226 replies to this topic

#1 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

Just as you suspected, everything I have told you is gibberish

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 09 March 2006 - 11:03 PM

Right, I've got collector-hate. Always have done. Owning every single game for a specific console, having to have the spine cards, making sure that you only ever get the carts/CDs out in a vacuum-sealed room while you're wearing a pair of sterilised gloves and breathing through a tube - it's shithead territory, really. A way of showing how much money you have and nothing else.

But. Butbutbut. There's a certain type of collecting that I can get behind. It's this - identifying a series of games that you love and trying to grab hold of as much associated stuff as you can. I don't think there's any doubt that Jake's OutRun collection looks pretty fucking mint and I'm sure that, even though he can't play half of it (and probably wouldn't want to, given how shit a lot of the home versions were) it only serves to increase his appreciation for and enjoyment of the games that he can.

It's also a decent idea because it doesn't demand a huge investment of cash. You just have to be a little bit dedicated and a little bit lucky.

So what I was thinking was, why don't we each settle on one series that we really get a kick out of and see how much of the shit that goes with it we can get our hands on? Jake's made a start with OutRun, but there's plenty more cack for him to find there. Me, I've been thinking of trying to get hold of as many different versions of Parodius as I can - not just because it's a series of games that I really like, but also because every single version has something unique about it (afaik, anyway).

Anybody else up for some of this? Or is it the shittiest idea evah?

#2 Super Stu

Super Stu
  • 13,675 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 11:10 PM

Aye, I was impressed with Jake's outrun collection, foremost because I had some of those back in the day myself.

It's a great idea tbh, can't think off hand what I might centre one around. Will need some thought.

#3 Singho

Singho

U CAN'T SEE MEEE!

• Admin
  • 11,144 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 11:14 PM

Great idea E Randy...although...dont all look at me funny when I post all the stuff ive got for one particular series... :'(

Im not a mad collector as you are saying for say everything on one console, although I do look out for certain games\series that if the oppertunity comes up to buy it...its mine. The only over the top collecting thing I have caught myself almost getting caught up in was getting every single Japanese DC Capcom fighting game released...not to much of a hard task, and tbh, shouldnt be the costly. Thats not that bad is it?... :'(

Still got quite a few left though, although I would of had most of them had I had been more clear in a pm to someone about the remaining games that all happened to be in one "For Sale" thread. God I was so gutted...

Anyway...ill get some pics of the mini collectathon up soon. But Randy...POST THEM PARODIUS PICS NOW YOU CHUFFING GEEK! tongue.gif

Edit

Whys this been moved into classic gaming? Put it back in General tbh. :[

Edited by Singho, 10 March 2006 - 01:27 AM.

#4 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 09 March 2006 - 11:49 PM

laugh.gif I've hardly got anything at the mo, Singho - just the four Saturn releases. Will be making a start on it soon, though.

I thought we could nominate you to collect every home version of every Street Fighter game ever made wink.gif

#5 Smegaman

Smegaman

Nissan Powah!!1

• Donator
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 08:53 AM

I've been doin this with CastleVania for a few years now and unless I decide to buy games from each region too, I just need a saturn Symphony of the Night, the PC Engine version and the latest PS2/Xbox one (I think) smile.gif my m8 buys absolutely anything Sonic related (gamewise, theres far too much merchandise) an thats even going as far as down to the country the cartridge was manufactured in.

Edited by Smegaman, 10 March 2006 - 08:54 AM.

#6 Smegaman

Smegaman

Nissan Powah!!1

• Donator
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 11:47 PM

well, I got the PC Engine version now biggrin.gif annoying that they've released another bloody CV for Jpn PS2 tongue.gif as soon as I get 1 closer another gets released.

#7 MD

MD

More annoying then a drunk sony fanboy.

• Banned
  • 748 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 11:49 PM

Picked up Wonderswan and Playstation versions of Puyo Puyo 2 so I am getting closer to having an ultimate Puyo Puyo collection.

#8 Guest_Jim Rob_*

Guest_Jim Rob_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2006 - 09:24 AM

I think Babelrich has got all of the mario parties XD

#9 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 14 June 2006 - 06:54 PM

Smeg> I think we can probably let you off the PS2 Castlevanias. What with them being a bit dump and all ;p

Got some lovely Parodius stuff recently without having to pay through the nose for it. Minty fresh copies of the GB and PCE versions, and also of the SNES version of Jikkyou Osyaberi. Well chuffed with the GB one, in particular - it's like the thing's been sealed away in an airtight container since the day of release (and, as far as I can tell, it's not a Ninfendo bootleg). Was umming and ahhing over MSX and X68000 versions a month or so back, but figured that was going too far given that I've not got the bloody machines. Did get the Saturn Konami Antiques Colelction, though, which has the MSX version on, so WIN. And I've a feeling that the X68000 version doesn't have any exlusive stuff in it anyhoo - dunno for sure, can't get X68000 emulators to work on my PC and the machine's really poorly documented on the web, so it's my one weak link.

Was also tempted to expand this to the Gradius games, but that would clearly make me a complete fucking loon.

Oh, and btw - expecting photos of hauls from those participating wink.gif

#10 MD

MD

• Banned
  • 748 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 08:22 PM

The X68000 and MSX versions of castlevania are nice to have on the shelf as they take up quite a bit of shelf space. If you can find them cheap (unlikely) then I would get them just for the boxes.

I do have the PC-9801 version of Puyo Puyo. I am never going to play it but the extras in the box and the cheapness ($20) made it a worthwhile purchase.

Gradius? Now that would be an interesting one to collect for, given the number of conersions and machines it is on. xd.gif Space Harrier would be another fun one to collect...

#11 Smegaman

Smegaman

Nissan Powah!!1

• Donator
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 06:37 PM

Well this is what I got so far (I got another 2 GB castlevanias that are cart only too not pictured). Yeah I need to get the X68000 and MSX versions of CV, currently watching an MSX version but it's 49 buy it now.

Anyway from top to bottom goin from left to right I got:

Dracula X (Rondo of Blood?): PC Engine Super CD
CastleVania Symphony of the Night: US PS1
CastleVania Chronicles: US PS1
CastleVania Symphony of the Night Collectors Edition: PAL PS1
CastleVania Bloodlines: Genesis
CastleVania: (Circle of the Moon) GBA
CastleVania Harmony of Dissonance: GBA
CastleVania Aria of Sorrow: GBA
CastleVania Dawn of Sorrow: DS
CastleVania: PAL N64
CastleVania Legacy of Darkness: PAL N64
CastleVania (Lament of Innocence): PAL PS2
CastleVania: PAL NES
CastleVania II Simon's Quest: PAL NES
CastleVania III Draculas Curse: PAL NES
CastleVania Legends: GB
CastleVania A Vampires Kiss: PAL SNES
Super CastleVania 4: PAL SNES
Super CastleVania 4: JPN Super Famicom

(Not pictured: Super CastleVania 4 US SNES, CastleVania: Belmonts Revenge GB, CastleVania Adventure GB)

#12 Melody

Melody

Is probably playing WoW

• 1,165 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 12:25 AM

I am tempted to start a PS1/PS2 DDR collection at some point this summer. I would probably just stick to Japanese releases otherwise i'd be doubling up too often... well that and the exclusives for the US and Euro mix releases are a bit naff anyway. A healthy balance I think smile.gif

#13 Smegaman

Smegaman

Nissan Powah!!1

• Donator
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 11:17 PM

especially the EU versions, we get what? 20-30 songs per game as opposed to the 100+ the rest of the world gets sad.gif

#14 MD

MD

• Banned
  • 748 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 02:09 AM

Right games I am going to collect for... biggrin.gif

Puyo Puyo
Idol Suchie Pai Mahjong
Super Real Mahjong

biggrin.gif

#15 Pij

Pij

AKA Kittan

• Donator
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE(Melody @ Jun 17 2006, 01:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am tempted to start a PS1/PS2 DDR collection at some point this summer. I would probably just stick to Japanese releases otherwise i'd be doubling up too often... well that and the exclusives for the US and Euro mix releases are a bit naff anyway. A healthy balance I think smile.gif

US Extreme 2 is one of the best imo, better than Str!ke (mostly as it has my my my and spin spin sugar (although Stri!ke might have spin spin sugar) Extreme(US) is utter pap though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users