Useful links for translated episodes on this Facebook page: SA Gccx

#17 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

Just as you suspected, everything I have told you is gibberish

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:49 PM

Watching the Densha de Go episode that's just hit YouTube. While it's good to see a widescreen ep that *isn't* shoved into a tiny letterbox to make way for the subtitles, the decision to translate game names is truly bizarre. Densha de Go is called Densha de Go, not 'Go by Train', in exactly the same way that Detana Twinbee is called Detana Twinbee (or 'Bells & Whistles', if you must), not 'Here Comes Twinbee'.

#18 hankwang

hankwang

please stop typing William

• Founding Member
  • 8,666 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:24 PM

The mantra of the translation team is very much to make it accessible to all, Randy. So shoving subtitles that say "Densha De Go" all around to an audience that doesn't really know the game is definitely going to be counter productive (and trust me, reading the Something Awful thread on the whole thing proves it's an audience that doesn't really know at all).

#19 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:55 PM

It just seems bonkers to do it for games that never got a translated release, because their translated titles are going to be even less recognisable than the original Japanese. The Twinbee one is particularly odd, given that it did get an official English name that had nothing to do with its original title, but they've chosen to ignore than and go for a direct translation of the Japanese instead.

They're still far ahead of the TV-Nihon subs, though, I'll give them that. Example of just how little attention is paid in those? There's one TV-Nihon-translated episode - I forget which - where Arino is timing a button press by repeating "2, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1..." in time with the numbers 2 and 1 appearing on the screen. That's 2 and 1 in Arabic numerals, as I've typed them here. And yet, somehow, the translation still team manage to sub it "2, 1, 1, 2" UNGGGHARGH.gif

#20 hankwang

hankwang

• Founding Member
  • 8,666 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:06 PM

I guess it's more the aspect of making it open to everyone. I mean, you don't need to specifically be a gamer to enjoy the show. You can be a Japanese culture dork and still get a lot from it. Arino makes it more than the games themselves, most of the time.

As a gamer, I completely understand what you mean. As a viewer, I'm okay with it.

#21 hankwang

hankwang

• Founding Member
  • 8,666 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:07 PM

QUOTE(Mr Sands @ Feb 20 2012, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Useful links for translated episodes on this Facebook page: SA Gccx

I almost forgot: Thanks for this man, I need to get back to downloading the older episodes!

#22 Mr Sands

Mr Sands
  • 442 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE(hankwang @ Mar 1 2012, 08:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I almost forgot: Thanks for this man, I need to get back to downloading the older episodes!

Turns out a lot of the older links are broken unfortunately.

#23 Tokyochojin

Tokyochojin

"You dare bring light to mah lair, YOU MUST DIE!"

• 1,409 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:38 AM

I watched the Donkey Kong Country epsiode of this on Japanese TV last week, pretty entertaining stuff and watching him constantly mess up on the barrel level, before scraping through reminded me of how tough that game was.

#24 hankwang

hankwang

• Founding Member
  • 8,666 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:19 PM

So Zari-Gani of Something Awful (who some of you may know as Nina Matsumoto, a Simpsons comic book artist regular) who subs most of the episodes has apparently got a gig retranslating the Kotaku episodes for a US DVD release under the Retro Game Master name.

Fansubs - not just a pirate's wet dream.

#25 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

I've not seen the Kotaku episodes and I've no intention of watching them, because the best stuff in the episodes is nearly always the bits that aren't Arino's Challenge - the arcade trips, the features. The bits that Kotaku chucked in the bin, in other words. If they've not been restored, I can't see the point of a DVD release, re-subbed or not.

#26 hankwang

hankwang

• Founding Member
  • 8,666 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:12 PM

Sadly they weren't part of the license. Kotaku licensed the DVD content, which didn't include any of the extra features.

For me it's the package as a whole. Arino's incompetence interests me as much as seeing a bizarre game such as Shadowlands.

It's a shame that the features aren't included, of course, but I'm quite happy to take subtitled versions of those challenges. I braved the Kotaku episodes and although they're dire I still got a lot from them as a GCCX fan (and one that, having watched all the other episodes, can put the gaps together - again, it's no wonder these episodes completely failed with the complete lack of reference given by the Kotaku effort).

#27 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:51 AM

QUOTE(hankwang @ Mar 11 2012, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So Zari-Gani of Something Awful (who some of you may know as Nina Matsumoto, a Simpsons comic book artist regular) who subs most of the episodes has apparently got a gig retranslating the Kotaku episodes for a US DVD release under the Retro Game Master name.

Fansubs - not just a pirate's wet dream.

Nice. Are they firing Patrick Harlan's horrible narration out of the window, too? Even Producer Kan trying to speak English would be better than him.

#28 hankwang

hankwang

• Founding Member
  • 8,666 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE(uiruki @ Mar 12 2012, 06:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are they firing Patrick Harlan's horrible narration out of the window, too? Even Producer Kan trying to speak English would be better than him.

English and Japanese soundtrack selection, AFAIK.

#29 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:58 AM

Sounds good! I'm sure they'll be priced far more reasonably than the Japanese boxes, too.

#30 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

For the last few months, the go-to YouTube channel for Game Center CX subs has been GamingCX - it's the only channel I've found that consistently makes the new ones available and has a pretty thorough list of the older ones.

At some point in the last 24 hours, YouTube took it all down. Apparently, somebody's complained about copyright. So if anybody else is still keeping up with the subs, it looks like torrents are soon going to become the only option.

Ridiculous. Like anybody was going to bring out official subs of the episodes that have already been made available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users