The Fitness Thread

• Please log in to reply
233 replies to this topic

#226 Adrock

Adrock
  • Admin
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:25 PM

Nice going shend, I was looking a while back at my own area for a weightlifting club but there is nothing at all close enough.

Theres plenty of gyms but considering I've never lifted I need some tuition and guidance. Theres where a club would have come in handy. Since losing the weight I initially did I've become less active due to a job change and football being cancelled so I definitely need to look at doing something else.

I would feel a bit intimidated walking into a gym that'll have anywhere near decent equipment for lifting and starting out, especially on my own.

#227 Electric Boogaloo

Electric Boogaloo

Uncle Benon

• Founding Member
  • 5,277 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:11 AM

I've been doing a lot of crossfit recently. Pretty intense weights / cardio work. I've done a fair amount of running this year too, including a couple of 10ks and the Seattle 15k. Problem is, my knees start to go a bit wrong at about 10k, so my training for a half marathon hasn't gone as well as I'd like. Hence the shorter, more intense crossfit workouts.

#228 sark

sark

Inventor of *singho face*

• 1,498 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:35 AM

Physio said to me after I had had my lateral patella release  a few years ago that I can run 5km but no more. Frankly, thought to myself whats the fuckin point and havent run since.

#229 Electric Boogaloo

Electric Boogaloo

Uncle Benon

• Founding Member
  • 5,277 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:11 PM

You do a ton of cycling though right? I guess that's much easier on the knees.

#230 TheShend

TheShend

You know it is, it really is!

• Founding Member
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:41 AM

How is everyone?

I've decided to adopt a few measures to help get better sleep. I'd wanted to for a while but smitty on rollmop prompted me after reading his account.

Firstly I've installed apps like f.lux which reduce the amount of blue light your screens emit. It's all to do with better regulation of melatonin and wakefulness.

Stop looking at any screen past 8pm.

Candles instead of lamps in the later evening.

Should be interesting. I'm also hopeful this improved sleep will aid in other areas like insulin sensitivity for fat loss. Still a few kilo over my target 77kg for comp.

#231 davejm

davejm

Joy.Discovery.Invention

• Admin
  • 3,646 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:01 PM

I used to have quite bad Insomnia, but I've totally nipped that in the bud now.  One thing that helped was spending a decent amount on a new mattress.  The other thing has been to adapt my sleep patterns so I go to bed and then get up earlier.  Instead of spending too much time or gaming until the late hours, I get the PC turned off at 9:30-ish now and get into bed at 10pm with a podcast or a book.  I'm getting sleepy much earlier, and managing much better sleep overall.

FItness wise I'm starting to run again, and am still playing football on Sundays.  I'm going a '365 miles in 365 days' challenge (Boog is doing this as well), and although I've come to it late and may not catch up, it feels like a nice target.  I've only done 12.8 miles this year so far, but I'm gradually increasing my fitness so hopefully if I can start doing 6 mile runs around my local reservoir at some stage I hope to claw back the miles. 

#232 Electric Boogaloo

Electric Boogaloo

Uncle Benon

• Founding Member
  • 5,277 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:36 AM

Yay for 365miles in 365days! If anyone is on FB and wants an invite, let me know. I think I'm a little behind now at 29 miles for the year so far, but I have another 15k this month and a few smaller runs planned.

My running is actually tailing off a bit as I'm spending even more time at Crossfit. I did Tough Mudder last year and really need to work on my upper body strength, so that's working out pretty well. My exercise schedule is more like 3 weeknights Crossfit, one weeknight at Trampoline Dodgeball with mates (yes, it's as fun as it sounds), and a 3-5 mile run at weekends. Hoping to do more running in the week though, but it's so bloody cold in the PNW at the moment unless I run at lunchtime. And work is insanely busy atm, so I don't always get the chance :/

#233 plopboy

plopboy

I'm from the, uh, Confidential Committee on Moral Abuses

• Admin
  • 3,496 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:11 PM

Err hello, I'm Plop and err I never been that fit. Played a bit of football now and again but never really concentrated on fitness as such.

But I did start going to the gym last September with the good lady wife and started doing free weights, rather than the usual cardo type thing I'd tried before.

So initially I started off dead lifting about 25kg and benching about 20kg and being able to lift about 15kg above my head (yes I really good with the name :) ) anyway I'm now doing bent over rows 3 sets 10 reps at 16kg and 14kg (bring bar bells together above me when I lying down, names who needs them), I can do a few reps of 30kg above my head and squat about 65kg, but my best is the dead lift. I can dead lift about 80kg and do about 5 reps, but I managed yesterday to do a single dead lift (with much noise) at 130kg which was a new personal best.

I going about three times a week, not taking it overly seriously but am trying to up the weights a little each time but in a sensible way.

So err yeah, I still feel a little intimidated by the many dude bros, as there are some very big blokes who train there but I'm in it just to keep fit rather than do a Schwarzenegger :)

btw I have had proper advice even if I do forget the proper names :)

#234 Adrock

Adrock
  • Admin
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:26 PM

Your missus is on rllmuk right plop?

Well done on the weights have you noticed any physical changes since you've been going? I'm struggling to get myself into any kind of routine due to niggling back problems and my eating has begun to get lazy again.

I really need to get exercising though. Stopping football and cycling to the station coupled with eating more has meant I've put weight on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users