5 replies to this topic

#1 Singho

Singho

U CAN'T SEE MEEE!

• Admin
  • 11,144 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:05 PM

Hey

What with all the recent talk of people not owning their games, but rather just licensing them, it reminded me of an endless pursuit of picking up some games I got rid of in the past or stuff like AES games which were out of my reach.

So, in my pursuit of tracking down a few of my gems, I've wondered around Birmingham to some "random" retro game shops and stalls. I've mostly come away disappointed. I've had a look at ebay but I thought this would be a good place to see if we can help each other out by linking auctions and sales or offering to part with items from our own collections.

SNES

Super Punchout!!

OMG this game. I remember buying this just as my mates were getting Playstations. This game lasted me months and I'm pretty sure I could pick the game up and race through it as I had memorised all counter hits and patterns.

DKC 1-3

I loved these and I my dad had bought me 1 and 2 brand new from the store. Can't believe I got rid of them. I managed to play 3 by borrowing a mate's copy and also fully completed it. Loved the platforming, loved the secrets and music, would love to have them back on my shelf.

Killer Instinct

Saw one for sale in a retro shop for 30...without the Killer Cuts CD and a squashed box. *sigh*

Others
  • Super Mario World SFC
  • Super Mario Kart SFC
  • Super Mario Allstars
  • Assault Suits Valken
  • Super Contra SFC
  • UN Squadron
  • Super Ghouls n Ghosts
All of the above I had in my own collection as a kid and just got rid of them stupidly by trading them in for pennies. UNGGGHARGH.gif

Neo Geo AES

[World Heroes 2

This game was fucking amazing back in the day. It was one of the first games I had seen with the "MEGA SHOCK" attract screen. Huge massive sprites, booming sound effects...and a pirate that THREW SHARKS!!!

I was thinking of starting a Capcom and SNK Sega Saturn collection but I have no idea about that machine. Seems to be loads of different versions with RAM carts etc, but I am not too eager about that.

So...post up your Retro wants and let's see if we can help plug them holes in our shelves.

#2 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

Just as you suspected, everything I have told you is gibberish

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

The Saturn versions of the Capcom/SNK fighters aren't all that bad, once you sit down and look at which cart each is playable with. The first couple of King of Fighters ports (I'm not too sure about later releases in the series) used ROM carts and, because they each contained data essential to those games, they always come packaged with the disc.

For the Capcom games, you basically just want a 4MB RAM cart, which you'll find packaged with, for example, Street Fighter vs X-Men. That thing will open up all of Capcom's ports and you only need the one of them. It's even supposed to increase the amount of animation in non-RAM-cart-essential games like Marvel Super Heroes, but I've never managed to notice the difference (although I suppose it's possible that they took the extra data out of the PAL disc).

#3 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:13 PM

Only KOF95 used the ROM cart, which comes with it. 96 and 97 use the 1MB cart. 97 works fine with the later 4MB cart but 96 is glitchy. In either case, if you get the 1MB cart you're set for all SNK games.

The main thing I noticed using the RAM cart with MSH was more slowdown, really. Been a couple months since I last set up my Saturn, though. And my backup memory cartridge died! My Shining Force save! Sega Rally times! All that stuff!

#4 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

Just as you suspected, everything I have told you is gibberish

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:40 PM

Oops. I'd got it into my head that the first KoF to hit PAL waters was actually the second of them.

#5 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:17 PM

I think '94 was a little too early for a console conversion. That and the fact it was kind of half finished!

#6 hankwang

hankwang

please stop typing William

• Founding Member
  • 8,666 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:44 AM

QUOTE(E. Randy Dupre @ Jul 1 2013, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's even supposed to increase the amount of animation in non-RAM-cart-essential games like Marvel Super Heroes, but I've never managed to notice the difference (although I suppose it's possible that they took the extra data out of the PAL disc).

The story goes that Capcom and Sega had a deal brewing to bring MSH and XvsSF to US and PAL territories packaged with the RAM cart for an early 98 release. I know that much to be true because I rang Sega myself twice to say "IS IT HAPPENING" and "WHEN CAN I GET" (they said May, on both occasions). However what's been said by unconfirmed Sega staffers is that Capcom basically balked at Sega's planned RRP of /$49.99 for the pack and wanted to charge $/30 more WHICH IS STILL A GOOD PRICE FOR 2 GAMES AND A RAM PACK FUCK YOU SEGA and Sega said "NOOOOOOOOO".

So Capcom went with their original plans, self-published it in the US and Virgin stepped in to publish it in the EU and XvsSF never turned up. The option remains in the menu for the RAM cart, but only exists to slow the game down when it's turned on.

All well and good so far. Now as for the RAM cart, the game definitely slows down to fuck with a cart plugged in, either in 1MB or 3MB mode. It's on PlayStation level conversion and every fight turns into something on the level of Blackheart vs. Juggernaut in terms of speed. BUT WHY? When you use 3MB on the PAL version, there is more animation - unless you are a Singho you're largely not going to notice it, but check out the standing and crouching poses on the bigger characters. Juggernaut's a good test of this - crouching without RAM he is completely static. Crouching with RAM, he animates.

With the insane slowdown, it makes me believe the game does engage these extra frames without using the RAM. But the true test to confirm that, and I can't confirm this because I don't own a copy, would be to see if the Japanese version had the same slowdown when used with a RAM cart.

That's all from this week's episode of Tales from Saturn, join me next week when I will be sticking Sega Flash Vol 4 straight up Singho's arsehole.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users