PAL GameCube (SCART RGB?)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jakeway

Jakeway

Gentleman First

• 6,460 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:20 PM

I bought Twilight Princess recently for the GC but it looks rank on my TV.

I am unsure about my scart lead. I dont think its official, I am not even sure if it one left over from a SNES or N64. Its been about 7 years since I played my GC. So all in all I am unsure if I used to play games looking this washed out on my old TV.

Does a the PAL GC could do RGB. I see it has a digital out port.. which I think wasnt usable on a PAL console... I had a google but dodnt find anything solid.

Anyone know if the PAL GC can do RGB or Component?

#2 davejm

davejm

Joy.Discovery.Invention

• Admin
  • 3,646 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:32 PM

Yeah you're probably got a composite cable.

It does RGB, if you can track down an RGB cable that'll sort you out. No component.

#3 bowser123

bowser123

Habadoodee! With a Reep-a-nazza.

• Moderators
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:40 PM

The PAL Gamecube does support a component cable, however it won't output a progressive scan signal as the games don't support it*, thus rendering it all a bit pointless. On a NTSC machine you hold down B on launch to get progressive, doing that on PAL only offers 60hz. If you had a Freeloader though and played a NTSC game that would output in progressive (if the game supported it, most 1st party did).

*Apparently the only PAL progressive scan game was a Godzilla one.

Edit- it's also worth adding that Cube component cables are crazy expensive, I think at the time they where only available direct from Nintendo. Also there was a massive disparity from official RGB to third party cables, and again, the official cables are costly. Chances are you'd be better off with a cheap Wii and component, get homebrew and Gecko on it and play it that way.

Edited by bowser123, 23 June 2013 - 03:52 PM.

#4 Jakeway

Jakeway

Gentleman First

• 6,460 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:07 PM

You're right. Looks like its cheaper to buy a second hand Wii (25) then an RGB scart.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users