#1 plopboy

plopboy

I'm from the, uh, Confidential Committee on Moral Abuses

• Admin
  • 3,496 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 17 May 2014 - 01:32 PM

Is is worth it?

I'm currently looking at my spare room and it is basically stuffed with Vidja games and collectables. Now is this sane or should I look to downsize a bit, a lot?

Basically looking for advice on my hoarding and whether it is ok not to own that limited edition dolly of some game that got shite reviews but has a high ebay value etc

To give you an idea my room looks like this

Attached File  photo 1.JPG   185KB   1 downloads

Attached File  photo 2.JPG   155.41KB   0 downloads

And considering I only actually play Street Fighter and the Souls games with any kind of regularity.

I'm getting more and more tempted to go digital but I just can't make that leap as I like my physical copies, though these days it is just a disk in a box :(

#2 Adrock

Adrock
  • Admin
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:57 PM

The pricing of games during Steam sales means digital for PC is pretty much my default purchase medium now. For consoles, however, I still feel the need to have the physical copy. Where me and you differ is the need to collect and keep stuff though.

Years ago I stopped collecting and keeping games. No use having tons of stuff I dont use, especially if it takes up loads of space.

If I were you I'd pick something you particularly like and maybe collect for that, if you feel the need to collect anything at all.

#3 plopboy

plopboy

I'm from the, uh, Confidential Committee on Moral Abuses

• Admin
  • 3,496 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:07 PM

Well I do have sub collections (my god that is a sad thing to admit) within the collection of doom (Street Fighter, From Software games, etc) and I have tried to make a start, but we will see how it goes.

I do have a sellers account on Amazon as well as ebay but I have to get the motivation up to list everything I want to sell and if it goes for peanuts it hardly seems worth it.

#4 Adrock

Adrock
  • Admin
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:45 PM

Yeah that was my biggest problem when getting rid of my stuff. The £5-10 you get for most games hardly seems worth it when you have to post them too, but you have tons of games so it'll all add up pretty quickly.

Also, start on forums and go from there. Anything that doesn't get picked up quickly can be listed on eBay or Amazon.

#5 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:11 PM

If I were you I'd pick something you particularly like and maybe collect for that, if you feel the need to collect anything at all.

This right here is what works for me. For the longest time I'd focus on collecting within the Megaman series. Now that its not getting any new games I'm collecting Euro Vita games (which is dead fun as I'm playing them all through as I get them, or trying to!). I'm also collecting Game and Watch handhelds but I've got all the cheap ones so that's a matter of saving more money...

I do miss collecting retro stuff though, I might go back and grab the Snes, Dreamcast, Neo Geo etc. games I'm short. Space wise I have a new bookshelf that will act as my current gen storage as I get more games. Its a pain in the ass to store games, especially when you have old PC games with crazy size boxes!

#6 Singho

Singho

U CAN'T SEE MEEE!

• Admin
  • 11,144 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:45 AM

I think it's worth it.  Besides, why would you collect games if you had no interest in them.

My collection has slowly built up over the years and there are very few things that I have that I wouldn't mind getting rid of.  I've never bought anything with the intention to sell it at a higher price, I've bought things which I loved playing.  I think the X360 is my most bought for console, but it has had the longest life span of all the consoles and there has been a huge amount of good games out on it.

For instance, I've bought a ton of Retro SNES and AES games recently.  Some of these games I owned when I was younger and got rid of them to fund the price of newer games.  I've more or less got my entire childhood games library winging it's way over to me in a box from Japan and it's exciting!  Some of the SNES games I couldn't source or afford and had to borrow them from friends.

AES games were definately out of my reach, but that's all I played at my local arcade.  Every KOF from 94 onwards to 98 and all of the other weird and wonderful fighters on that machine.  Just having the physical carts of some of these game, I don't know what it is, but it makes me happy that I now have them on my shelf.

I've got the spare room set up to store most of my stuff and it's all packed in tightly, but I even enjoy looking at all the stuff sometimes.

Anyway, Ploppy, if you are getting rid of any JPN PSOne, JPN Saturn, SFC, JPN DC games, make sure you list dat shit up here first! :P

#7 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:07 PM

AES games were definately out of my reach, but that's all I played at my local arcade.  Every KOF from 94 onwards to 98 and all of the other weird and wonderful fighters on that machine.  Just having the physical carts of some of these game, I don't know what it is, but it makes me happy that I now have them on my shelf.

That's one of the reasons I enjoy collecting now. The first game I added to my collection when I got a job was Megaman Wily Wars (at a silly cheap price no less) and then I got an AES pretty much just because I could (and I don't really like Emulating when I can avoid it). I want to get all the KOF's on the AES personally. I love each of them in their own way...

I do wish I had the space for a larger CRT TV though, I miss my old 28" TV before it died, that thing was ace. I also wish I had space for a smaller LCD TV for my Wii/Gamecube. They look like ass on my big TV thanks to the sub HD outputs. Though I might just emulate those when I build my new PC, Wii emulated is bloody amazing.

Edited by shadowman, 18 May 2014 - 01:14 PM.

#8 TheShend

TheShend

You know it is, it really is!

• Founding Member
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:22 PM

I've got a very specific Street Fighter III collection which is keeping me occupied.

I'm at the stage where items I want come up infrequently enough to be an affordable distraction and niche enough that there's not too much stuff to make room for. Plus, I like to see it as archiving material surrounding the game and culture that I can use to write about in the future.

If I could get my hands on some of the Japanese arcade signage for places that have shut down, that might be a bit much!

I've had a sudden compulsion to buy a SNES recently for some reason. I've a Metorid cart sat randomly amongst my misc games I feel I should play.

#9 TheShend

TheShend

• Founding Member
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:37 PM

I should also add, go to http://alifewellwasted.com/ and download all of his podcasts obviously, as they're amazing, but specifically the episode 'Gotta Catch 'em All' on the topic of collecting. Some lovely stories in there.

#10 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:25 PM

I should also add, go to http://alifewellwasted.com/ and download all of his podcasts obviously, as they're amazing, but specifically the episode 'Gotta Catch 'em All' on the topic of collecting. Some lovely stories in there.

I'll have to give that a listen when I get a chance, sounds good :)

Hows the SFIII collection coming along anyway, got anything decent lately?

#11 TheShend

TheShend

• Founding Member
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:35 PM

I'll have to give that a listen when I get a chance, sounds good :)

Hows the SFIII collection coming along anyway, got anything decent lately?

Yeah, I completed the 2nd print run of Kuroda DVDs released by Game Spot Versus Arcade in Tokyo, picked up a EVO Moment #37 book from Glenn Cravens, where I get a tiny mention near the back and a fabulous pair of T-shirts and event guide fro the most Cooperation Cup 3rd Strike Tournament.

My source has a couple of things in the pipeline for me too.

I did spot a 3rd Strike soundtrack Vinyl from a Japanese twitter user I follow and became insta-jealous.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users