Lunar: The Silver Star

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Moodmon

Moodmon
  • Founding Member
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

I'm looking forward to Planetside 2 being released in a week or so like you would not believe. However I've been looking for something to pass the time. Wanted to try a RPG that wasn't absolutely huge, and decided to play the PSX version of Lunar. I wasn't expecting the mechanics to be up to date at all, but I did hear good things about the characters and tone of the game.

Well sucks to be me. I have only played a few hours, but I am sick to the back teeth of them. You've got a wet blanket, an emo woman who cannot make up her mind if she wants to be emo, a useless fat guy and a complete prick. I just don't really care for any of these idiots so far. Now I am aware that with most RPGs the first few hours are awful. So that could all change.

However I don't think I'll get that far. I was expecting retro battles, but these things just seem joyless grinds. Every enemy can cause significant damage. Only Alex can really do any damage. Luna has to heal(fine), Nash is MP based (which means you need to save it for bosses) and Ramus is just a complete waste of time. I have never had so little fun fighting in a RPG.

Maybe I am being unfair. I'm comparing it in my mind to Chrono Trigger and FFVI. Now the former I am a massive fanboy for. Yet I cannot remember even FFVI giving me so much grief at such an early stage. Here the combat is basic but it takes forever.

Am I missing something? Do I need to persevere and it will get better? I do have Alex doing two attacks in one go now which helps a lot. Just struggling to muster up strength to play it some more. I'm thinking maybe it is just a bit too old school for me. Then again I'm guessing a few of you lot will have fond memories of this and are about to teach me the errors of my ways.

#2 Adrock

Adrock
  • Admin
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:54 PM

The PS1 version of Lunar, for me, was terrible.

I loved and enjoyed the Mega CD version immensely back when it first came out and it ages really well, I think. I will say, however, that if you're not enjoying it right now I dont think you will because it doesn't change very much at all.

This might be a case where you cut your losses and play something else for a while. Stick some more impressions up about Planetside though, I played the original quite a bit years ago and could be interested in the new one too.

#3 Adrock

Adrock
  • Admin
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:54 PM

The PS1 version of Lunar, for me, was terrible.

I loved and enjoyed the Mega CD version immensely back when it first came out and it ages really well, I think. I will say, however, that if you're not enjoying it right now I dont think you will because it doesn't change very much at all.

This might be a case where you cut your losses and play something else for a while. Stick some more impressions up about Planetside though, I played the original quite a bit years ago and could be interested in the new one too.

#4 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

Just as you suspected, everything I have told you is gibberish

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:58 PM

I tried playing the PSP version and hated it. It looks wonderful, but it's just dull. The storyline - or the opening, at any road - is tiresome. It probably wasn't at the time the original version came out, but now it's damned by association with all those other JRPGs that have been released since and start in exactly the same way.

PSP version's real killer, for me, was the loading. It has to load every screen and, when it does, the music stops, then starts again once the loading has finished. No excuse for this and it only serves to make the loading more obvious and more obnoxious.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users