PS3 PS4

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:54 PM

It's finally here, the second re-release of Ryu ga Gotoku 1. I'm only an hour or so in but it's clear that they've reworked it a lot, as opposed to the super straight port on RGG HD Collection for PS3.

Pretty much all the scenes I've seen have had added stuff in. The scene where Kiryu and Nishikiyama go to Selena is extended with a flashback where you buy the ring Yumi is wearing complete with stupid 10 minute fetch quest when Kiryu has it stolen on the way back from the shop. Majima's introduction has also been extended with an extra scene setting up the "Majima Anywhere" system. Majima was extremely happy about this.

Game-wise it's similar to Zero; you've got all four styles unlocked from the start now, though, and they've added the ability to save anywhere which is great. Apparently the styles have been updated though I haven't tried them out much. Breaker apparently gains charge moves, making it even more like playing Saejima which I appreciate.

So far, I like it. The new stuff I've seen is hardly the same quality as what was originally written by Seishu Hase but it gets things moving at least. I'm looking forward to seeing how they fill out Nishikiyama's back story given their failure to do so in Zero. Weird seeing Majima fully barmy again, too.

#2 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 22 January 2016 - 01:46 PM

Sounds excellent, exactly what I wanted from the remake. Mine is on its way from Japan so I expect it to arrive next week.

I like the sound of the breaker style being even closer to Seijima - going by reactions to Yakuza 5 many people still don't seem to be fans of him, despite me thinking he was probably the best bit of Yakuza 5 in both fighting style and story.

I do like that they flesh things out in many scenes. I've read some mild spoilers that other scenes early on are extended/changed which is awesome. I've got the HD collection for a straight port of the PS2 game and I appreciate them doing something far more akin to Resident Evil REmake with this game. Also more Majima is never, ever a bad thing. 

One thing I've been wondering though - side missions. In the original game (and HD remake) they were fairly harsh. You could fail them and lock yourself out of further side missions so you'd not be able to fight Amon. Any idea if they've changed this in Kiwami? As I'm really hoping its more lenient, else I'll need a game guide so that I don't screw up at some point!

Oh, and any idea how the game performs? Is it still 1080p/60FPS? And did they manage to fix the minimal tearing/frame drops in certain spots or is it very much a copy/paste of 0 in that regard?

Also, are you looking forward to the RGG6 demo next week? I'm not expecting a big demo, but I really can't wait to see what a PS4 only Yakuza game looks like.

#3 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:26 PM

28 hours in now, 68% completion. It is definitely the thinnest game in the series for a good long while. Lots of recycled and redone stuff from Zero, no classic arcade games (Boxcelios is advertised in Windows and VF4FT is on all the machines but the only game you can play is a fake Mushi King based on the women wrestling from Zero), and after the first few chapters the new story stuff kind of keeps itself to following Nishikiyama after 1995. That's fine, because they end up making it clear exactly how he turns and what drives him there without messing around with the story too much.

There's definitely a lot more Majima this time around. He becomes a good reliable way to get experience as he levels up, and his fights haven't been too much bother.

I'm not sure about failing sub quests - I don't think any of the new ones really have fail states, and the old ones I knew anyway. I suspect that they've made it friendlier like the newer games.

Getting the Dragon of Dojima style up to a useful state takes a long time. I didn't have acceptable attack speed until I got the second upgrade for that, which requires a top level Pocket Circuit racer. Getting Komaki to train you took a lot of grinding through the colosseum too; it's not too hard when everything else is maxed though. I like Rush and Breaker a lot this time around. Breaker just goes through everything once you have Heat, and Rush lets you cancel everything into an invulnerable sway then into a series of sliding evades which fill your Heat bar super quickly. It's a good way to cheese colosseum points because it'll ask you to dodge enemy attacks sometimes and you can get four or five "OK" bonuses for waiting til the enemy attacks then holding L1 and jamming Cross.

Back to the story, I really appreciate everything being redone in the current style, given how they changed Kiryu's face with 3. Lots of talking, still the same great cast and I think Nishikiyama's voice actor does a terrific job. Even venerable screen elder Tetsuya Watari keeps his end up as Kazama and Sai no Hanaya's voice actor even manages a few line readings which aren't completely flat. Some of the animation is odd (Kiryu's encounter with Yuuya early on looks weird and not just because they have shrunk Yuuya's head while keeping his face the same size!) but it's definitely a cut above the original.

Performance is a bit disappointing. It has more slowdown and tearing (slowdown in alleys where it cuts the framerate in half, and around the theatre it must be dropping into the 40s) but it hasn't affected any proper battles. What's more concerning is the way it'll just stick loading for a second or two sometimes. It might be the cursor freezing on the map while it tries to remember what a shop looks like, or often during conversations someone will just hold a face while their speech spools in. Hopefully the new engine for PS4 irons out all that stuff - with luck we'll see that next week.

Overall? It really makes me hope that the year after 6 we get a similar remake of 2. I'd love to see more Gohda and the two stories are too connected to leave alone, I think.

#4 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:53 AM

Thanks for the info, it sounds great. Regarding the game performance, the theatre area was the place where the game ran worst for me in 0, so I guess this was a quick port in that regard without any further optimisation. But if battles are all ok then I'm good, after playing 5 with its frame rate, I think I can more than put up with the slight hiccups this game has.

Pity about the arcade games though, after how amazing 0 was it seems like a bizarre step back in content. Not sure that I mind that its fairly light on content otherwise though. It might entice me to do a playthrough as soon as I'm done with my English 5 playthrough. As much as I love the series, 5 will take 150 hours to finish so I could do with a short and sweet game rather than another giant epic.

Glad to hear the combat is really good though, as that's the main draw of this game for me. I really do hope they do a remake of 2 next as well. Can't imagine them not doing so if the game sells well enough - take the 0 assets for Osaka and your most of the way there. They'd only have a few smaller locations to remake in the newer engine. Plus as you say Ryuuji is about the best character in the series as far as bad guys go so 2 really does deserve to get remade for that reason alone (well that, and the tiger punching).

It does make me wonder how 6 will work out though. I already expect them to ditch 60FPS, with the way 6 currently looks I just can't see them managing it. 30 will be ok, I've gotten used to it again in 5 just fine over time.

In terms of content though I expect 6 to push the boat out in terms of new side stuff - I really want the arcade to evolve again - each Yakuza game seems to improve things (with 5 and 0 being the best so far). I want either a nice new addictive game added, or maybe for maximum cool points a port of something like Daytona 2 or Planet Harriers.

My copy is still in transit, hoping it'll be with me by Thursday just so I can try the demo for 6 right away. 

#5 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:14 AM

It definitely seems like this was produced by quite a limited team so I assume many more are working on 6. Apparently there will be no loading pauses and there'll be a lot more attack animations. Given that they appear to be adding proper modern lighting I'm sure it'll be 30 again but if that teaser was a realtime cutscene model it'll be worth it then.

Not sure about what they'll do in the arcades as Sega's current lineup is a lot more licence heavy. I guess it'll probably be more original stuff again, though pretty much all Sega boards the last 10 years or so have been x86 based. Maybe they'll have Project Diva Arcade instead of Taiko no Tatsujin as they're porting Future Tone to PS4. I'd play that quite a lot.

#6 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:50 PM

I'm guessing you've seen the video of the Yakuza 6 demo by now? No loading between areas and it transitions between cutscenes and gameplay seemlessly. Tons of detail in the environment as well. It looks pretty amazing for the series, and the combat seems to have undergone some fairly interesting changes. Very interested to see what else they reveal in the coming months.

#7 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 16 May 2016 - 02:31 PM

Ok, I've finally started Kiwami now that I've finished Uncharted 4. I'd have started it earlier if I'd not spent 140 hours 100%ing Yakuza 5 earlier in the year.

Anyway, I'm up to chapter 4 (just met Haruka). I'm loving it so far, I love the original Yakuza and this is basically the same thing but it looks, runs and controls better.

Firstly - obviously the games combat controls far better since its ripped wholesale from Yakuza 0. My only issue so far is that I lose heat so damn fast when getting hit. I really need to find a way of leveling up something to fix that. Otherwise the styles bar the Dojima style are all excellent. I've only managed to level that up a little bit and that style is getting better (I've finally managed to get its strength up so that its not completely useless). But as you mentioned above the speed sucks at the moment.

I'm glad that the EXP is so easy to get, as there is so much to level up. I miss the easy times of the 80's where you could just buy moves with money, and where money was so damn easy to come by!

I also love the amount of changed or new stuff added to the game's story. Its nice to play something that is not entirely a frame for frame remake of the original game. Oh, and the new story bits for Nishiki are all excellent so far, probably the best bit of the package for me.

Another little touch I really like is the rain effect shown early in chapter 1. It looked beautiful, I really hope they reuse that affect again later in the game.

#8 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 06:04 AM

I did find that the new story stuff kind of dies away after a little while, but overall the story was treated well by the remake. The Dojima style was kind of broken until right at the end of the game for me; it's too much slower and more vulnerable than even a lightly upgraded punk style without even considering the nasty stuff you can do with breaker and rush. And if you're not sick of fighting Majima with an ever lengthening health bar then you soon will be!

#9 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:35 PM

Yeah, I'm getting that feeling with Majima at the moment. I've just done chapter 5 where he is the boss, and wow he's sort of getting on my nerves. I think its down to the fact that out of all the characters in the game he seems to be the most difficult to fight - he's basically his 0 persona (with all the fighting styles) and wasn't really rebalanced when turned into a boss. He's got invincible frames galore and loads of attacks that have insane reach, many of which are hard to block due to the number of hits and/or being weapon attacks so they are unblockable.

I mean, he's impossible to hate (he cracks me up too much in this game) but seriously they could have cut his content in half and it'd probably be more special as he wouldn't be appearing every 6th second to challenge you at something!

Otherwise my only complaint in this game is the heat gauge. A light breeze drains it from full to nothing, really frustrating if you want to pull off certain moves. It took me ages to get the move where you have to grab a dudes legs and swing him into a pole as you need to be using a certain style, have  a dude stay down long enough to grab his legs, have red heat, and then be close enough to a pillar to pull off the move. Hope he doesn't get out of the grab or has a friend smack you round the head so the move is canceled/heat is lost.

Usually I'd be way harsher on the game, as its coming off the back of 5 and 0 which I felt worked better in the above regard (though not perfectly), however then I think of the original PS2 release (or even the HD re-release for PS3) and am reminded at just how much worse the original version of the game was. Its still not one of my favourite Yakuza titles at this point in the game, but its still a damn sight better than the original release and I'm still loving the heck out of the game. I just had very high standards for the game, and really the heat stuff and Majima harm an otherwise ace game.

Well, that and the crappy arcade. The only saving grace there is that the new arcade game is still about 1,000,000,000 less frustrating than the cat fights despite basically being the same game.

#10 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 06:27 AM

Yeah, the arcade game is actually doable with a guide/some trial and error.

As for Majima, the way I ended up brute forcing it was to just use the invulnerability from the breaker style to just hit him hard with combos (which would kind of maintain heat) and then switch to rush when under the first bar of heat, using the cancelling to just dive out of the way when he's not taking hits. Tough on the thumbs but reliable, especially if you're low on healing items.

Still can't wait for 6, though!

#11 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:18 AM

Actually I'm wondering if the arcade game gets harder? I've only done a few rounds of it (via the side stories for the arcade game) and its fairly straight forward so far as the AI always seems to pick whatever of their three attacks is strongest, so I simply counter pick for much damage!

I made more progress yesterday, mainly doing side stories. I've picked up a piece of armour that reduces heat loss when attacked. It seems to be of great help so far. I've also upgraded tons of stuff since I ended up with 350odd XP! I've unlocked a few more heat moves which are ace - especially for the rush style which is quickly becoming my favourite style in this game!

I see they've tweaked darts again though, I can barely throw straight now! I really need to get some extra money to buy some awesome darts. I'll leave that mini game until later in the game. 

Judging by my progress in Kiwami (21 hours in, 47% complete) I think its going to be one of the shorter games assuming I don't run into any issues with levelling up Majima (with the later play spots) or Haruka's Trust.

I can't wait to get 6 either. The fact they've changed so much means it should be a rather fresh experience gameplay wise. I'm hoping we'll start to hear more about the game in the coming months (I assume at the latest we'll get another reveal at TGS?) I just want to see more of the story, combat and what playspots are in. 

#12 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:55 AM

I'm sure there'll be more info on 6 then, if not confirmation of the release date.

As for Kiwami, yeah, it is relatively short. But then the original was a ten hour run even with side quests so there's only so much you can add to it without it looking crazy. I can't remember what my clear time was but it was definitely enough by the time I got there. I think the endless Majima interruptions got to me after a while.

#13 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:26 PM

Yeah, I remember replaying the original Yakuza twice the year the HD collection was released. It was a really short and fun trip (bar the lock on issues when fighting Komaki, that was a nightmare). Its crazy how fleshed out the series became over the years, but I love almost all the filler so I'd have it no other way! Especially for stuff like Mah Jong - which I've grown more and more attached to the more I play the series.

I still think 6 is due out in December at the earliest, I just can't see it being released any sooner. Then again, even as a tech demo I was really impressed with how much they'd improved certain things in the game - mainly graphically but I really can't wait to explore the city with no load times.

#14 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 26 May 2016 - 08:57 AM

40 hours in and 80% done now. Found that the weapon tournaments with brass knuckles were amazing to grind enough PP to get all the Komaki moves, and from there I could unlock the Tiger Drop counter to breeze through the last tournaments. Plus the Tiger Drop is amazing when fighting against Majima, destroys his health really quick!

It'll probably take another 20 or so hours to 100% the game. I've still got a few mini games left which may take a while plus I still need to start the Haruka Begging stuff... 

I've finished the arcade game now, which I'm glad was far less frustrating compared to its incarnation in 0, I loved the Pocket Racer stuff as well. I had to use a guide though as I could never figure out which parts to use for which GP's. But doing the GP's then helped me complete the side missions and Majima missions later in the game which was a big help.

#15 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 04 June 2016 - 10:24 AM

50odd hours and I'm done! (with the story anyway). I hate the ending, always makes me feel sad, Kiryu is so darn naive, lets leave that evil man alone (with his weapon!), I'm sure nothing can go wrong! (and no, I'm still not over Rikya from Yakuza 3 either :( )

But seriously, I loved this remake. As with all of the games in the series I love the late game levels since I had all my styles powered up so I could use a large variety of moves to dispatch my foes - the Dojima style was pretty useless to me until about chapter 11? Once you hit that chapter you can finally start unlocking the higher Komaki moves, and after I figured out how to get easy Arena points I got that Tiger Drop real quick! Plus I spent a day or so doing Majima stuff to get his moves unlocked, then spent the last few levels using this style to beat the last few bosses (it made the final boss battle that much more epic!).

However I still felt there were a few sore spots in the combat:

Jingu's entire boss battle. Fighting against guys with guns was just a pain. Getting interrupted mid combo by getting shot sucked, and the actual Jingu battle was just frustrating, grenades + guns is not a great combo at all. Oh, I'd forgotten those enemies resurrect themselves!

Getting stuck in enemy combo's sucks as well - most noticeable in the challenge mode fighting large groups - The B King boss had a combo that just didn't seem to finish... how annoying! One on One battles all rocked though (Lau was still a toughie to fight, I still had plenty of issues fighting him even in challenge mode with a fully upgraded Dragon of Dojima fighting style).

Speaking of the challenge mode - Its certainly challenging, but I'm glad they overhauled this to fall in line with the later game challenge modes (remember the original  RGG challenge mode? The one where you had to clear the entire Chinatown restaurant level without taking any damage? With that wonky lock on system? Good luck!). I've cleared all but 2 of the boss challenges now, there were some pretty tough ones, hilariously enough closer to the beginning of the challenges:

The very first challenge in the first set of challenges tasks you to clear the boat fight without falling down... Took me 10+ tries to beat that challenge. I kind of loved the last challenge in the second set of challenges - clearing the Tojo Clan's stronghold as an unlevelled Kiryu while battling squads of goons and two call backs to RGG0

Spoiler

Almost done with the Haruka Trust missions and 100% completion sub goals as well. Now the wait for 6 begins (or continues...)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PS3, PS4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users