PS4

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,247 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:54 AM

I first got into the DJ Max series thanks to the Vita, so this is really my first "classic" DJ Max game I've played, so its great news that its basically a "best of" package from the earlier PSP games... 

Its pretty straight forward in terms of modes - arcade mode which is your standard "pick 3 tracks to complete", free play mode which lets you play any unlocked music on any difficulty, mission mode which pits you against tough challenges (clear X songs while only missing 10 notes, get a certain % completion score etc.) and an online mode which I believe has you face off against other players in a score attack style mode. I've not tried that last one yet though.

In fact, I've barely scratched the surface of the game. For starters, there is a lot of stuff to unlock. I've just about hit level 30 and I'm still getting pop ups after songs that tell me I've unlocked new songs/gallery items/videos etc. There's around 140 base songs in the game comprised of DJ Max Portable 1, 2 (PSP games) with around 40 of the tracks being all new to the series.

And the difficulty options... You can select from 4B, 5B, 6B and 8B - basically choosing the number of buttons you'll be using in the game. 4 button mode is "easy" mode, you only need to focus on left and up on the D Pad, and triangle and circle face buttons. 5B introduces right on the dpad and square face button that are used to hit the same note, with 8B introducing shoulder buttons into the mix. I've only dabbled with 4B and 5B so far, can't imagine how hard things will be on anything else! In addition to these modes you have normal and hard modes for songs and some even have an even harder mode if you hate yourself that much! So yeah, good luck finishing all the songs in a timely manor!

And that's it really, I've mainly been trying to get my timing down (S ranks are pretty tough to get at the moment, I've got a handful and can feel myself getting much better, but I can't imagine I'll get many outside of easier 4B songs). DLC is coming to add further games tracks (like Technika Tune) to this game, which I absolutely can't wait for. Oh, and the trophies are incredibly hard - good luck getting combo trophy for this one, you'll need to get a free play combo of 999,999 (not a typo!)

#2 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:29 AM

Slightly annoyed that I can't buy this til November - that's when it is out in the J store and I understand there's going to be DLC so I'm not that interested in setting up a fourth account on my PS4! It does seem like a big base package though.

I played some of the PSP ones when they were current. I was never a fan of having to time Fever activations and its apparent inclusion this time around is putting me off a bit to be honest.

#3 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,247 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:45 AM

Yeah, I couldn't wait so just grabbed it now! Ideally i should have waited so that I didn't need another SEN account, but who knows when/if the game will get a UK release... 

I'm glad for auto fever activation in this, just because its one less thing on my mind. I'm sure it'll mess up my scores/combos on certain songs but until I've gotten to a point where I'm good enough where this becomes an issue I don't think I'll worry! I'm just going to concentrate with trying to perfect the songs as much as I can for the time being.

#4 qazimod

qazimod

• Founding Member
  • 2,445 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 07 August 2017 - 11:35 AM

Thanks for the impressions. :) I played a bit of Fever back in the day and I've had an eye on this but I don't know if my thumbs are up to the task of going back to the DJ Max format - Superbeat Xonic's touchscreen tapping has spoiled me!

I checked some of the tracks on YouTube and they look great - I love the visualisation and music of Don't Die :D 

#5 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 12:07 PM

It isn't looking too expensive in Japan - I think it's less than 6000 yen for the download, which is a nice change at a time when Dragon Quest is pretty much a full 10,000.

Edit: remember that Superbeat is happening on Switch!

Edited by uiruki, 07 August 2017 - 12:07 PM.

#6 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,247 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 07 August 2017 - 12:24 PM

Thanks for the impressions. :) I played a bit of Fever back in the day and I've had an eye on this but I don't know if my thumbs are up to the task of going back to the DJ Max format - Superbeat Xonic's touchscreen tapping has spoiled me!

I checked some of the tracks on YouTube and they look great - I love the visualisation and music of Don't Die :D

How good are the touch controls on Superbeat? I never used them myself, preferred the physical controls which work fine for the most part, I totally suck at the last few songs on anything above 4 Trax difficulty though!

#7 qazimod

qazimod

• Founding Member
  • 2,445 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:23 PM

How good are the touch controls on Superbeat? I never used them myself, preferred the physical controls which work fine for the most part, I totally suck at the last few songs on anything above 4 Trax difficulty though!

My preferred method of play was the touch controls - since you're tapping on the outside of the screen you never have the Ouendan/EBA problem where your fingers cover incoming notes as you reach for other notes. Most of the time they're really responsive, although the "flicked" (yellow) notes can be hit and miss, and trying to deal with a load of them in quick succession can be a problem.

Have you tried Respect with Remote Play on Vita yet?

#8 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,247 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:46 AM

My preferred method of play was the touch controls - since you're tapping on the outside of the screen you never have the Ouendan/EBA problem where your fingers cover incoming notes as you reach for other notes. Most of the time they're really responsive, although the "flicked" (yellow) notes can be hit and miss, and trying to deal with a load of them in quick succession can be a problem.

Have you tried Respect with Remote Play on Vita yet?

The yellow flick notes are pretty tough no matter the controls! I've not tried remote play yet, seems to me that if it has any lag what so ever it'd ruin the experience but I might have to give it a go if I get some free time!

The mission mode is hard as nails as well, not sure if I mentioned how they get really tough really fast! The first wave of missions are ok (once you get 5B controls down), the second wave of missions really amp things up, I've managed 4 of them so far and I think I'm done until I can really get 5B and 6B controls down (so that'll be a while then!)

For now I just plan to play arcade/freeplay and try to understand what the heck most of the trophies mean!

#9 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

Just as you suspected, everything I have told you is gibberish

• Admin
  • 8,843 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:58 PM

Mission mode was always a pain in the arse in the DJMP games. You'd do okay and then bam, brick wall of difficulty. Unless you were playing Black Square, in which case the brick wall of difficulty was there right from the beginning. Similarly, the games often gated content behind ridiculous barriers - I'm absolutely fine with the concept of unlocking new tunes as you hit certain score or progress milestones, but if you're going to make the late game absurdly difficult, you shouldn't be locking off new tunes behind challenges that only a tiny percentage of the fanbase is ever going to be able to access.

#10 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,247 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:30 AM

Ah ok. Guess its just Superbeat Xonic that lured me into a false sense of security then, as many of those challenges are fairly fair, but I can see Respects getting bastard hard from the 3rd tier and up.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PS4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users