing two different issues here, of art style and the technical merit of graphic capabilities like resolution and crispness? Like how the IOS game is technically superior but isn't fit to lick the boots of an old Nintendo, Sega or Konami game in terms of aesthetic appeal. I don't think it's just cherry picking better times either to suggest the 16 bit graphics are timeless and look good and relevant today. N64 stuff, PS1 games, even early PS2 games look woeful so 3D in it's infancy is dated. I don't think that applies to 16 bit.

Lots of the NES games I've tried are basic yet have an appeal and character that don't look dated to me now I've immersed myself in them. Though I have to weigh up the fact I've cherry picked from basically gaming finest developers (to my taste I mean) so it's no surprise these games look at the very least solid. Just hoping I'm not deluding and contradicting myself that it's the emulator fundamentally and artificially changing the graphics, once you get past the obvious and beneficial from the likes of brighter colours and elimination of flicker.

#9 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:05 AM

Dunno why but there's something awesome about you loading up the original cart and machine, stuff you've presumably owned for years without touching for ages, and then then just completing it in a day. I had the game pegged as pretty tricky too, though maybe I was trying the levels in the wrong order. That said there's also the very real certainty that you're just better at games given the volume you complete and the sort you're doing.

What output you getting off that SNES? Guessing RGB scart given it's modded, you playing on a CRT or HDTV? Any time I've tried old machines they look dreadful to me, even when using the best available cable. How does it all look to modern eyes? At the time I had no idea my SNES PAL was so inferior to other regions. Funny thing is it didn't make even the tiniest bit of difference or stop my enjoyment.

I think it's partially down to my TV only liking component or HDMI, partially down to just being so comfortable with everything being a minimum of 720p that I can't readjust. It's not even the games themselves that are ugly, it's the connection that's the issue. I'm not sure where improvements from emulators in the form of higher resolutions, brighter colours and loss of flicker (for the NES) end, and how it's filters artificially improving the game begin. I don't really have a reference point from NES wise, maybe the stuff I'm playing looks fake? Perhaps perversely though I'm more likely to load up Metroid through SNES9X than play my original cart, though that cart and it's multiple completions has more than proven it's worth.

One thing I don't get though is the obsession with seeing visible scan lines, like the emulator having the option to artificially turn them on. I'm guessing it's all to reminiscing and harking back to the good old days when your CRT displayed such things... though my TV never really did it so pronounced. Is it an arcade thing?

Yeah, I really do love me my platformer games. Adams Family just worked for me because of the pace. Its not a slow game, you can blast through levels without slowing down and its dead easy to navigate even the trickiest of areas. And yeah, I love clearing old games I've had for years. Its a real shock to see just which Snes games I own. Contra III, Phantom 2040, Super Punch Out, Sunset Riders, DKC3 etc. the list goes on!

RGB Scart for me (Snes was modded to optimise the quality). I believe I use an official Scart cable (or a really good one) and I use a CRT TV to play the console on (only 21", my larger set died :(). My big TV doesn't like sub HD picture quality (even the Wii looks like ass) so all my pre Xbox gaming is done on the old CRT. Picture quality on the TV is brilliant, games look crisp and wonderful especially on stuff like Batman Returns.

Not sure on the whole scan lines thing, I do like to enable them on retro releases on the 360, I just like the look for some reason?

I also totally agree to your point about NES graphics Vs IOS graphics etc. There's a certain really awesome look to NES games, I love the look of the original Super Mario Bros game, early Megaman games plus stuff from Konami, Tecmo, Capcom etc.

#10 bowser123

bowser123

• Moderators
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:48 AM

Started playing Dragon Quest I and II for the SNES, which was a re-release of the original NES games with improved graphics and some changes to the final dungeon layout. The game was Japan only but has had a comprehensive fan translation that patches the game, their work sound. From videos I've seen the original NES game in English is full of Ye Olde English, complete with lots of thy and thou, something the translation I'm playing doesn't contain. Thankfully.

The first few games also got released on the GBC in English (entitled Dragon Warrior) and apparently are the same content wise though graphically not a patch on the SNES game.

Having never played a mainline game from the DQ series I thought it time to start as I wanted to play a simple, original style RPG.

The first game starts off with the usual thing of a little guy becoming strong and saving the world. It's all staple stuff really, buy the sword and equipment upgrades, battle through the dungeons to the next bit of land to progress the story. Strangely the game starts off with only 1 in the party and remains this way throughout. The character learns spells as he levels up so self sufficiency isn't really a problem.

Perhaps uniquely you see the final castle the second you leave the home town. Of course it's completely inaccessible as it's blocked by poison and water that can't be traversed. The world map is like a bit of a spiral in shape. You start in the centre (with the last dungeon opposite you) and work your way up and around before looping back in. The map is fairly big though sparsely populated. Outside the handful of villages and dungeons it's lots of areas that end up leading to nowhere. Early travel can be quite tricky as there's no ingame map, so the early lack of a healing spell and dead ends can result in a few tricky situations. However the game compensates for this with death only resulting in monetary loss, you get revived back at the castle with all XP and belongings.

Once I had an item that recovered HP by walking the game became a pushover. Didn't really have to do any level grinding or push for money, ended up quite comfortable with just normal play. The only slightly tricky thing is the dungeons are all in darkness and have to be lit by a torch or spell, yet you never quite have enough light so occasionally end up becoming a little lost, though minor backtracking solved this as the dungeons are fairly linear, just full of dead ends.

Pushed on and completed it after about half a weeks play or maybe 10-15 hours. Enjoyable little thing if nothing special.

#11 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:03 PM

So as part of my Ghouls and Ghosts binge today I headed back to Super GnG on the Super Famicom. I cleared the game a while back on the Snes so I swear I should be able to finish the game but I wonder which difficulty I did it on now.

Comparing it to the other games there are a few things that jump out to me...

First off is the pace of the game. Its slower than the Megadrive GnG, with slowdown present at times in the graphically intensive segments. Never bad enough to annoy me but present all the same. Its really pretty though, the best looking of the series in my opinion.

The levels are also longer. You can tell its a console game and not an arcade port in that respect.

The double jump is a welcome addition. It makes things so much better being able to have some control in the air!

The returning enemy - the red devils have once again been changed in this game. They are harder to kill than ever before as they are not stupid. You have to double jump well and attack them when they lunge to stand any kind of chance!

So many new weapons, none of which are any good! The Lance is ok as a standard weapon but too slow. The bow is weak but useful plus power it up and red devils are doomed. Knife as always is king. Ignore anything else.

The bosses seem weirdly easy. For a series that prides itself on difficulty, the bosses usually go down with no problems.

The final level is annoying. More because of the long climb, plus you have to do it pretty perfectly as you fight a red devil at the top and then a load of bosses...

The second playthrough is where I am stuck. Namely at the penultimate boss. I think its the reduced range or much larger enemy health bar but I can't really beat the boss. Its really annoying as the second playthrough throws the difficulty up to expert mode at least which is fine for the first few levels but at this point its gotten a little too annoying as the weapon you have to use sucks against the boss. When I have a spare day I'll play around with it more, maybe knock the difficulty down a bit...

Its still a fantastic game though, pity about the length of the last bosses! Seems like its a common complaint though looking around message boards!

#12 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:47 AM

Ok, after finishing my 12 hour shift yesterday I was ready to give super GnG another try! For the record I'm playing the Japaneese verrsion, and the difficulty settings seem to do sod all!

First playthrough went well and I got up to the final boss again in no time. Still took me fucking forever to beat him though! The first phase is the harder phase in my opinion due to the unpredictable nature of his eye beam, add in your weapon having a short reach... You can expand that if you have the gold armor, so good luck if you lose it! The second phase is slightly easier to predict so once I got into the swing of things he finally died. They aren't hard fights, that's the kicker. Its just the thought of redoing the short level coupled with the huge health bars of each enemy.

So, onto the final boss Samael. Easy boss really. His strategy was easy to figure out and if you get the timing right you can hit him 4 times per attack pattern so he goes down quick.

Now I've only cleared the game once before, that was the PAL cart so I revisited that as well...

Either the difficulty is broken on the Japanese version or they thought Europeans were babies because the difficulty is dropped noticeably on "normal" difficulty. Enemies are missing and many enemies take WAY less hits to kill. Ramp the difficulty on the PAL game up to professional and you basically get the Japanese easy mode. Enemies take as much damage but they do seem a hair faster. I was amazed at how much the enemies had been toned down on the PAL version.

#13 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:55 AM

The great thing about buying a massive lot of Capcom Super Famicom games from Japan is I have no shortage of games to play... Next up - X-Men Mutant Apocalypse:

While I was drooling over Capcom's arcade/Saturn offering X-Men Children of the Atom, Capcom was also hard at work creating this console game for the Snes. Its a 2D side scrolling platformer/beat em up. Each character has a few special moves at their disposal, rather than having a dedicated button and a energy bar for mutant powers you have to pull off familiar button combinations to unleash your super moves (think Street Fighter).

The unique twist with the game is that it starts off giving each character their own separate level/mission. Only when you complete all of them can you move onto the next level. Its a really awesome thing to do, and each level is built with that characters traits in mind which results in 5 really awesome levels. Then the game kind of falters by giving you a few levels that anyone can clear. The levels are still good, but not close to the opening levels in my opinion. After you beat Apocalypse and a couple more filler bosses its off to Avalon/Asteroid M to fight Magneto. Back again are the split levels though you don't have to clear all 5 this time. Once you clear one level you fight Magneto. He's of varying difficulty depending on the character, each character can use their special powers to fight him in different ways.

As it stands this game has always been a huge favourite of mine, mainly for the opening few levels. Its a pity that they didn't keep that up throughout the entire game as it would have been even better. The Apocalypse level is fairly tough, I really can't work out how to do it with all the characters, not that it matters as Cyclops is easily the best equipped to deal with it. The Magneto levels and fight are a return to form, even if he's a bit of a bastard (Capcom didn't hide that fact, if you die against him, when you reach him next his health bar hasn't regenerated so you pick up where you left off).

Well worth getting if you can find it cheap, not quite sure if I prefer this one to Sega's take on the series but I do love how they did Beast in this game (they do him justice).

#14 TheShend

TheShend

You know it is, it really is!

• Founding Member
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:25 AM

Any Super Play readers from back int' day?

https://twitter.com/...550185929834496

DIoOGMNWsAAxlBr.jpg

The rumour is true: Super Play is back! 

Issue 172 of Retro Gamer will be packaged with a 52-page special edition of the Super Nintendo magazine to celebrate the forthcoming launch of Nintendo's SNES Classic Mini hardware. 

This one-off edition has been produced by original Super Play staff including Jason Brookes, Jonathan Davies, Tony Mott and Zy Nicholson, along with the Retro Gamer team and a band of seasoned Nintendo experts including Nathan Brown (Edge), Mark Green (NGamer), Keza MacDonald (Kotaku), Damien McFerran (Nintendo Life), Jeremy Parish (Retronauts) and Chris Schilling (Edge, Eurogamer). As art editor, Warren Brown (senior art ed of Future's videogame division) has resurrected Super Play's visual style to ensure it will be immediately familiar to fans of the '90s magazine.

Crucially, the new issue's cover is illustrated by Wil Overton, the artist behind every cover of Super Play's original 47-issue run. 

Features include:

- New reviews of 20 SNES games featured on the Mini console, alongside a cover story focused on Star Fox 2, including an exclusive interview with Dylan Cuthbert, one of the key developers behind the game
- The opportunity to win the original Wil Overton artwork used for Super Play's Secret Of Mana cover (issue 25), hand-painted on celluloid and signed by the artist.
- More prizes to win, including a SNES Mini console, the Contra III soundtrack on vinyl, Super Famicom: The Box Art Collection, and more.
- Plus: Super Play's SNES Mini hands-on test, Helen McCarthy's Anime World, What Cart?, import reviews, Fanhunter, the origins of the SNES and Super Play, and... some unfortunate news about Neko.

#15 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:41 AM

Never read it but I subscribe to Retro Gamer on my iPad so another 52 pages is great to have!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users