PC PS4 Xbone

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 09:25 PM

I'm a couple of hours into the single player. I gather the multi beta was a bit of a mess.

First off, I'm running on a 2600K with a 780Ti and to be clear 1440p isn't possible. With yesterday's new nVidia drivers and use of the resolution scale, I'm running at a mix of high and ultra at 70-100fps. If you're having trouble running smoothly the resolution seems to be the biggest thing by a massive margin.

Anyway, this game was looking not so great for such a long time. Multiple versions binned, key staff leaving over and over again, even more recent stuff with the poorly received multi and the suspicion review embargo. In a shock move, the single player of this game is extremely fun in a fashion I've not seen since the last botched Bethesda FPS launch, Wolfenstein.

You play as an angry man who is ordered to "rip and tear until it is done" so you get up off your restraining table, shoots some demon types and run over to the "DEMONIC INVASION IN PROGRESS" screen to get your the goal. Then shooting with the very occasional bit of talking.

To try and boil the game down in as simple a fashion as possible, I think what id have done is take the setting and some of the guns of Doom, the movement, speed and verticality of campaign Quake (closer to the "slow" Quake 2 run speed), the challenges and upgrades of Wolfenstein and the survivability of Warhammer Space Marine (I don't care what anyone says, that game was loads of fun). That means shotguns, platforming secrets, coloured keycards, combat challenges which unlock bits and pieces for your suit as well as two customisable lines for each of your guns (the shotgun's explosive round a particular star so far) and killing enemies as a major way of getting health and ammo. This is where the controversial glory kill system comes in: hit an enemy enough and it flashes blue. Then you run up and melee, get a short execution animation and the enemy is then guaranteed to drop health. The animations don't take too long and having upped the FOV a bit I have been able to use the invulnerable animation time to get ready for the next target. The chainsaw works similarly: hit G to switch to it, then grind up an enemy to have a whole load of ammo pickups for each ammo type shower out. Fuel for this is limited and the amount used is determined by the size of the enemy, as it also acts as an instant kill.

The upshot is that you scoot around at high speed, bouncing around and killing enemies while trying not to get hit as you're pretty fragile and there's no regeneration so you rely on pickups and glory kills. It's very easy to get into a groove thanks to things like the fire rate of the shotgun and your relatively low ammo stock count plus the way the chainsaw works seem to make it the best idea to change around weapons a lot. The enemy designs aren't as distinct as the original sprites but you should recognise things pretty quick and enemies like the Hell Knight have new attacks to throw you off. On that note, when you die the animation that plays out is dependent on how you were killed. Possessed scientists keep hitting you while you're down, imp fireballs set you on fire and I've gibbed myself at one point. Apparently falling into lava gives you a particularly funny one.

Overall I'd say that this is exactly my cup of tea. Fast, violent, but still encouraging the player to find cubby holes and jump onto narrow railings or air vents for secret stuff. Great stuff so far.

#2 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:07 PM

Sounds great, its exactly what I want from a Doom game. If only they didn't launch it the same week as Uncharted 4...

Is there much story in the game? As I can't imagine there is much need for it - just point you in the direction of demons and have at it. Even with Doom 3 trying to do a story, it all basically boiled down to the exact same thing.

#3 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:41 PM

Not really. It's hardly Doom 3 - there's a voice which tells you either to destroy or not to destroy stuff, and you destroy it. There's also a woman with a funny haircut/head implant thing.

#4 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 11:10 PM

Couple more hours, couple more missions. It really is excellent. The only issue I'm having is that it's been so long since I've had to swap weapons past about 4 on the keyboard I keep missing when I want to get some of the later weapons! Everything seems to have its own use and the weapon upgrades are really satisfying to use. I just instinctively reach for the super shotgun when I see a hell knight now because of its stopping power, while imps get the basic shotgun, and revenants the rifle for example. Monster infighting seems to be in too, which is great. This may well be my favourite game of the year so far.

#5 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

Just as you suspected, everything I have told you is gibberish

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 04 July 2016 - 02:18 PM

I'd love to play this, but I'm getting some serious performance issues with it. I expected that I'd probably need to notch everything down to the lowest settings to get it running at a decent speed, but even when I get it running smoothly, I can't guarantee that it won't suddenly crap out. It's very, very odd - it'll be going great guns, middle of a big firefight, lots of stuf on the screen, then I'll initiate a melee kill and the entire game will suddenly start running like a one-legged dog through treacle. Or I'll shoot a barrel and the same thing will happen. I'd understand some slowdown while some of the more graphically intensive things are happening, but not only does the frame rate not pick up again after the dust has settled, it just gets worse and worse.

Really disappointing. My machine's not exactly top of the range any longer, I realise, but it can run other recent(ish) AAA releases - Phantom Pain, for example - with everything dialed up to max without ever dropping a single frame. I thought Doom might as least be playable on it...

#6 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 03:44 PM

The main thing for me on a 2013-era top end card was render resolution - have you tried reducing it? Almost seems like you're running out of memory and there's some kind of leak.

#7 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

Just as you suspected, everything I have told you is gibberish

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 04 July 2016 - 06:50 PM

Yeah, whacked everything down to low, problems still present. Cleared it off the hard drive for the time being, will go back to it once I've completed games that I've got more time invested in, by which point there might be a fix (or a driver update, or something).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PC, PS4, Xbone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users