#2 Singho

Singho

U CAN'T SEE MEEE!

• Admin
  • 11,144 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:30 PM

Just watched it, looks great. smile.gif

Who didnt see it coming though? biggrin.gif

Final part of the movie with that mother ship and all those banshees flying towards that opening...looked pretty impressive. Cortana I reckon is gonna be a problem for Master Cheif in this storyline... smile.gif

#3 Electric Boogaloo

Electric Boogaloo

Uncle Benon

• Founding Member
  • 5,277 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:52 PM

Looks absolutely fantastic...

I seriously hope that they sort the single player game out this time though. Halo 2's was dire.

#4 Super Stu

Super Stu
  • 13,675 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 09:04 PM

Crivens, I really hope that's real time, as a demonstration of the power of the 360 if nothing else.

Music was stiring too, I find myself looking forward to it O_o

#5 Liam

Liam

white wii wii....oooh oooh

• 1,854 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 10:12 PM

It was pretty and all, but mostly shit. Reveals little about the actual game.
I'm guessing that's the Ark thing on Earth. This has slipped to 2007 now? I was hoping it'd trump the PS3.

#6 Crispin

Crispin

I need laid.

• Donator
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 11:56 PM

I want it to come out when its ready. Releasing a single game is not going to derail a console launch. Let it come out when they've got it nice and polished. After all, designing interesting maps, fixing the lack of freeform combat in its predecessor and removing the parts where the Arbiter was going to go takes time.

Plus they need to re-record the "wort wort wort" sounds. Sod this civil war bollocks. If you're going to play as an Elite, just play as a genocidal character who just says "waugghh!". None of this pseudo-honour bollocks.

#7 Gunstar

Gunstar

Running out of Turbo

• 845 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 04:35 AM

That traier is all about the music. What a f*cking score! it doesn't show anything. Not even fit to be called a trailer, it's more like a teaser but god damn if I haven't watched it over 10 times already.

I thought before I didn't care much for Halo's storyline but I now want to be sucked into it's universe. Time to get the books me thinks...

#8 TheShend

TheShend

You know it is, it really is!

• Founding Member
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 11:03 AM

Some creedance to Jake's 1st post!

QUOTE(gamespot)
The Bungie representatives made it clear to us that the trailer was running in real-time on the Xbox 360. The trailer is set in the African desert, and it was taken from roughly a third of the way through the game. Cohen noted that the constant battling has taken its toll on Master Chief, and you can see that by the many scars and gouges in his armor. The flashes of Cortana seen in the trailer fill you in on the state of her mind, and the Forerunner structure seen in the distance at the end of the trailer represents a pivotal point in the story.

We next met with Marcus Lehto, Bungie's art director, who filled us in on the technology as he gave us a fly through of the locations in the trailer. The crater seen in the trailer is three miles across, and it's all rendered in real geometry, which means that all of it is actually in the game. Halo 3 has a new global lighting system that now lights everything uniquely from the same source, which explains just how that setting sun looked that good as it illuminated everything in the trailer. Halo 2, on the other hand, used a lighting system that lit everything separately. Meanwhile, parallax mapping is able to give depth to structures in the distance, such as the clouds above the crater. A new particle system offers different levels of light diffusion to take the quality of the atmosphere into account, and that makes for different layers of light.

The demo shifted away from the crater to the part of the level you see the Master Chief walking in from. He was controllable, which means that the trailer is pretty much what the game will look like. Lehto was able to zoom in on the Master Chief with the camera, and you could see the many different ways light reflected objects onto him. For example, you could see light reflect off the ground and onto his armor. A new materials system shows the difference between his armor and the rubber undersuit. It's so detailed that if you bring the camera close to the Master Chief's visor, you see everything in front of him reflected in it, right down to the ammo counter in his rifle.

It goes without saying that Halo 3 looks really impressive. We'll have to wait to learn more, but we'll keep you up to date with any developments.

Wowser ohmy.gif

Edited by TheShend, 10 May 2006 - 11:03 AM.

#9 TheShend

TheShend

You know it is, it really is!

• Founding Member
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 09:41 AM

Bungie staff responsible for the Halo 3 trailer talk abit. Confirm it was in-game and not in-engine ala Halo 2 trailer.

Well we got back from E3 yesterday, or at least Sketch and I did, and to be honest, we didn't see anything of the actual show. We were actually just there to do set up for the trailer and a little surprise afterwards.

The event took place at the fabled Chinese Theater in Hollywood. We were there a couple of days before to do dress rehearsals and make sure audio and video were hooked up correctly. We also had to install a 360 debug kit with the teaser on it. The entire thing runs in real time, so there was plenty of opportunity for things to go wrong, and practice makes perfect. So we practiced.

We actually had six debugs all told. Three for the E3 briefing at the theater and three for something we did later. The three at the conference were the main unit - Harold Ryan our studio manager sat patiently backstage, waiting to press "A" after Bill Gates' speech. A dirty little secret was that he pressed "A" on two controllers simultaneously. That way if one of the boxes was accidentally unplugged, or broke, or gasp - crashed, the projector would switch seamlessly to the second Xbox and hopefully nobody would notice.

That diidn't happen - we'd stress tested the Xbox systems and the game code very robustly before we left. After it ran though, we were all able to breathe a sigh of relief. We didn't want to run a video of the demo - we wanted the crowd to see it in realtime, on a real 360.

The buildup to the trailer was not without its gaffes. We spotted one of our own staff wearing his Halo 3 t-shirt before the announcement and quickly told him to zip up his jacket. Amazingly, in that 20 second window - a Kotaku reporter spotted him and actually blogged it.

The other blog-related mini-disaster was the fact that the Halo 3 trailer appeared on Xbox Live at around 12:15, before it had appeared at the conference (which was running a little late). A few members of the press in the crowd probably sooted that on their wireless devices - but thankfully they kept quiet.

We were hiding in the back out of sight - primarily to see what the crowd reaction would be like. We started sweating when Gears of War got immediate rapturous applause, and the crowd went positively nuts when Peter Moore revealed that Grand theft Auto 4 would be released for 360 (my bet - set in Tokyo and starring Beat Takeshi as a Yakuza boss).

Eventually the conference started to wind down towards what we knew was the Halo 3 announce. We basked in the applause and then literally ran back across the street to set up a little behind the scenes thing for the press. Again, we wanted to stress that the thing was in realtime.

Our pals at Pioneer loaned us one of their sweet new 360 audio systems - a 5.1 surround system with a 360-themed industrial design and an awesome form factor - and a couple of 50 inch plasmas to match. Hao Chen, our graphics guy, spent two days calibrating them with his all-new custom-built HD video calibration software. We've begged Hao to maybe work a consumer version into the game. We just have to be really, really nice to him all year.

We used the TVs and audio to demo the fact that the game was realtime to an assortment of press. Basically CJ Cowan (or TJ Cohen as he's now known) and Marcus Lehto, our cinematic and art directors respectively, flew around our environment.

There wasn't much to show at the moment, since we're keeping things under warps for now, but CJ clued everyone in on the 3-mile wide Forerunner artifact, Cortana's state of mind and the Chief (no it's not Linda, or Kelly…) battered Mjolnir armor.

Marcus showed off the new engine's lighting system, the self-shadowing and realtime reflection on the Chief, and the fact that we can draw geometry out to about 13 or 14 (game) miles. There was other stuff, but we'll talk about that later.

I think we had a great showing and we certainly had fun doing it, but getting the announcement out there was a huge weight off our minds. Lots more coming soon kids."

#10 hankwang

hankwang

please stop typing William

• Founding Member
  • 8,666 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 12:32 PM

Fuck my arse, I thought it was CG! I couldn't believe that the section at the end was in-game! blink.gif

The trailer is set in the African desert, and it was taken from roughly a third of the way through the game.

gr5w4hby5th!!!!!!! How far are they in development then!? That's way more than I was expecting to see.

Oh my crap, I'm excited biggrin.gif

#11 Corrupt Rose

Corrupt Rose

Invaders must be scolded sternly

• 3,031 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 11:05 PM

QUOTE(Singho @ May 9 2006, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Final part of the movie with that mother ship and all those banshees flying towards that opening...looked pretty impressive. Cortana I reckon is gonna be a problem for Master Cheif in this storyline... smile.gif

I reckon she's going to go Rampant a la Durandal in Marathon. Bungie likes their insane AIs. I actually think Cortana's been Rampant since she got into the Halo Computer Core in the first game.

#12 Garibaldi

Garibaldi

All hail King Biscuit!

• Founding Member
  • 2,365 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 11:08 PM

All very well saying that Bungie should take their time etc, but I think they're just as aware as everyone else that MS needs this in 2007.

#13 Moodmon

Moodmon
  • Founding Member
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 11:48 AM

Let's be honest, they only really need a half decent single player campaign this time. While it would be nice to have an upgraded multiplayer part, the thing still stands out as one of the best Live implentations on the Xbox. The MP is in the bag, so to speak.

Just give me a non-shitty story. Unlike, say, Halo 2.

#14 Crisp_Rapper

Crisp_Rapper
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 12:13 PM

Hao Chen, our graphics guy, spent two days calibrating them with his all-new custom-built HD video calibration software. We've begged Hao to maybe work a consumer version into the game. We just have to be really, really nice to him all year.

that would be pretty cool actually... setup your kit to 'halo mode' ph34r.gif

vid looked great, a complete cocktease but great... it's almost horrifying to think i'll have to wait until next year though sad.gif

#15 Crispin

Crispin

I need laid.

• Donator
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE(Garibaldi Biscuit @ May 15 2006, 12:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All very well saying that Bungie should take their time etc, but I think they're just as aware as everyone else that MS needs this in 2007.

Er, why? The 360 line-up can't be that sparse surely? A reliance on a few over-hyped titles is not a position MS would want to be in at this point in the console's life. An excellent game will drive sales about the same as an overhyped shoddy one, but the former would reflect more favourably on Microsoft's console, helping to foster a sense of brand loyalty.

QUOTE(Moodmon @ May 15 2006, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Let's be honest, they only really need a half decent single player campaign this time. While it would be nice to have an upgraded multiplayer part, the thing still stands out as one of the best Live implentations on the Xbox. The MP is in the bag, so to speak.

Just give me a non-shitty story. Unlike, say, Halo 2.

No. They need a full decent single player campaign this time. I want something up to the quality of the first game. No bosses. Just excellent set-pieces. A feeling of simply being a part of a larger battlefield, fighting side by side with A.I. against other A.I. I also want amazing level design, not the crap found through about ooh about 2/3rds of the levels in Halo 2.

I want freeform combat back. If I'm going to attempt a section using certain weapons, I want to be able to succeed (if only just). Just like in the first game. In the sequel if you didn't have the exact weapons, or go round a certain way, tough shit.

I want wide battlefields. I want to be flanked, because the enemy AI is good, not just because flood burst out of a ventilation access tube 5 ft behind me. I want every run through of a set-piece to be different, giving me a reason to want to run through it. I also want it to be a hell of a lot more clear where the hell I need to go next.

I don't want a corridor shooter - I want Halo. I want the advantages of having a ****ing game set on a futuristic earth entails. Street warfare, possibly even being able to set up ambushes, using multiple levels of a street. Refugees - where the hell were the people? Resistance fighters.

Most importantly:
I WANT BETTER BLOODY LIGHTING OR AT LEAST A BRIGHTER TORCHLIGHT.

Edited by Crispin, 15 May 2006 - 04:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users