4 replies to this topic

#1 plopboy

plopboy

I'm from the, uh, Confidential Committee on Moral Abuses

• Admin
  • 3,495 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:59 AM

I finished this last night and overall I really enjoyed the game and experience.

I liked the story progression and whilst the combat and puzzles weren't exactly difficult they at least felt part of the world. Some of the puzzles did feel like padding on occasion but I preferred that to just walking about.

I liked the implementation of the face mirror puzzles, that worked really well.

Combat was solid but became quite straight forward towards the end with only enemies spawning right behind me causing me any problem. I did like pacing of the combat, the slow tense feeling as the enemy approached, occasional raising both arms as if to say 'come on then' .

Boss battle where ok but it only felt tense as I was unsure how long they would last, the only thing I was a disappointed with was the final battle
Spoiler
but the voices gave me a prompt so it didn't bug me that much.

Speaking of voices I really liked the implementation of the voices in your head (I recommend head phones, otherwise I doesn't have the same impact in my opinion) not only to create an unsettling feeling but also gives you world and gameplay cues without obvious hand holding. Not quite subliminal but I definitely felt as though it didn't break the fourth wall.

The audio in general is very good and some of the fights have very lovely music which not only fits the world but really sets the right tone for the fights. 

Graphically it is great too, some nice lighting which is well used for some of the puzzles not just for general atmosphere and design. 

Coming back to the story, I really liked the way it developed and flowed. I enjoyed the listening to the runes which where really well voiced and acted. It just felt very consistent and engaging, though to be far the game itself is very immersive. Senua's performance was very good too, both in terms of voicing and acting. Though two things did grate for me, one was referring to Loki's daughter as Hela rather than Hel and for such and complex, disturbing and intriguing story I just felt the ending was a little too tidy and not satisfying for me.
Spoiler

Story spoiler
Spoiler

So as a sum of it's parts it is a very good if short game, but Ninja Theory did let themselves down again with their QA. I experience quite a few bugs in DMC and again unfortunately bugs appeared this game. I had a crash bug which sent back to the PS4 menu, a bug which meant I got hit after I defeated the last enemy in an encounter and my sword didn't sheath so I couldn't continue and had to reload and then my sword stayed sheathed for the final encounter. Whilst I didn't get the infamous game breaking glitch it did leave a bit of a sour taste in what is a relatively short game.  

Also what is the point of the perma-death feature?

So overall  I did really like the game and compared to other games, whether AAA or Indie, it stacks up really well, but I just wish they would schedule in a bit more time into QA.

#2 davejm

davejm

Joy.Discovery.Invention

• Admin
  • 3,646 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:53 AM

Thanks for the write up mate.  This is on my list; just wasn't sure whether to go for PC or PS4 (gonna have this dilemna a lot now I have a PS4 Pro!).

#3 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:25 AM

Whichever is cheaper of course! I'm waiting for a couple of patches myself.

#4 plopboy

plopboy

• Admin
  • 3,495 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:39 AM

Yes wait for the patches, I started another game just to collect the last few runes and ran into another crash bug and I have read that there are other bugs too. Having said that I have managed to complete the game but if you want an experience unspoilt by bug then I would wait for patches. 

The bugs are a real shame as the whole project are result are a good example of what can be achieved on a smaller budget.

I'd recommend the dev diaries as it gives a nice insight into the development process, if you are interested in that sort of thing.

#5 plopboy

plopboy

• Admin
  • 3,495 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 09 September 2017 - 11:03 AM

So it turns out there is no Perma Death, it was supposedly just NT trying to give the player a sense of danger but it doesn't exist. I suppose that is trying to fit in with the themes of the game.

Anyway I finished off all the trophies as I only had one left after finishing the game and even though I had to play through it again I only need to do about 3/4 of the game.

It is quite short in the end and limited replay value. It would have been nice to have a rune player, so you could listen to the lore in order as the voice acting is very good and maybe a bloody p[lace mode, just something to make me fire it up again.

Anyway a new patch is out http://www.hellblade...-1-02-released/ which fixes some of the problems people where having, though it seem like the event handling bugs are still present from reading the comments. Though events not firing properly seems to be inherent in NT games as this was a problem I encountered in their previous games including Devil May Cry.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PS4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users