#1 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

Just as you suspected, everything I have told you is gibberish

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:07 PM

Hi guys.

This is a heads-up. A few months back, when the board went down, I had a chat with Singho and agreed to take over the cost of hosting. Singho paid for, I think, a further six months of life and then it'd be up to me.

I made two or three attempts to contact the hosting company around that time to find out what the process for paying was and received no response to any of my emails. Since then, I've come to the conclusion that I just don't use the board enough any longer - and, to be honest, haven't for nearly four years - to be able to justify paying for it.

As it stands, then, once Singho's final payment has worn off, the place will vanish again.

If anybody else wants to take over the payments, let me know and I'll bung you the email address of the hosting guy and you can see if you can get anywhere with it. Otherwise, I'd suggest that those of you who want to take an archive of the stuff here that you want to keep before it goes for good.

I'm sorry to do this. I don't believe that there's anything fundamentally wrong with keeping the board going for the three or four people who still use it, but as I say, I can't justify the payment for something that I don't really use any longer.

#2 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:12 PM

I think that's probably fair enough; it's definitely been slowing more and more and I think that people's interests have diverged enough that those who remain don't really have too much to talk about at once. I know I've got an issue in that I play a lot of Japanese stuff in the original language so I can't bring too much to conversations on other stuff and I'm sure it's hard for non-speakers to contribute.

How long have we got? I'd like to collect at least my own thoughts about stuff from this year, and it'd be nice to make sure we all know where we all are.

I'll still be mostly posting on Eurogamer and a bit on SA; if anyone has any Discord channels or similar they're on I'm happy to install things. I still remember the IRC days fondly!

Edited by uiruki, 06 November 2017 - 11:17 PM.

#3 MrToad

MrToad

Barcode Battler

• 1,596 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:40 PM

*sniff*

Yeah, that's a fair call. Whilst I may not have posted that much, I've still enjoyed lurking and reading the collected ramblings. It's always interesting to get a taste of the variety of stuff out there, even the obscure Japanese RPGs ;)

Thank you all for the thoughts, company and discussion. It's been a fun ride :)

I'm still poking about on the PIE forums and use Discord occasionally. We could make a private FB group or similar if we want an alternative means of discussion.

#4 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:26 PM

Ill have a poke around on Discord and see whats cracking. Ive made an account - uiruki#8549 if anyone wants to add me. The web page doesnt seem to work well on an iPhone though so Ill have a look at the server thing when I get home. Does it require hosting or anything? Ive got a NAS box with a mostly idle CPU so that wouldnt be any bother.

#5 qazimod

qazimod

• Founding Member
  • 2,458 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:39 PM

I'm fine with it going, but of course it will be missed.

Would a free forum service be an option? Rllmuk has a small unofficial "if the main forum goes down" site that uses "zIFboards" (formerly InvisionFree) and that rarely faces issues with traffic or space because only a handful of people use it.

I also browse a couple of Discord channels but I don't know how to go about setting up your own...

Oh, and before the site disappears, I'm on PSN as theqazimod, Twitter as @qazimod and XBL (although my account's kind of dormant) as qazimod if people want to reach me :)

Edited by qazimod, 07 November 2017 - 02:43 PM.

#6 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:56 PM

If we could even upload an archive or something across to a free board that might be useful.

Ive tried setting up a GHZUK server on discord - try this link: https://discord.gg/FaZgyX

My mobile provider is super shaky at work but worth a shot I think.

#7 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:02 AM

Heres another link - https://discord.gg/quAwqP

I cant see a way to make these last more than a day. Can anyone with better Discord skills than me advise?

#8 qazimod

qazimod

• Founding Member
  • 2,458 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:10 PM

Are you using the desktop browser version? If you click Invite people there are options for how long you want the link to last, or you can set it to never expire.

#9 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:33 PM

Ah - Im doing it on the phone and the limit on that is one day.

#10 plopboy

plopboy

I'm from the, uh, Confidential Committee on Moral Abuses

• Admin
  • 3,496 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 17 November 2017 - 02:54 PM

I'm

Plopboy#5351
on the old Discord but I can't seem to find the GHZUK server

#11 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 03:05 PM

Try https://discord.gg/6yr4drt

#12 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

Just as you suspected, everything I have told you is gibberish

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:11 PM

Wrt time limits, I'm afraid I don't know. Reading between the lines, I think Singho's final payment covered six months, in which case it'll be six months from the point at which the board reappeared earlier in the year.

uiruki> I think it's fair to say that your impressions threads have always been very much appreciated. Your gaming likes tie in with those of a lot of the people who have been here over the years and have formed a kind of heads-up for stuff that's either on its way to the UK at some point in the future or that we should investigate importing. I'll miss that advance warning.

Does anybody here have contact with shadowman off the board? I think he's the only relatively regular GHZ member who hasn't posted to this thread and I wouldn't like for the board to disappear without everybody being made aware of it in advance.

#13 TheShend

TheShend

You know it is, it really is!

• Founding Member
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 04:13 PM

Post in the megaman thread. He will come.

#14 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:38 PM

Thanks Randy - Ill still be posting bits and pieces in the Discord. Once I finish flipping out about Cold Steel 3 of course - Im up to the last dungeon and it might well be my favourite JRPG ever. I can also stream more if people are interested; if nothing else therell be the archives. Always happy to answer questions too, Demon Gaze 2 came up over the weekend.

I think I have Shadowman on my PSN list - Ill try and send a message. A new Yakuza game is out soon, after all.

#15 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:01 PM

Ok, just to confirm I have seen this. Blame Mario and my Vita for stealing my time away from anything else. I'll bounce on over to Discord while I impatiently wait to get my hands on the new Yakuza demo tonight!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users