This was the first E3 that I sat and watched many of the conferences (apart from Nintendo's; which I heard was strong). I'm usually put off by all the fluff and cheesy moments they throw up when on stage. It's usually pretty terrible. It felt a bit different this time, with a focus on the games.
Some thoughts on specific moments/games:-
- Anthem had a bit of 'wow' factor; but not sure exactly what it is. A co-op open world action-RPG with exo-suits? I'll be interested in this if it has a strong single player story.
- Looking forward to the Star Wars: Battlefront II campaign mode. It seems to be more of a focus; rather than an afterthought. I have no interest in the multiplayer.
- Middle Earth: Shadow of War is a day-one for me. I loved Shadow of Mordor.
- Xbox One X looks cool; but being a PC gamer and the fact MS are releasing all their games on Windows 10; it's not a consideration for me.
- Nothing new from the MS game lineup jumped out at me; apart from Ori and the Will of the Wisp. This is my most anticipated game.
- I liked the Sony conference focus on the games; and some of them look interesting; Uncharted, Days Gone, God of War, Detroit, Spiderman
- The Ubisoft conference was a bit cringe. The Mario & Rabbids game looked great though!!
- I heard that Assassin's Creed was getting a 'refresh'; but it didn't look any different to the other games! Yes, it has a bird mechanic and the melee combat looked to be an improvement; but gosh it's going to be another icon-hoovering affair again isn't it?
- Life is Strange: Before the Storm is a weird one. A proper sequel is in the works, but this is a prequel (telling the story of Chloe) without the time travel mechanic (obviously).
- Not sure how I felt about the Beyond Good and Evil 2 trailer. It seemed to go against the feel/atmosphere/tone of the original game.
- Metro Exodus looked good; but a scripted demo no doubt.
- Dishonored (standalone) DLC is a day-one for me. I like these games.
Feeling better about my intended PS4 Pro purchase based on what I saw from the Sony exclusive line up. Lots of games coming up that appeal.