208 replies to this topic

#1 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

Just as you suspected, everything I have told you is gibberish

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:23 PM

I've not mentioned anything about this until now, because it's all a bit poor still, but every now nd then I've toyed with the idea of embarking on a Mega Man collectathon. I love the character designs and the fact that the games are so punishingly difficult (but rewarding, once you've memorised a level's layout and a boss's patterns). Been thinking about it again over the last week or so, because I decided to finally make a proper attempt at finishing Mega Man Xtreme on the GameBoy Color, as well as having a real go at Powered Up! on the PSP (which i previously gave up on when, shockingly I couldn't get over the first set of jumps on Guts Man's stage).

I've only ever completed one of these, you know - the awesome PSP remake of X, [i[Maverick Hunter X[/i]. So it's probably totally stupid of me to be buying others, but I'm hooked.

Oh, no. wait. I also finished ZX on the DS, didn't I? That's a flipping ace game.

Funny thing about Mega Man is, no matter how many changes Capcom make to the design of its main characters or gameplay, I still seem to enjoy the games. Again, it's not one that I've managed to get to the end of, but I had a hell of a good time with the hours I put into Battle Network on the GBA.

The only MM game that I've played and not enjoyed is Mega Man & Bass, which takes the difficulty curve to a ridiculous, suicidal extreme. And yet, the masochist in me wants to return to it and try again.

Anyway, here's the collection as it's been for the last year or so. The only new addition to it is the GameBoy's Dr Wily's Revenge. I have, however, gone a bit daft over the last week and bought up a whole bunch of the games that I'm missing - I'm now just waiting for them to arrive.

I don't own an NES or a Famicom. I've long considered a Famicom - or, to be more accurate, a Famicom Twin (ever since I saw the photo of Crisp's on this very forum) - but even if I do eventually get one, it's unlikely that I'll be trying to find the original Mega Man/Rockman carts. they're just too expensive.

With that in mind, I bought the PS2 compilation. Much the same thought process was also behind getting the X collection, then rounding it off with the two PS2 exclusive X games.

I'd still quite like to get the PS1 conversions, though.

These were very difficult to find when I was looking for them. Less so now, but still not exactly common, especially where the Anniversary Collection is concerned. The same, incidentally, is true for almost every game in this post, with the exception of the PSP remakes and the NGPC game. Some are more easily found now than they were at the time, but not boxed and not particularly cheap.

I don't understand that. Mega Man's a huge franchise, you'd think it'd be easier to source the games. But even the newer ones can be hell to find - you wouldn't believe how long it took to get hold of ZX (even though it's quite easy to track down again now).

There's an odd thing in the Anniversary Collection - when you start one of the games on a save file, you've then got to finish it before you can move on to another. It's like a whole other level of punishment, included especially for this disc!

Remakes of the first Mega Man and the first Mega Man X. Both are brilliant - Powered Up! has a ton of extra content and two different main modes, Maverick Hunter X looks great and plays fantastically.

The GameBoy game is like a remix of MM1 and MM2, as I understand it. It cranks the difficulty up right from the very first screen. Mega Man Xtreme is a remix of X - it's the one I'm currently playing. This can reach silly prices on eBay nowadays and I was lucky to pick it up when it wasn't quite as in demand. Plays on both the GBC and original GB.

The NGPC game there is Rockman Battle & Fighters, a combination of the arcade beat 'em up releases The Power Battle and The Power Fighters. it's actually the first MM game I ever owned and I bought it back when the NGPC was still being actively supported by SNK and some third party publishers. Good fun - basially a Mega Man version of a boss rush mode. Obviously, the NGPC can't replicate the arcade visuals or sound, but it has a damned good try.

The first Battle Network game. Wonderful RPG/card battler hybrid. The first of the DS games in that pic is a compilation of the two Network Battle 5 releases on the GBA. A family member who knew I was on the lookout for MM games saw this going for a tenner or so in GAME and bought it for me. I won't be playing it until I've gone through the other BN games, but it's good to have it here ready for whenever that happens (if that ever happens). Quite why Capcom didn't release DS compilations for the other GBA BN games is beyond me - I understand that this may not have sold particularly well, but why start with the fifth game in the series? Why not start with the first to have two different versions, which was the second game in the series? Maybe it's just that 5 came out so late in the GBA's life, they realised that it'd lose sales to the DS. I dunno.

Then the first entry in the Star Force series, which - again - I've not yet played. Annoyingly, this comes in different flavours, too - three of them, this time. Pokemon's got so much to answer for...

The GBA port of Mega Man & Bass. As I said above, a game with a sheer cliff face of a difficulty curve. I just found out that there's a Wonderswan version of this, too. Even though I find it insultingly difficult, I'm still tempted.

The Zero series. It was so hard to find these boxed when I was looking two or three years ago. Which is why the boxes are kind of scrappy. None of them are ripped, but 2's clearly been sat on by somebody during its life and 4 has a line imprinted across its face, suggesting that it had been sitting under a pile of other things for a while.

Not finished any of these, but I fucking love what I've played of them. I've come close with the first, but the controls are a pain in the hands. I can't wait for the imminent DS compilation - in fact, it's already on pre-order.

The ZX games. Finished the first of these, played a bit of the second. They look amazing, they feel amazing to play. They're kind of like Zero crossed with Metroidvania, albeit with massively confusing world maps and navigation. It looks like Capcom have abandoned this series, because there's been no signs of anything new in the pipes for ages. I seriously hope that's not the case.

Anyway, as I say, I'm currently playing through Xtreme on the GBC. Once that's finished, it's my intention to play through every game, in order, starting with MM1 on the PS2 Anniversary Collection. If that happens, I'll be starting a new thread to report back on my progress (or, more likely, my lack thereof).

#2 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:10 AM

The other thing I meant to say about this franchise is that it makes perfect collectathon material, because there's so many games and so much merchandise out there. Parodius, I'll have exhausted fairly quickly if I keep on buying one thing every few months. Mega Man, it's never going to happen. And there's so much variety in the cost of things, too - you can get a lot of the games for reasonable prices, but if you're a full-on collector with the bank balance to allow it (which I'm not, not by a long stretch), there are properly rare items that go for insane amounts of cash. The Mega Drive comp of the first three NES games, for example.

I started reading through this thread again last night and realised that I had already mentioned my intention of embarking on a MM collection back on page 2 or 3, then had a discussion with bowser about it. Oops.

#3 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:47 PM

Attached File  wrks.jpg   107.06KB   1 downloads

The two Complete Works art/history books. They're not as extensive as you'd presume, which is a shame - they don't have much in the way of design sketches or promo piees, but are instead mainly constructed of official art from manuals, boxes and the like, with small quotes from key team members dotted around. They're still very pretty books and very nice to look at, though.

As I've said in the expenditure thread, the first one is damaged (although you can't tell in that photo) and is going back to Amazon tomorrow. They've already sent out a replacement, which is good.

Attached File  var.jpg   88KB   1 downloads

Some random bits. The first volume of the manga. No idea if it's any good or not. Best I'm expecting is that it might be campy fun, but I thought I might as well give it a chance.

The GameCube Network Transmission game, which I've heard is a cross between old school MMX and the Battle Network games.

GameBoy MMII. The box is in minty condition, but the rest isn't. The cart has some yellowing, but it works fine. The manual has had loads of handling, so it's a bit of a state. Not a big deal at all, though, because finding this boxed, for this price, was a bit of a lucky break.

The game itself? It's hilariously bad, judging from the one quick go I've had of it so far. The music and sound effects are the shrillest things I've ever heard, literally hurting my ears, made worse by the music being completely out of tune. And there's no bass notes *at all*. The first game was far superior in this regard. Level design in the one I've played is awful, too, with moments of apparently unavoidable damage on virtually every screen. No wonder Inafune slags this one off in the Complete Works book.

Mega Man Xtreme 2. I'm *really* chuffed with this one. Cost me less than a tenner from an Amazon Marketplace seller and is more or less mint. There are two boxed copies up on eBay right at this moment, one at $75 and the other at $99. I think I saw one the other day around the $65 mark, which is no longer listed and so presumably has sold. Vaguely tempted to put this up for sale right now, but I'll hold out. I love the first Xtreme and this is supposedly the better of the two.

#4 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:20 PM

Xtreme 2 also has the benefit of containing one of the greatest Engrish typos ever, which comes during the info, when you're told that X and Zero have been sent to investigate strange goings-on at the "Reploid research lavatory" biggrin.gif

#5 plopboy

plopboy

I'm from the, uh, Confidential Committee on Moral Abuses

• Admin
  • 3,496 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:37 AM

Nice collection there Randy. For some reason I haven't got into Megaman, i.e. not played any of them ohmy.gif , so can you recommend me a good starting point, preferably cheap.

#6 bowser123

bowser123

Habadoodee! With a Reep-a-nazza.

• Moderators
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:34 AM

Wow Randy, that's some collection. Been real interesting looking at the photos and reading about them. I think you're completely bonkers for buying all those incredibly frustrating, impossible to complete games but still it's been nice to read about them.

Plop- I'd say it depends on what you want genre wise as they've gone in different directions since the GBA period. The best Mega Man, by far the gentlest introduction, would be the Mega Man ZX games on DS. They're pretty brilliant and much more forgiving than the normal games, though be aware they're a Metroidvania game, rather than the standard left to right shooters that MM is known for.

If you want a standard MM game, the Anniversary Collections on the PS2/Cube/possibly Xbox are good. They go for about 10-15 each and feature about 10 games on each disc. I prefer the "X" Collection as that was the SNES era games, they featured better graphics and I found them to be fairer. The other collection is the first load of games that were NES/ early arcade I think, and are remorselessly hard. They're basic and I found unfair, but worth a go. Like I say I found them too much, but maybe you're better or have more patience.

The DS has just seen (or will very soon) see a collection of the Zero games that I intend to look at. I think I've played some of these on the GBA before, and they're a mix of full on Metroidvania and the traditional 2D left to right. That's if I remember them right.

The other games, pass really. The GBA Battle Network games, and the majority of the DS ones, are RPGish games that I know little about.

#7 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:48 PM

Yeah, the Z games are basically the building blocks for the ZX twosome - similar, but slightly more basic. I'd wait for the DS compilation, because the problem I've found with Z is that the games were designed for the GBA, but the GBA didn't have enough buttons for them. The four facia buttons on the DS are what the series was crying out for and should make them a hell of a lot more comfortable to play.

It really depends on what kind of game you're after, plop. The original series is about memorisation, trial and error, and virtually pixel-perfect control. I think of them as being like a Japanese take on the same kind of thing that Rick Dangerous did, only less unfair and frustrating, with brilliant bosses at the end of each level. The bosses are kind of like a basic, but incredibly difficult one-on-one fighter. On defeating a boss, you get access to their weapon, which introduces to the platofrm genre the idea of incremental increases to the player's arsenal of equipment. In that sense, Mega Man is the proto-Metroid. This then ties into elemental weaknesses that the bosses have, meaning that after defeating one, you have a far better chance of defeating another.

The Anniversary Collection is the most cost-effective place to get them. You might also want to try 9 and 10 on XBLA/PSN/WiiWare. I've not played either very much, though. So, yeah, Anniversary Collection. Um, I don't know if the PAL PS2 release supports 60Hz, btw. bowser? If not, the same compilation came out on the original Xbox.

Or you could try Powered Up on the PSP, which is a remake of the very first game, with gorgeous visuals. It doesn't feel 100% authentic, because of the spangly new visuals, but also because the style of the graphics has beeen altered. Mega Man doesn't look like Mega Man. He looks like Chibi Mega Man, and his animation has been changed to suit. It's totally worth buying, because it's got an enormous amount of extras packed onto the UMD (shitloads of challenge levels), but it's not quite the same thing as playing the original game.

The X series is basically the same concept, but updated from 8bit style to 16bit. So: easier, faster, flashier, less memorisation required, more impressive and memorable bosses. This time, the PSP remake is completely faithful to the source material and is, imo, the one to go for as an introduction to this particular series. It's superb.

Still only played the first Battle Network and haven't managed to complete that, but yeah, it's an RPG. It's a really good one, though, with a charming visual style and great gameplay. The battle system is a unique blend of regular JRPG turn-based stuff, card collection and positional strategy. It's a charming game all round and I highly recommend it.

The Z and ZX games are, as bowser says, a cross between X and (a more basic form of) Metroidvania gameplay. They're awesome, with the ZX games in particular having a real Treasure vibe to them. Wait for the DS compilation of the Z releases, but definitely get hold of the first ZX to see if you like it. It's easier to find than the sequel, but should still be affordable despite relative rarity. I got mine for a tenner in a GAME bargain bin, for example. Impressions thread here.

Just to address the question of difficulty:

I don't think the games actually *are* all that difficult. It's just that we're used to playing games in a different manner nowadays.

Think back to something like Manic Miner. That was a game that demanded lots and lots of repetition, simply to get off the first level. You tried once, you died. You tried again, now armed with the knowledge of yur failure last time, and you manage to get a little further before dying again.

This is how it works, with the trial and error repetition. Sooner or later, you're able to string everything together to enable you to fly through a level, avoiding and dealing with everything thrown at you, feeling powerful whilst doing so. And that's where some of the enjoyment comes from. it's like playing a shmup - you keep coming back because successfully dealing with whatever did you in last time feels like delicious revenge, while at the same time providing you with a genuine sense of achievement. It works so well because the levels are short and sweet, and because the control is so snappy.

#8 bowser123

bowser123

Habadoodee! With a Reep-a-nazza.

• Moderators
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 09:48 AM

Dunno if the PS2 version supports 60hz, sorry Randy. I owned the US Gamecube versions of the Anniversary and X Collections. One of the interesting things you said about saving in these games was that if you say save after killing the first boss in MM2, you can't play MM4. I can't check the Cube Anniversary as I sold it, but I'm fairly sure this wasn't the case in the Cube version and you could start as many games as you wanted. It's definitely the case in the X version, I still own that and checked. What I will say though is if you do get the Cube versions Plop, you'll need the Hori pad rather than the standard cube controller.

With regards to the difficulty of the games, it's an interesting point that Randy brings up on older games needing practice and repetition to eek forward slightly, until you get to a stage where you can piece it all together. It's interesting that he compares MM to bullet hell... that's another genre I can't play, with the exception of Ikaruga, a game that I really liked and got reasonably competent at. But that is probably an exercise of style over substance and a very unique system that took my attention.

I never served that apprenticeship of old games. Started off on an Amstrad CPC late in it's life, playing Dizzy, HoH and football management games. It was then onto a SNES, N64 etc where I finished Super Ghouls and Ghosts. That's probably the hardest I've ever done, but even then it wasn't a proper completion as I saw the credits once and didn't replay the second time for the full ending. Retried it since on the GBA, can't even get halfway into it nowadays. Don't remotely have the patience or inclination to actually finish G+G. I did finish all of SNES Lost Levels on the ALL Stars cart and that's supposed to be hard, though I never really had the kind of trouble with that that I did Capcoms games.
----------

I've come across Battlechip Challenge and intend to give that a go. Battle Network too, if it's as good as Randy says. Can't see myself working through the series, but giving the first game a proper try seems to fit with my whole try a RPG thing.

#9 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:06 AM

An excellent collection so far E. Randy Dupre. You did very well in getting the 4 Zero games boxed as they are pretty hard to come by these days for a decent price.

I've been collecting the Megaman series on and off since Megaman 2 was released for the NES but really stepped up the collecting when I managed to get a job a couple of years back and now have about 260 different Megaman games, box variants and region variants. Like you say its such a joy collecting the series as the sheer number of games in the collection is well over the hundred mark not counting variants. Plus (in my biased opinion) nearly all of the games are great fun to play!

A couple of games I'd recommend you looking into if you can find them are:

Megaman V/Rockman World 5 for the Gameboy. The main attraction for this game is that it has an exclusive lot of bosses that have never appeared in any of the console games. Unfortunately it was also released pretty late in the GB's life cycle and it goes for crazy prices if you want a complete copy (100+). The Japanese version is far more affordable though.

Megaman Network Transmission (Gamecube) Its the Battle Network game that plays just like the classic series. It has a pretty steap difficulty curve to begin with but gets much easier later on in the game so its worth sticking with. Also worth checking out is the Rockman EXE game for the Wonderswan Colour which has a similar play style to NT. Its levels split in 2 when you reach the mid point so you fight a different boss depending on which path you took.

There's also a Wonderswan exclusive Rockman & Forte that is completely different to the GBA/SFC one (bar the music) but that is quite rightly labelled as one of the worst MM games ever made. It does have a load of exclusive bosses like Time Men and Compass Man though...

I've put together a near comprehensive list of all the known MM games/varaints that have been released if your interested. Its been quite handy for me since I've found that no 1 place has a full list of MM games (thanks mainly to the weird variants and exclusives released around Asia). Here's pictures of my collection so far if your interested: http://www.capcom-un...com/shadowman16

#10 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 29 May 2010 - 07:41 PM

Hey man. Thanks for posting. Weirdly enough, I found the updated thread about your collection on the gamesTM forum last night, through a Google search - I know you posted here before and I even replied, but I managed to forget all about it laugh.gif Sorry sad.gif That's one mental collection of stuff - personally, I'm only after getting the games that I want to play, rather than different regional variations, etc, but I can totally understand the appeal of trying to gather as complete a collection as possible. I wouldn't even have the room for that sort of collection, though, let alone the funds!

Got my eyes on a copy of Rockman World V at the moment. I'd like to have the localised version, given that I've got the US releases of I and II, but the price would be prohibitive.

A few more bits and pieces arrived over the last couple of days:

Attached File  mmbits.jpg   92.67KB   1 downloads

Having polished off MM Xtreme on the GBC at the tail end of last week, I decided this afternoon to make a start on playing through all the games in order, as threatened in a post above. First port of call: Mega Man on the PS2 Anniversary Collection.

Surprisingly easy so far! Far easier than I remember from my last attempt. I don't know if Cutman is the guy to take down first or not, but he's always my starting point. After that, the pattern of boss weaknesses is pretty easy to suss out (even if Fireman being weak to the Ice Beam makes absolutely no sense whatsoever). His stage isn't too difficult, either - none of the 'disappearing blocks' jumps, none of those little spiked homing things that travel along the floor and can't be destroyed, no difficult jumps over bottomless pits. And the boss, as long as you reach him with full health (or as near as possible), can be taken down simply by constantly firing the regular shot at him and not worrying about thee fact that you're taking hits yourself. You'll inevitably kill him quicker than he can kill you.

Regardless of what it says at the beginning of that video.

I can't get past the Big Eye robot without getting hit, mind. I can't get past *any* of them without getting hit sad.gif

Elecman's stage, otoh, starts with a really nasty jump, right at the beginning. Trying to time it so that you freeze both the spiky things, while also getting the virtually pixel-perfect jump to the second platofrm correct, is hellishly difficult.

I've had no end of problems with those ladders before now, mainly because of the electric charges that you need to time it to get past. I don't know why, though, because I flew past them today.

The thing that always surprises me about the original game is how much damage the bosses take from the correct weapon. It's mad - you can totally ignore their attack patterns and just blow them to pieces in three shots.

Iceman. Disappearing blocks time:

I know this shit is infamous, but I love it. Honestly. It's so clever, from a design perspective, even if placing the disappearing blocks above enemies that you can't kill is a bit chinny. I know it's arguably cheap, stuff like that, but it's made up for by the fact that you really have to think about these screens - they're little puzzle moments in amongst the platforming.

So, yeah. Ice beats fire:

wacko.gif

Again, the comments for that level make it sound far more difficult than it acutally is. I dunno, maybe the fact that I've been playing Dr Wily's Revenge on the original flavour GameBoy - which is, imo, a more difficult game, despite the stages being shorter - has meant I've retuned my platform skillz nearer to the standard they were at when I was a kid than they have been over the last few years. Whatever, I didn't have a problem here. The jumps are pretty easy, timing the leaps over the fountains of flame feels natural, even dodging the three flame faces that drop float down the screen isn't difficult.

Next up: Bombman.

Sniper Joe's a pain in the arse. So are the missiles, because they explode when you destroy them, damaging you in the process if you're standing too close when they go up in flames.

Love the background in this stage - all futuristic cityscape, probably the most evocative bg in the entire game. Certainly more imaginative than slippy-slidey ice world, seas of flame fire world, etc.

I've just got Gutsman's stage left. The only way I can describe this one is singhofacex1,000,000.

I struggle to get over the opening jumps in Powered Up and they seem to be even more difficult here. There's just something about the way that the platforms move that makes timing the jumps a lot trickier than it really should be. Decided to have a little break from it for a while, eat something, watch Doctor Who, muck about on something else (also starrted Final Fantasy IX today, seeing as I've got the PS2 plugged into the telly), then go back later on.

#11 qazimod

qazimod

• Founding Member
  • 2,458 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 29 May 2010 - 09:44 PM

Back in the day a friend at primary school had a NES and through that we were introduced to the series via Mega Man 1 - played today it's pretty damned hard, though when we were young we all had a lot more patience. After that I kind of ignored the series for years; I played a few of them on and off via emulation, but didn't really give any of them a proper playthrough. Then a few years ago, after watching a few fan videos for Mega Man 2, I decided to give it a crack, and I found it really enjoyable. I did have a load of videos of the "robot master" stages of Mega Man 1 and 2 (ie no Wily stages), but I've recently had a clearout of my YouTube channel which took these videos with it. sad.gif

There's a lot of rote-learning and trial and error in the games, whether it's from trying to memorise the disappearing block patterns on Iceman's stage in Mega Man 1, or trying to time the jumps onto the pink faces in Airman's stage in Mega Man 2, but finally reaching a boss door fills you with equal amounts of dread and relief. The stages are as much of a gauntlet as the Robot Masters, and there's nothing worse than losing your last life to a boss and having to start the level over. Still, if you know what you're doing and know the order in which to do things, it's a bit more manageable. One of my most memorable gaming experiences of recent years has been successfully negotiating Quick Man's stage, with it's instant-death lasers and pitch black sections - it's such an exhilerating challenge...

Another thing the games did really well was promote the idea of revisiting other levels with newly-gained powers. Now I'm about to make the worst comparison ever here, but I've never got on with a Metroidvania game - they're all about backtracking and gaining new powers and revisiting previous areas with those powers, but I always got lost and frustrated. However, in separating each Mega Man game into around eight worlds, you can retreat from an impossible level and come back later with tools gained from a more manageable one, all whilst knowing which areas are "achievable" with your current powers. It's backtracking in the loosest possible sense, but to a novice player who tries to take on Quick Man first in Mega Man 2, it's still an important consideration.

Anyway, I really like the Mega Man games I've played, and despite its notorious difficulty I've often been tempted to give Mega Man 9 a try, so maybe I can post some impressions about it sometime in the future. smile.gif Oh, and your MM1 order is different to mine; I think I went Guts>Cut>Elec>Bomb>Ice>Fire... the Gutsman jumps are incredibly difficult, but you can still do the level first - after all, Mega's as crap at jumping at the start as he is at the end. tongue.gif If you're still struggling, try the Magnet Beam.

(EDIT: whilst typing that, I just remembered that I wrote the order down and kept it in my Powered Up case - how sad am I laugh.gif I also wrote a tip there about Elecman's weapon being able to kill the annoying floor spikes in Iceman's stage biggrin.gif )

Edited by qazimod, 29 May 2010 - 10:11 PM.

#12 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 29 May 2010 - 10:30 PM

Did the jumps, beat Gutsman. I had the Magnet Beam, but I couldn't figure out how to use it properly - you press it once, you get one platform. Didn't realise that if you held down the button you got a string of platforms. Never mind - happier with myself for having beaten the level properly, tbh.

Now stuck on the boss in Wily Stage 1. Now *that's* some annoying shit.

Hey, shadowman, you'll know the answer to this: is there anything different about the PS1 conversions of the original series games? Like new music or unlockable extras? I keep on looking at the copies that are up on eBay and wanting to buy them purely because of the lovely box art, but I don't know if it's worth getting them for any other reason.

#13 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:49 AM

QUOTE(E. Randy Dupre @ May 29 2010, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did the jumps, beat Gutsman. I had the Magnet Beam, but I couldn't figure out how to use it properly - you press it once, you get one platform. Didn't realise that if you held down the button you got a string of platforms. Never mind - happier with myself for having beaten the level properly, tbh.

Now stuck on the boss in Wily Stage 1. Now *that's* some annoying shit.

Hey, shadowman, you'll know the answer to this: is there anything different about the PS1 conversions of the original series games? Like new music or unlockable extras? I keep on looking at the copies that are up on eBay and wanting to buy them purely because of the lovely box art, but I don't know if it's worth getting them for any other reason.

I'm guessing your stuck on the Yellow Devil, a real pain if you can't get the pattern down properly and have pixel perfect jump skills! You can use the "cheat" which involves the Elec Beam and the Select button. Shoot off an Elec Beam shot and then hammer the select button which "pauses" the game for a split second, keep doing that as the Elec Beam passes through the things eye and you can score 3 or 4 hits on it before he breaks down into blocks. Not sure if it works on the Anniversary Collection version of MM though.

I always found the original MM to be the hardest of the originals (bar MM & Bass) as its not as refined as later MM games and some of the bosses do insane damage (Elec Man can kill you in 3 hits! Trying to beat him with your default buster is an achievement in itself).

Regarding your question about the Complete Works PSX games - they do have a few neat extra's that are worth tracking them down for:

A Remixed mode with a few new visual effects (new energy bars, weapon select screens), remixed music (only partial in 1-3, 4-6 get completely remixed soundtracks). A gallery/database of all enemies you've beaten and what they are weak against. Difficulty Selection (Easy, Normal, Hard) and Pocket Station compatibility (Train Megaman and the Robot Masters and give them larger energy bars/more powerful attacks). From a collection view the presentation on the cases/manuals are exceptional. All 6 feature lots of great artwork.

I'm also playing through the entire series at the moment. I've been working through Megaman Starforce Leo which has been more fun that I expected. Its really a MM game in name only as there are no real ties or characters from other series (other than a few vague mentions to the Battle Network series). The gameplay however is a lot like the BN series (which makes it really addictive). I'm just finishing up the SP boss fights and cleaning out the secret area. I'm also trying to clear Megaman 3 without dying!

#14 qazimod

qazimod

• Founding Member
  • 2,458 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 30 May 2010 - 01:17 PM

If there's anything annoying about the Yellow Devil, it's the way in which the battle is so drawn out as he goes from side to side; just hurry up and die, eh? tongue.gif

#15 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 30 May 2010 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE(qazimod @ May 30 2010, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If there's anything annoying about the Yellow Devil, it's the way in which the battle is so drawn out as he goes from side to side; just hurry up and die, eh? tongue.gif

Megaman Powered Up is awful when it comes to this! In the NES version you can usually hit him twice in 1 "round" which does a tidy bit of damage. Not so in Powered Up, its near impossible to hit him more than once in a "round" and you usually deal out pitiful damage. Fights usually last around 5 ish minutes unless your Oil Man who takes twice as long as his weapon sucks even worse! Next to Gutsman he must be the most revisited boss since he pops up as himself in MM1, 3 and both Arcade games plus other versions of him appear in 8, R&F, MMV, MM9, MM10 and probably a couple more I'm forgetting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users