Soundbars

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:57 PM

Anyone got one of these? I'm looking into buying one after a bonus at work and I was a bit concerned about potential input lag from an HDMI pass-through. I'd run everything from the TV but mine's a bit too old to run the sound back to the soundbar (a feature added in 2010 - my TV's a 2009 model).

#2 Adrock

Adrock
  • Admin
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:38 AM

Nothing about lag from me I'm afraid, not had any experience of doing it as you say.

I'd imagine, however, that the lag would be nigh on minimal and the sound improvement would be well worth the tiny lag if there is any.

I'm still shocked at the sound quality of supposed high end TV's.

#3 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:01 AM

Yeah, that's what you'd think but given how little of a shit lots of other (often extremely expensive) home AV stuff gives about input latency as long as picture and audio are synced it's a concern.

I'll head across to richer sounds at lunch and see what they have in my budget. Perhaps a 3.1 receiver setup - I'd have a lot more HDMI connections to play with then.

#4 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:28 PM

Decided to go with a proper receiver and some separate speakers instead. No sub for now as I didn't realise they cost so much for a decent one, and the room with all my game stuff in is small enough that a couple of bookshelf speakers should be more than enough bass.

#5 Adrock

Adrock
  • Admin
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:53 PM

Ah, so its for a games room? Good decision on the receiver, if you have the possibility of not having a sound bar you should go whole heartedly for that. Now you can tweak it, add speakers and subs and other bits as and when you want.

I had a fairly cheap Onkyo receiver a couple of years back and never noticed any lag whilst I used it. Sadly been demoted now due to not having the space for any speakers in the room.

#6 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:00 PM

It's going to be a little trickier for space, but I can stack boxes on the receiver and six HDMI sockets is better than three! Not to mention better sound quality, the ability to expand later, the DSP stuff which I can manage from my phone (!!!) and about £100 in savings. Should all be coming tomorrow, looking forward to it. First thing on it is either going to be Spinal Tap or Commando.

#7 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:40 PM

All installed. Big expensive boxes and speaker wire! The sound is absolutely great though, and really versatile too. One thing that sounded way better than I had assumed was Revenge of Shinobi, actually, though stuff like Inception was terrific. It's less that things are louder, you can just hear them more clearly and not obviously from one place. The HDMI switching is super useful, and airplay works surprisingly well considering all the audio is going across the network first. Big old 1/4" headphone jack as well so my HD595s will be getting a test with the virtual surround DSP.

In all, I would say that the extra space has been worth it. If you're looking for something like a sound bar and are thinking of spending a fair amount on it, a receiver setup is more versatile and upgradeable. I've still got space for 4 speakers and 2 subs, though I don't need any with the room all my game stuff is in right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users