Photo

Sega Model 2 Emulator

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Le Spank

Le Spank
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 07:48 PM

Do we talk about emulation on this site?

Anyway, I was excited to find out that Segas Model 2 board had been worked on and that games like Daytona, Sega Rally and House of the Dead were playable.

I can't understand the instructions for this emulator (and they dont seem that complex tbh!) or make the thing work. Does anyone else have a clue? I would love to see arcade perfect Daytona running on my computer.

#2 qazimod

qazimod

• Founding Member
  • 2,458 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 13 May 2007 - 07:53 PM

By the looks of the game list in the "Load Rom" menu, the romset column is what you'd be googling for (with .zip on the end, if it's anything like MAME.) If you look at this...

By copying all files found in the different Daytona MAME sets to a unique daytona.zip placed in Model 2 Emulator's ROMS subdir, you can play Daytona USA, Daytona USA (Saturn Ads) and Daytona USA: To The Maxx. Only Daytona USA Turbo requires roms not found in MAME sets.

So it sounds as though it can use the roms you find on your usual MAME ROM haunts. I'll check this out though...

#3 Le Spank

Le Spank
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:04 PM

Gah, I can't do it!

I've downloaded all the ROM files I can find relating to daytona, I just don't know where to put them, or if I have to extract them, or rename them or what!

#4 qazimod

qazimod

• Founding Member
  • 2,458 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:14 PM

Hmm, word on the net is that other people try straight MAME roms and it says they have missing files (I had trouble when I tried dropping it straight into the "roms" directory), so I think I got a bad file. You shouldn't have to extract stuff though, and you should be able to put it in the "roms" directory.

Give me a sec...

EDIT: Working now, but its methods are a bit daft; I had to go into service and change the Link ID to single before it'd work...bloody service modes... tongue.gif

Edited by qazimod, 13 May 2007 - 08:14 PM.

#5 Le Spank

Le Spank
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:14 PM

Hmm, I downloaded Sega Rally and that worked fine... so I was doing everything right it's just I can't seem to find a working Daytona ROM! How annoying!

Let me know if you find one tongue.gif

#6 qazimod

qazimod

• Founding Member
  • 2,458 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:21 PM

Right, first things first, most of my places for MAME ROMs had no decent files, so don't even try them. I don't even know if there's a special place that deals with Model 2 ROMs, and I got my working version from a bloody RapidShare link. And even then it wasn't working fully (see below.) Anyway, like MAME you can drop a zipped ROM into the m2\roms\ directory and it'll load straight off the menu.

However, when I booted the ROM I was greeted with the message "Cancelled. Network Board not present." This suggested I'd need to go sniffing in Service Mode to fix something. After a quick google here and there I found that if you go into service mode (F2) and scroll to "Game System" (scrolling for me is bound to "z", and to pick an option I press "1"), you'll see an option called "Link ID"; change that to "Single" (again with 1) and then exit and restart, and it should work. Cursors cater for acceleration, braking and steering.

Edited by qazimod, 13 May 2007 - 08:44 PM.

#7 Le Spank

Le Spank
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:01 PM

Don't suppose you would share that ROM/link mate?

Thanks for your help!

#8 qazimod

qazimod

• Founding Member
  • 2,458 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:04 PM

NP.

Edited by qazimod, 13 May 2007 - 09:18 PM.

#9 jide

jide
  • Donator
  • 504 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE(Le Spank @ May 13 2007, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't suppose you would share that ROM/link mate?

Thanks for your help!

Please tell me Virtua Fighter 2 works with this ?

#10 Le Spank

Le Spank
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:36 PM

Virtua Fighter 2 doesn't work, to be fair most other games work pretty well though.

I've been playing Daytona USA, Sega Rally, Virtual On, House of the Dead, Virtua Cop and Top Skater.

All of these games represent the finest gaming age there was imo 1994-1998

Hope this emulator continues to improve! Arcade perfect Daytona USA is gaming nirvana

#11 qazimod

qazimod

• Founding Member
  • 2,458 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:43 PM

House of the Dead? Crikey.

"Don't shoot, I'm a human!"

EDIT: wrong game...

"Others are still inside! Save them!"

Edited by qazimod, 15 May 2007 - 02:14 PM.

#12 Le Spank

Le Spank
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 04:24 PM

qazimod.... that was the second game!!!!

#13 qazimod

qazimod

• Founding Member
  • 2,458 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:29 PM

FFS! >.<

#14 Le Spank

Le Spank
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 12:37 PM

This works like a charm on my new computer... here are some shots:

Edited by Le Spank, 16 June 2007 - 12:47 PM.

#15 Super Stu

Super Stu
  • 13,675 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 01:57 PM

o_O

Must give this a try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users