PS2 Emulation

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 Adrock

Adrock
  • Admin
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

So I've been playing Rogue Galaxy quite extensively and I'm upto over 30 hours on it. I didn't want to bump a five year old thread so I decided to just say in here that the difference a 1080p resolution makes on the artwork is immense.

It has breathed new life into the PS2 games I own immeasurably. As for Rogue Galaxy, its a decent enough game but its not hit the heights of DQ8 yet and I'm not sure it will either.

Anyone got any recommendations for games that benefit from the extra clarity PCSX2 can lend to games?

#17 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

Plenty of ps2 games have ridiculous levels of detail you would never notice at 480i. Gradius 5 sticks in the mind as one.

#18 Adrock

Adrock
  • Admin
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

Thats good Uiruki, I got plenty to catch up with. I'm at the final boss of Rogue Galaxy so I'm about ready to start looking at another game. I'll have to check my collection.

#19 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

Just as you suspected, everything I have told you is gibberish

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

Is there any way of saving specific emulation settings for specific games, or is it just a case of having to remember/write down the most effective settings for each one?

#20 Siri

Siri
  • Founding Member
  • 3,734 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:53 PM

You can use specific INIs to load up different configs, and then alter the launch settings on whatever (for example, Steam custom shortcuts), to direct to that specific INI.

http://forums.pcsx2....ames-Separately

I'm not sure if things have changed since 2011, though - I know that with the dawn of 1.0, Certain Speed hacks do come into effect automatically when picking certain games based on their SLES code and so on, such as Persona 4. I'll fish out my PCSX log to show you an example.

EDIT: and here's the example!

Opening plugins...
Opening GS
Opening PAD
Opening SPU2
Opening CDVD
isoFile open ok: C:\Users\Home\Documents\Alcohol 120%\Persona 4.iso
Image type = DVD
Fileparts = 1
* CDVD Disk Open: DVD, Single layer or unknown:
* * Track 1: Data (Mode 1) (2151360 sectors)
Opening USB
Opening FW
Opening DEV9
McdSlot 0: C:\Users\Home\Documents\PCSX2\memcards\Mcd001.ps2
McdSlot 1: C:\Users\Home\Documents\PCSX2\memcards\Mcd002.ps2
Plugins opened successfully.
EE/iR5900-32 Recompiler Reset
Bios Found: USA v01.60(07/02/2002) Console
BIOS rom1 module not found, skipping...
BIOS rom2 module not found, skipping...
BIOS erom module not found, skipping...
(UpdateVSyncRate) Mode Changed to NTSC.
(UpdateVSyncRate) FPS Limit Changed : 59.94 fps
(SYSTEM.CNF) Detected PS2 Disc = cdrom0:\SLES_554.74;1
(SYSTEM.CNF) Software version = 1.00
(SYSTEM.CNF) Disc region type = PAL
ELF (cdrom0:\SLES_554.74;1) Game CRC = 0x117D1977, EntryPoint = 0x00100008
(SYSTEM.CNF) Detected PS2 Disc = cdrom0:\SLES_554.74;1
(SYSTEM.CNF) Software version = 1.00
(SYSTEM.CNF) Disc region type = PAL
(GameDB) Enabled Gamefix: VuClipFlagHack
Cheats found!
Cheats Loaded: 13
EE/iR5900-32 Recompiler Reset
(UpdateVSyncRate) Mode Changed to PAL.
(UpdateVSyncRate) FPS Limit Changed : 50.00 fps

Edited by Siri, 02 March 2013 - 12:57 PM.

#21 Siri

Siri
  • Founding Member
  • 3,734 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:11 PM

Oh, and if you go through the Steam Route specifically when it comes to loading PCSX2 games up, I can offer up some additional tidbits in regards to custom shortcuts which will cause you far less headaches when shit breaks.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

And you probably know this already, but Shift + Right click together is a fucking godsend for custom shortcuts, as it lets you select a certain file and pick "Copy as path". Boom, half of your work done on Windows 7, considering how shit the explorer bar is now.

Edited by Siri, 02 March 2013 - 01:12 PM.

#22 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

Just as you suspected, everything I have told you is gibberish

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:54 PM

That's great. Cheers Siri.

#23 Siri

Siri
  • Founding Member
  • 3,734 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:55 PM

Oh man, so I've been banging on about PCSX2 over at RLLMUK, and for some reason I started to hanker for some Tekken 5. Problem - I always thought it was going to run a bit shit, seeing as I always remember that every single time I've attempted to run a Tekken game before via an emu (mainly Tekken 3 on the PS1), it would always turn out - well - a bit shit. Half the framerate, looks like toss, yadda yadda.

As it turns out, it runs fine. 60fps about 95% of the time, with any slight frameskip not being taken notice of as I basically godfist the crap out of everything in the Arcade Mode. Fucking lovely. The only issue is that anything above 1020 resolution causes black vertical lines, but that's no real showstopper compared to dropped inputs that could happen. Which, well, doesn't.

There's also Fire Pro Wrestling Returns and Capcom vs. SNK 2 sitting in the created ISO folder of ImgBurn/Alcohol 120%, and they're all fantastic. Although the bashing of my TE is totally not helping my bureau desk's foundations..

#24 Adrock

Adrock
  • Admin
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:06 PM

PCSX2 is an amazing emulator. I use it exclusively for my PS2 games now. Last I played was Rogue Galaxy, got to the last boss and haven't been back to it for some reason :/

I still have a massive list of games to play though, all sitting in a box upstairs never to be touched again because PCSX2 allows me the freedom to do it all from the PC, with a PS2 pad too.

I must say though siri, Tekken is such a shit series.

#25 Siri

Siri
  • Founding Member
  • 3,734 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:25 PM

WRONG. The only crap one was 4, And that was only shit because it was some god-awful eight way movement pish.

I kind of want to load up Alpha Collection, but my copy is sealed. Time to scour the internet for hooky copies! The only game I've tried and runs like shit so far is Gran Turismo 4, but to be perfectly honest that's going to happen when it's pulling so much resources. Star Ocean's staring at me, but I'll probably be forced to punch a cat to death after playing it for five minutes.

Amusingly, the Capcom fighters all use the same R1/R2 config as Heavy/Roundhouse, which matches up perfectly with the 360's RB/RT config on the TE. Apple 'it just works' slogans all up in this bitch.

#26 Adrock

Adrock
  • Admin
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:49 PM

I've been using mine to mainly catch up on JRPGs, which is a bit of a shit because they take whole months of your gaming life away. I've got Dark Chronicle, Stella Deus, Dark Cloud, Dragon Quest and that Valkyrie norse mythology thing off the top of the my head to get started on. There are 20-30 games sitting in the box though :/

#27 Siri

Siri
  • Founding Member
  • 3,734 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:21 AM

Protip for everyone: There's definitely some games that are, well, just fucked for PCSX2.

One of them's the Street Fighter Alpha Anthology, which I was after having a go of this evening - As it turns out, there seems to be big issues surrounding how GDSX works with it in Hardware, and even when you set it to software will run at a crawl.

While this is pretty funny given that some native games run so well (Including most modern 2D fighters, such as KOFXI), the problem is actually quite simple - The games are emulated on the PS2 processor, and the only thing that gets off-loaded from the system is the Q-Sound audio, which is converted to that sound engine that popped up for all the Capcom games.

So basically, it's working the PS2's CPU properly, and the only way you can overcome that is by having a pretty fast processor to just brute force it without the Multithreading or GSDX Hardware Modes. So, you're looking at about 3.9Ghz and probably a decent instruction set to run it properly. Something to look forward to when Haswell drops, I suppose!

#28 plopboy

plopboy

I'm from the, uh, Confidential Committee on Moral Abuses

• Admin
  • 3,497 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:23 PM

Hello everybody, I have just joined the revolution. I have my wired 360 pad, Win7 and a couple of isos.

So far I have tried without changing any settings

God Hand - works really well nothing obvious yet

Monster Hunter - same as above

and 

Yakuza - booted up in spanish and the cutscenes are blurry but otherwise ran really well.

I'm not sure what to try next, maybe Fire Pro and Everblue.

#29 Siri

Siri
  • Founding Member
  • 3,734 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:10 PM

FIRE PRO IS THE BEST GAME EVER AND YOU SHOULD PLAY THAT

Really, the only games that are proving to be a challenge on my pretty dated CPU is either highly advanced games (like GT4), or games that strictly tap into the EE/GS/SPU to emulate older games (Namely, Street Fighter Alpha Collection and probably a whole bunch of Sega Compilations). Timesplitters runs fast, but using any form of graphics acceleration like Gdsx causes it to become buggy as shit, so I'm probably better off running it in Dolphin.

Direct ports like CVS2 work fine.

#30 qazimod

qazimod

• Founding Member
  • 2,458 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:24 PM

Pentium E5300 Dual Core, apparently. I have two PCs at the moment; one laptop which I use for general browsing and internet activity and the more powerful desktop that I've been testing PCSX on (although officially I'm supposed to be using it for video capture and editing rather than gaming tongue.gif )

I didn't get too far into P4 when testing it because the intro takes about 85 hours to finish but I saw the cutscenes, did some battles and moved around places. But yeah, it's amazing how much polish has been applied to the visuals... wub.gif Now all I need is a decent USB controller. tongue.gif

Qazi from 2012 was such a noob. Since then I've upgraded to an i7 and games run a lot better after being ripped. I still haven't got myself a USB controller though  :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users