6 replies to this topic

#1 qazimod

qazimod

• Founding Member
  • 2,453 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:26 PM

OH GOD IT'S BEEN TOO LONG

Ever have that giddy feeling of excitement when there's a new game in a series you haven't played in ages, and then you finally get your hands on the new game - okay, a beta of the new game - and you're completely awful at it because you've unlearned everything? Yeah. That.

This morning I got an email saying that I had been picked for the Dissidia NT closed beta. Even though I skipped 012 and haven't played the original in ages, I always felt like Dissidia had potential as a series so would always want to check out new entries. Furthermore, the arcade game looked sweet and I wouldn't have thought that we'd get any new Dissidia on home consoles. But here we are. The beta's menu has three options - Matchmaking, Practice and Tutorial. Just like the PSP game, your roster has characters from various numbered FF games (here, they're picked from the first 14 games) and you can give them a "battle set" which is like a predetermined HP attack and pair of EX moves. You then select one of seven "summons" which each offer a pair of passive buffs - reduce opponent guard stamina, increase bravery recovery, increase dash recovery, increase max HP, and so on.

Before I go on, a quick catch up - in Dissidia you have bravery attacks and HP attacks - the former drains an enemy's "bravery" or attack power (by "drain" I mean that their attack power goes down and yours goes up) and the latter cashes out your accumulated attack power for one big strike. This means that everyone will be fighting over bravery and trying to get big hits in. There are also EX moves that act like big special moves and are on cooldowns, and absurdly long dashes that are governed by a stamina gauge  Anyway, the big thing about NT (for me at least) is the 3v3 format, as it means that you've always got to watch each others' backs and it's not as straightforward as the standard one on ones. A great feature of NT is that health gauges above players will glow in parts, showing how much they've been affected by bravery attacks. Therefore if someone on your team looks like they can be eliminated in one hit you've kind of got to look out for them.

The main aspect of combat that has been getting me killed is the curse of the long recovery - if I mistime a move and am left waiting for an animation to reset, I'm pretty much asking to get beaten down. That said, there are different characters on offer so I can always swap out my Onion Knight for someone else if it's just not working out :P Even so, combat is great most of the time and battles go by really quickly, so if you struggle in one match it's not long before you're on to the next one. Also, the presentation is really good - character models and arenas look great and the music's not bad. The one weird thing I experienced was this one moment when I was waiting for the game to find team-mates and I couldn't back out of the screen or check menus or anything, but that might be a beta thing.

Oh, as an aside - the tutorial is kind of terrible. It's a rolling video that's captioned with instructions and controller buttons whilst gameplay videos play. So you'll be trying to take in one thing and it'll instantly move on to the next before you're ready. And I think if you hit a button it backs out to the menu without warning. At least the beta includes an option to practice against AI opponents.

Anyway, if you like Dissidia combat you'll probably like this. The amount of decent fighters on the way - Marvel, DBZ, this, the Arika game - is amazing and terrifying at the same time, and I hope this doesn't get left behind. :)

Edited by qazimod, 30 August 2017 - 09:35 PM.

#2 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 07:49 PM

Must admit, I keep forgetting this exists. Was never a huge fan of the originals so that won't help.

Interesting that they've changed the tutorial to videos - when I played the arcade version last year it took me through a 20 minute live tutorial and CPU match. Suspect that'd be a beta thing maybe?

#3 qazimod

qazimod

• Founding Member
  • 2,453 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:19 PM

Yeah, I can definitely see it changing in the full version.

Played a bit more this evening and got thrashed in the few matches I was able to connect to* - if you're still trying to get distance and figure out what you're setting up you can easily get steamrolled by a team that has a plan. Again, the long animations where moves start up and wind down can make each move a bit of a gamble, but on the other hand I should stop throwing random stuff out at every opportunity. :D The best bits are still the massive payoffs from building and keeping your bravery for those big attacks, but when you're spending too long working towards that it can be demoralising when you lose it all and don't get to capitalise on something. :P

*being a beta, your only option is matchmaking, so you're in for an un-coordinated shitshow whether you connect to something or not.

Edited by qazimod, 31 August 2017 - 08:20 PM.

#4 qazimod

qazimod

• Founding Member
  • 2,453 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 03 September 2017 - 07:03 AM

I fared slightly better in my matches last night, helping to secure some victories for the teams I ended up in. One thing that's interesting about the format is that victories are determined by the amount of KOs a team gets, and I think you only need about three to take a match. This makes sense when so much time is spent fighting over bravery, but it means that matches start and end pretty quickly if you can't adapt to what the opponent is doing. Also, the bravery system creates some really tense moments where you want to stop the one guy on the opposing team who has about 4000 BP but you know that if you screw up once you're instantly dead.

Anyway, it ate into time that was going to be spent with the new DLC character for Street Fighter so it must be doing something right. Or I'm just trying to get the most out of it before the beta ends!

#5 plopboy

plopboy

I'm from the, uh, Confidential Committee on Moral Abuses

• Admin
  • 3,491 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:18 AM

I tried this but it was all a bit to manic and I wasn't quite sure where I was and was was going on. I might give it another go but I'm going back to Yakuza after my Destiny 2 debacle.

#6 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:38 AM

If it's like the PSP games there'll be a big single player mode in the full version. I'm looking forward to seeing what they end up doing with it.

#7 qazimod

qazimod

• Founding Member
  • 2,453 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 09 September 2017 - 03:18 PM

Yeah, the beta really drops you in at the deep end; with a conventional "fighter" you can kind of grasp the template - you'll have special moves, motions/charges, maybe a super move - but Dissidia's rules are so bizarre that it kind of needs some single-player content just to give you a flavour of the gameplay without throwing you straight into player matches. Also this was matchmaking-only - I'm sure if I was in player matches with other peeps from GHZ/rllmuk/twitter/whatever and we set up a chat party things would be more co-ordinated!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users