• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Singho

Singho

U CAN'T SEE MEEE!

• Admin
  • 11,144 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 10:56 PM

Moved this lot away from the news thread into a feedback thread as to not clog up the Smash Bros discussion. Any more talk and debate of using impressions threads for guides here please -- Hank.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Started work on the thread, it's gonna end up being an epic piece of work!!!!!! XD

Been typing and hosting images and stuff on and off since about 4pm xD, i'll finish it off tommorow and post it up. Feel free to still talk about the game in here lads though, i'll move everything over if it needs it!

Edit

Thread is up

How to play Smash Bros: The Basics....*Click*

Edited by hankwang, 18 March 2008 - 11:20 AM.
added a foreword - Honk

#2 Valken

Valken

FEVER TIME!

• 3,037 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:51 AM

It's pretty cool you collated all this info, but I don't get a few things...

Where are the impressions?
Why would such a simple game need instructions?
Why would you post them in impressions?

And, I like your enthusiastic posting style, but sometimes I think all the images, bold and GIANT text and stuff is just too much.

(If this post is better off in the feedback forum, so be it)

#3 Singho

Singho

U CAN'T SEE MEEE!

• Admin
  • 11,144 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:42 PM

K, thread moved into Gaming Discussion. Best suited there and can be it's own independant FAQ\Guide thread where people can ask questions and stuff away from actual impressions of the game.

Why would such a simple game need instructions?

Even though all of the commands and movement button and control stick wise are simple to do, it's the application of them in a fight that some people may have difficulty with. Purpose of this "Basics" guide is to explain what you need to know, and with a bit of explanation it will stick into new players minds.

Even the simplest things need explanation inorder to get the best or most of it in a game. Just because you know you can Jump 3 times is one thing, but knowing you can use that ability to save yourself from falling off screen is another.

And, I like your enthusiastic posting style, but sometimes I think all the images, bold and GIANT text and stuff is just too much.

The images are not random, they are there for visual aids to certain aspects of the gameplay. It would be too much if it was just a wall of text. GIANT text is there so people can skip to the next section quickly without missing anything.

#4 Valken

Valken

FEVER TIME!

• 3,037 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:49 PM

I refuse to believe a Nintendo game needs explanation, and you need to understand that loads of images in a narrow page layout that needs lots of scrolling is a pain in the arse.

#5 Singho

Singho

U CAN'T SEE MEEE!

• Admin
  • 11,144 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:20 PM

It's a fighter, it may look cutesy but there is plenty to learn and has tons of depth and hidden depth in there, so refuse to believe it if you want. Plenty to learn and understand in the game, it's up to you or anyone else how much they want to get out of it, i'm not forcing you!

Basics Guide is there for people who want to understand basic mechanics of simple things such as gaurding, jumping, attacking and recovery. By all means you can still play it by making it up as you go along. I could have said, you can jump 3 times off the ground, twice in the air, you can block and evade through things, press different directions and attack buttons for different moves...but I like the way I've done it now. Explanation, situation and options available.

Page layout wise, it seems to fit fine on mine. It's not breaking the forum or page layout, everything fits within the page. If anyone is having troubles with that too, can you let me know? Thanks. All images are as small as possible, I didn't make the thread to choke your pc out. ;p

#6 Valken

Valken

FEVER TIME!

• 3,037 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:28 PM

I'm sure there's plenty of depth, but there's no need for an instruction manual reprint. Thanks for not forcing me to read the posts, I just went in to see impressions is all! biggrin.gif

My point about all the images, and while we're at it, unidentified Youtube vids embedded in posts, is that the post width is fixed, so you're introducing the need for more scrolling. I'm talking as much about "proper" design and layout here as I am personal preference.

I get the feeling you just don't want to take any suggestions on board, it's always been the way, you do what you like!

#7 Singho

Singho

U CAN'T SEE MEEE!

• Admin
  • 11,144 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:35 PM

Ermm, I moved the thread from impressions because you had a point, how do I not take suggestions on board? You feeling alright? I also answered your questions too...whats up?!

What unidentified Youtube vids? Theres one and it's got a title above it to show what it is. I was gonna add more to that but I thought it would do for now.

Also, it's not a reprint of the manual, I gaurantee you it hardly explains anything in the manual at all. This is why some people find it a bit overwhelming and the reason I tried to explain the mechanics in my own words and make it easier to understand.

I can only make a thread within the constraints of the board, if you've got any suggestions on how to remedy this, go ahead and say so in Feedback. As for the scrolling, I can't do anything if about it. If the post flows down the page, hows that my problem?

Anyway.

#8 Valken

Valken

FEVER TIME!

• 3,037 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:43 PM

Oh god, this could go on forever. We'll talk about it on MSN when you're about, okay?

#9 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

Just as you suspected, everything I have told you is gibberish

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:54 PM

Let's have a pointless argument about something completely unimportant! Yeah!

Fwiw, I consider Singho's posts to be some of the best on this board, precisely because of the style of them. you don't? Fine. Don't read them. Move on to the next thing, rather than being so damn rude for no good reason.

Edited by E. Randy Dupre, 17 March 2008 - 01:56 PM.

#10 Valken

Valken

FEVER TIME!

• 3,037 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:55 PM

Let's make a pointless post about it afterwards! yeah!

Edit: Heaven forbid I'd want to post my opinions about them. And moi? Rude? You're no mr nice guy yourself!

Edited by Valken, 17 March 2008 - 02:01 PM.

#11 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

Just as you suspected, everything I have told you is gibberish

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 17 March 2008 - 02:01 PM

You take the point, though?

#12 hankwang

hankwang

please stop typing William

• Founding Member
  • 8,666 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 02:04 PM

It stops now, gentlemen, please.

Whatever your opinion, Singho made a mistake posting it in the impressions thread. That has been resolved now, so let's move on.

#13 Guest_Rathen_*

Guest_Rathen_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:41 PM

The way things like this are usually done at other forums i go on is the person posts an impression about it, then follows it up with the megapost. I know we're not talking about this any more, but with a thread this well done it'd be a shame to lose it amongst the impressions when it actually comes out. I fucking hate Smash bros but this is such a good amount of info it must be made prominent.

#14 Singho

Singho

U CAN'T SEE MEEE!

• Admin
  • 11,144 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:23 AM

Thinking about it, I think the mistake was moving it from the impressions thread tbh. I just did it to safe grief really.

But, after pondering I think it should be in Impressions, because how can someone give impressions of the game if people don't know how to play it? I would have posted it later on anyway, just seems like a good intro for how to play the game and then people can go off play and post actual impressions of whethere they are enjoying it or not.

If you read any of the other Fighter threads, the main thing is "how to do X, Y, Z", the story and single player mode will be extra fluff at best. It would get lost in the middle or at the bottom of a page, it's best that it's all kept in one place. Trust me!

Whos with me?! ;\/

*Punches Valk in the arm

#15 Singho

Singho

U CAN'T SEE MEEE!

• Admin
  • 11,144 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:26 AM

QUOTE(Fuddle @ Mar 17 2008, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well i for one found some of this usefull.

the dodging stuff is good, and at least i understand what fox's down+special is now.
good stuff, i appreciate it happy.gif

(and personally i would have this in with impressions, just to keep everything together/tidy tongue.gif)

YES!

We've got 3 threads on it now!

QUOTE(Rathen @ Mar 17 2008, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The way things like this are usually done at other forums i go on is the person posts an impression about it, then follows it up with the megapost. I know we're not talking about this any more, but with a thread this well done it'd be a shame to lose it amongst the impressions when it actually comes out. I fucking hate Smash bros but this is such a good amount of info it must be made prominent.

I SAID THIS TOO! biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users