• Please log in to reply
208 replies to this topic

#16 qazimod

qazimod

• Founding Member
  • 2,458 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 30 May 2010 - 05:56 PM

Just went back to Mega Man Powered Up as I still have an Old Style save and - surprise - the furthest I had got on it was the Yellow Devil. I decided to have another bash, and it's only now I realise that it's a fixed pattern rather than a random one. I'm not sure if it's the same on the NES version, but if you look at the thing below, there are five different heights that the yellow blobs can come from, and in Powered Up the pattern is as per the spoiler text below:

CODE
1-----1
2-----2
3-----3
4-----4
5-----5

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

... and so I just had to jump the blobs moving from positions 4 and 5. Hmm. dry.gif The boss in the NES game is much faster though if I recall.

Edited by qazimod, 30 May 2010 - 05:58 PM.

#17 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

Just as you suspected, everything I have told you is gibberish

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:17 PM

Yeah, that's where I was struggling. Although, that said, the opening section of that level is a nightmare, too - I have great difficulty getting past the Big Eyes unharmed. Also, the bit immediately after them, where there are the three fire geysers -I somehow managed to jump these perfectly, without even having to stop and think about it, the very first time I got to them. Every time since, nope. I'm now relying on the Ice Beam to freeze them - which is a trick I wasn't aware of until I watched a vid on youtube - but timing the shots in order to freeze them in a position where you can still get past is hellishly tricky.

But yeah, it's Yellow Devil who's causing hassle. I've more or less got the pattern down, but I always end up freaking out halfway through it and stuffing it up. Not tried today, yet. Might have a go in a bit. Don't want to glitch my way through it, because I'd feel cheap if I did that. Maybe if and when I playe the game again, but I want the first time I beat it to be without cheating.

#18 qazimod

qazimod

• Founding Member
  • 2,458 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:44 PM

Oh man sad.gif I always use the ice beam for those...

#19 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:38 AM

QUOTE(qazimod @ May 30 2010, 11:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh man sad.gif I always use the ice beam for those...

Same here. The big eyes are quite unpredictable when it comes to how high they will jump (they get easier from Megaman 3 onwards though) plus I always screw up on at least one of the fire geysers.

The final stage is really evil though. A couple of reall tricky jumps (technically possible but you need to be pixel perfect) plus several boss fights one after another (one of which is Fireman who is impossible to beat without taking damage) and then you have to fight Wily after all of that!

Thankfully MM2 is much more forgiving on the whole. Though Quickman's level always stands out in my mind as damn scary since back in the day the sound the lasers made always freaked me out! That and I was stuck for ages on the Fortress 4 boss (Those wall cannon things). Still my favourite MM game ever though.

#20 qazimod

qazimod

• Founding Member
  • 2,458 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:12 AM

QUOTE(shadowman @ May 31 2010, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thankfully MM2 is much more forgiving on the whole. Though Quickman's level always stands out in my mind as damn scary since back in the day the sound the lasers made always freaked me out! That and I was stuck for ages on the Fortress 4 boss (Those wall cannon things). Still my favourite MM game ever though.

Agreed about Quick Man; it's one of the most nerve-wracking bits of the robot master levels for me, but it's such a rush when you have the laser pattern down and can squeeze past them in time (without having to rely too much on Flash Man's weapon *cough* blush.gif )

Edited by qazimod, 31 May 2010 - 09:38 AM.

#21 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:05 PM

Oof. Beat the Yellow Devil

then onto Wily Stage 2.

Christ. What is it with Cutman? He either goes absolutely apeshit on your arse right from the off, jumping about all over the shop like a lunatic, or else he stands on the platform and makes himself an open target for the entire fight.

It's only now that I've got to the boss rush stages that I realise just how ineffective I am against most of them. Wily Stage 2 opens with an absolute nightmare of a section, too, with those helicopter things that home in on you at precisely the moment when you don't want them to: when you're trying to land a jump over a bottomless pit.

The clone Mega Man at the end of this stage = git. There's no pattern to his attacks. Just keep hammering aay at him and hope he dies before you do.

Got that one down, then onto the third. Pretty easy, actually. The boss is another than I never see myself managing to get through without taking any damage, but it's not too tricky if you don't care about that. I used the four blocks right at the beginning, then hammered it with the Thunder Beam while standing there and allowing msyelf to get shot to shit. An ugly and amateurish way of dealing with it, but it got the job done.

Wily Stage 4 now. Arg. Bosh rush time, big style. I absolutely cannot deal with Fireman's attacks and he's currently putting paid to the rest of my effort on this stage, because I come out of the battle with him with barely any health left. I think this is where the game really shows its age - modern releases would provide you with at least *some* health top-up between bosses. Even the X series gave you sub tanks, to use as and when you wanted.

And then there's the issue of saving/passwords. How come it stops after you've defeated the robot masters? How come there's no option to leave the game at the end of one of the Wily stages and return to it at a later date? Means I'm currently sat here with the PS2 left on, because I don't particularly want to take some of those earlier sections (Mega Man's evil clone in particular) on again.

These aren't my vids, btw. I've nicked them from here:

http://pinkkittyrose.com/videos.php

which is a great little resource.

#22 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:00 PM

Yeeeeaaaaah!

Not sure how the Anniversary Collection disc saves now, though. I presumed that it'd autosave after I'd completed one of the games, then allow me to load that save and either move onto another game or start a new one. Instead, it looks like it doesn't save at the end of the game, only after the last robot master level, so when you actually finish one you're effectively thrown out of the thing and have to start over, without a record of your completion status across all the games on the disc being kept. Which makes me wonder how the unlockables are supposed to work, or if I've already got them all ("them all" being a credits roll for the conversion team).

Time to move on! Mega Man 2, probably - I've too many other RPGs on the go at the moment to be starting Battle Network again.

#23 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:29 PM

Congrats on clearing Megaman. I still can't stand the final boss rush at the end of Wily stage 4 thanks to Fireman and Gutsman (can be really difficult to use the bombs effectively). Regarding the save system, all MM games (bar 7 strangely enough) let you save after each RM but once you hit the fortresses if you quit its right back to the begining. Its like one of the more annoying staples of the series.

I also managed to finish off a Megaman game this afternoon - Megaman Starforce Leo. The game is actually pretty easy up to the stories last boss which is slightly more challenging. The real challenge is getting all the SP boss cards (beat the bosses near flawlessly in as short time as possible). With the right cards some are pretty simple, others are... more tricky. Beating the games secret boss Leo to get an SP card is next to impossible unless you have a deck of super powerful cards and nerves of steel. Took me all afternoon to beat him!
To get an idea of what I mean, here's what the fight looks like. Oh and he also gets an undodgable attack that hits you for 500 damage if your not quick enough!

Edited by shadowman, 31 May 2010 - 07:31 PM.

#24 qazimod

qazimod

• Founding Member
  • 2,458 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:58 PM

You'll love Mega Man 2 - it's a bit of a cult classic in some communities I've seen, with plenty of YouTube tributes and mentions in "best of" lists. Compared to Mega Man it also seems much more polished and detailed in places, but it's still nice and challenging. I'd be interested to see how you tackle the eight robot masters, since your Mega Man 1 order was slightly different to my own. I guess that's another part of the series' appeal; there's always different ways to interpret and approach the challenges depending on what tools you have to hand...

#25 TheShend

TheShend

You know it is, it really is!

• Founding Member
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:14 AM

I was browsing an Italian forum when I came across a game for sale which instantly put me in mind of Megaman, it was a JPN Genesis game called Pulseman.

Looks alright really.

I've also read it got a release on WiiWare, what does our Megamen make of this obvious homage/rip-off?

#26 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:02 AM

I've been meaning to pick up Pulseman for a while since everyone keeps mentioning it is like Megaman. It looks really good from the above video. I forget, is it one of those MD games that can go for quite a bit?

In other Megaman related news it looks like the next game will not be X9 after all, instead it will be Megaman online:
http://protodudesroc...ls-surface.html

A 2D Side Scrolling Action RPG (whatever that entails) Kinda glad its being kept in 2D but I have visions of this at best never reaching us and at worst it'll go the way of Shenmue Online (was that ever actually officially cancelled?)

Also the Megaman Zero Collection is apparantly due out next week (according to the release date on Capcom Europes page). Has anyone seen it available for preorder? Most of the main gaming retailers don't have it listed at all which is worrying since a similar thing happened to MM Starforce 2 which got a European release in pretty much every country except the UK wacko.gif

#27 TheShend

TheShend

You know it is, it really is!

• Founding Member
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:11 AM

Oooh, is Megaman going a bit more Metroidvania with the Action RPG element?

Unsure if you can see this as you might need to be registered to view the sales threads, but the one I saw was posted earlier in the week for 60 euro w/special delivery, so roughly 50 of the queens pounds. It's in fabulous nick though.

#28 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:09 AM

QUOTE(TheShend @ Jun 3 2010, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oooh, is Megaman going a bit more Metroidvania with the Action RPG element?

That would certainly make sense. ZX and ZX Advent toyed with the idea of a larger Metroidvania style world with side missions and the like so the devs could well expand on that idea.

Unsure if you can see this as you might need to be registered to view the sales threads, but the one I saw was posted earlier in the week for 60 euro w/special delivery, so roughly 50 of the queens pounds. It's in fabulous nick though.

Sooooo tempting! I've got a big (expensive) haul of MM stuff hopefully arriving in a few weeks and I'm trying to watch what I spend. On the other hand...

#29 qazimod

qazimod

• Founding Member
  • 2,458 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:45 PM

Bit of an oldie this, but:

I think this is a pretty well-known TAS so I assume it's legit - Mega Mans 3-6 played on the same input, allegedly. wink.gif Near-impossible to watch though; I keep flicking my eyes between them looking for inconsistencies... tongue.gif

#30 bowser123

bowser123

Habadoodee! With a Reep-a-nazza.

• Moderators
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:50 PM

Sorry for being dense Qazimod, but same input? What does that mean? I'm guessing input refers to TV, so he's an octopus and is playing 4 games at once? That can't be right.
-------

Inspired by this thread I've gone back and tried some Mega Mans on the NES, and bought two Cube games. I got Network Transmission and Command Mission as they tie in with wanting to play some RPG's. Either will probably be the console game I play next. Any idea as to which might be better to start, or get into?

The NES game (emulated via my Xbox) that I've had most success with is Mega Man 2. I've actually managed to kill 3 bosses, which is pretty much the furthest I've ever got in a none "X" series, traditional MM. Granted I've cheated and looked up the best boss route to take, but this is still some acheivement for me. What I'm finding though is it's the platforming that's causing most frustration, rather than the shooting. I've found that you need to jump right at the very edge of the platform to make the leap, a split second too early and you miss the landing platform by about 2 pixels or something.
Which is a bit surprising in honesty. See, I thought I was alright at platformers given the sheer number I've done. Now I'm thinking they all allow a small window of grace to land the jump, that maybe MM doesn't. I'm not talking about jumping massively too early or out daft, in MM you seem to have to jump at the very, very edge or BAM, oblivion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users