20 replies to this topic

#1 Singho

Singho

U CAN'T SEE MEEE!

• Admin
  • 11,144 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:25 PM

Hey Guys

Firstly, I would like to say a great big thank you for the old faithful that have still persisted to post on here...for whatever reason!

I've not had a laptop\PC for a number of months and I have always intended to get back onto GHZ once I had decided to take the place over again in November 2014.  

Big Ups Uiruki, Plopboy, Shadowman and Qazi.  Once this place is back up and running, I will send all of you boys a game of your choice!

Also, a great big thank you to Laser aka Chris who has hosted the site since ever since this place had been set up.  He has closed up shop but we have been placed into the hands of Matt @ Lloyds Hosting who has been very kind in archiving and putting the site back online this week.

So, this is the deal.

The option was there to archive the site and then just call it quits.  But I honestly love this place and I have tried to go back to some of the other forums but it didn't feel right.  When this place was at it's most active, there was such a range of great posts and knowledgeable opinions on games that didn't get drowned out or lost in people asking whether Shopto has delivered their game early.

So, I just thought it would be a good idea to give it a final push.

Previously, I think the reason why the place didn't move forward was because there were too many Chiefs.  We also had some illusions of grandeur of becoming a review site which kind of took away the focus.  There was also a number of years where a lot of antogonists drove a number of quality posters away, which should have been nipped in the bud earlier on.

But, I think what is best for GHZ is we just stay as a forum, discussing games and anything that comes up along the way will naturally occur.

If there is anything that people would like to see here in terms of forum features or any ideas to bring back some of the older forum personalities, just post here.

I'm gutted I couldn't get back on this place before E3 as that would have been the perfect time for a restart, but hey, never mind.

If anyone has ideas for or suggestions such as new forum software or upgrades as well, that may help revive the place on an aesthetic level.  But, main thing is, let's get posting again.

Cheers!

Jassi

#2 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 06:00 AM

Thanks - I was worried when it vanished all of a sudden. I've been a bit apprehensive of posting new threads as I don't want the "new threads" block to be entirely made up of threads by me so thanks for clearing that blockage ;)

#3 ssmmdd

ssmmdd
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 02 July 2015 - 08:39 PM

Hello!

I am ssmmdd - or Matthew Lloyd. I own Lloyd Hosting and your lovely forum is now residing on my Cloud Hosting system. It's in the UK like DX Hosting was.

Just thought I'd say hello, really. Not sure what else to say now. *cough*

Anyway, if you get any weird errors, give me a shout. Apologies for the downtime - it took a while to upload and correctly sort out almost 5GB of data...

I know uploading new avatars isn't working at the moment but I'm working on that. I think it's affecting anything uploaded, but it's a priority for me to fix.

In regards to new forum software, this one seems okay, but I always recommend vBulletin - be warned it's not cheap though.

Edited by ssmmdd, 02 July 2015 - 08:41 PM.

#4 davejm

davejm

Joy.Discovery.Invention

• Admin
  • 3,644 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 03 July 2015 - 05:03 AM

Hey guys, glad you got everything going over to the new host :)

#5 qazimod

qazimod

• Founding Member
  • 2,441 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 03 July 2015 - 09:32 PM

Nice to see this place is still around. :) Really sorry that I haven't been very active of late - I've fallen into some bad lurking habits where I periodically check in, see nothing much is going on and go do something else when I could be offering some more contributions. Personally I wouldn't change this place too much and I'm happy with it's current state, but I'll offer feedback for any ideas that are going around.

PS. as an additional point about me not posting anything, I'm equally inactive in other places because we're in that awkward summer period where nothing's being released and no-one's playing anything. Will try and collect some thoughts about stuff that I'd been meaning to mention - first priority is to bump the Persona 5 thread with the newest trailer, then maybe later I'll find time to gush about Nier X Platinum at E3!  :wub:

#6 Fuddle

Fuddle

Schizotypal

• 1,608 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:12 PM

it would be a shame to see this place go, so i'm glad its still hanging on.

i come back and see whats been posted every so often.

but i'm generally a bit too lazy to play many games or bother posting about them… not that i did much anyway.

#7 Electric Boogaloo

Electric Boogaloo

Uncle Benon

• Founding Member
  • 5,277 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 03:43 AM

Great to see it still going. I miss all you guys and wish I had more time to hang out with you all!

#8 plopboy

plopboy

I'm from the, uh, Confidential Committee on Moral Abuses

• Admin
  • 3,476 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 12 July 2015 - 09:10 PM

Props to Singho for getting this sorted :)

#9 ssmmdd

ssmmdd
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:40 PM

Apologies, there were some errors in the mySQL Database.

These have been repaired and as you can see, all is working again.

#10 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:15 AM

Great - thanks a lot. I was trying to post and it was all going funny.

#11 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

Just as you suspected, everything I have told you is gibberish

• Admin
  • 8,840 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 01 November 2015 - 06:55 PM

Just to say, again, that I do still pop over here every now and again, but I'm still without internet access anywhere other than work, so posting is pretty much out of the question. If I do get a connection at home, I'll be back on.

#12 corposant

corposant
  • 734 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 10:40 PM

So, it's more than five years since I last posted here, but what a lovely surprise to see the forum still going and an even bigger surprise that I can remember my sign in details! Not sure I was ever very active anyway, but inspired by the need to find some folks to help fill out a fire team in Destiny, I thought I'd pop back and see what's what Well, that and the fact that this used to be a proper good read with some great topics and posts and I've kinda missed that. Looking forward to getting back in!

#13 MrToad

MrToad

Barcode Battler

• 1,590 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:50 AM

Hey there corp! Welcome back! :D

#14 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

Just as you suspected, everything I have told you is gibberish

• Admin
  • 8,840 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 03 May 2016 - 12:52 AM

So, have people migrated to other gaming boards or has there been a drop-off in everybody's gaming and posting activity due to real-life demands on time?

#15 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:44 AM

I've been snowed under with work stuff and guiding my parents around Japan for three weeks! I've barely posted anywhere really.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users