PS3 360 PC

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Valken

Valken

FEVER TIME!

• 3,037 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:45 PM

I've wanted this game for ages, but reports of very sluggish framerates on both the PS3 and 360 completely put me off picking it up for full price. I noticed that it was supposed to get a PC release in June 2010 so I'd sit tight and pick that up. It finally got a PC release in September.

The port itself it pretty much bare bones. Aside from resolution, gamma and vsync settings, the menus are all console based. In face, if you've got a 360 controller connected, not only does it detect and work perfectly with it, they keyboard and mouse controls get disabled exactly like they did with Metro 2033. Cue loads of PC people whinging about it. I think it's great!

In the game, you are War, one of the four horsemen of the apolalypse who seems to have been duped into unleashing armageddon on Earth. Luckily, you've been given permission to clean up after yourself in the form of a 3rd person action rpg/hack and slash type affair that really, really reminds me of Soul Reaver, another game I loved.

As far as hack and slash games go, it seems pretty straight forward. I totally expect to open up more combos and the like later, but for now I'll have to make so with a few slash, dash and throw attacks. That said, the combat is great fun and some of the demon's kick ass!

I think the game expects me to collect seals or something and as I do, I'll restore my powers, gain access to new areas and and progress through the game. You all know the drill. This game does nothing new.

Luckily though, it looks great, sounds great, feels great to play and is fantastically paced from the get go. Sadly, the PC version on Steam is €49.99, so I bought it from a US game download service, and entered the code they emailed me into Steam! Stupid Euro pricing a go go!

And now for some screenshots. The game runs at 1920*1200 @ 60fps on my machine without even breaking into a sweat. I'll be honest, I could live with quick and dirty console ports like this all the time for third party stuff...

Attached File  DarksidersPC_2010_09_28_19_29_23_53.png   3.16MB   6 downloads

Attached File  DarksidersPC_2010_09_28_20_47_16_50.png   2.63MB   2 downloads

Attached File  DarksidersPC_2010_09_28_20_57_41_40.png   2.84MB   3 downloads

Attached File  DarksidersPC_2010_09_28_21_22_22_85.png   2.87MB   1 downloads

Attached File  DarksidersPC_2010_09_28_21_26_45_65.png   3.25MB   2 downloads

Edited by bowser123, 29 March 2014 - 02:33 PM.

#2 Valken

Valken

FEVER TIME!

• 3,037 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:56 PM

I love this game!

Attached File  DarksidersPC_2010_09_28_22_22_15_74.png   2.54MB   3 downloads

Attached File  DarksidersPC_2010_09_28_22_51_30_74.png   2.94MB   3 downloads

#3 Paleface

Paleface
  • 314 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:36 PM

It's cracking. It has an appalling first 90 minutes that make it feel like a passable but easy brawler, culminating in a horrible Panzer-Dragoon-ripoff.

And then you hit the first dungeon, and you realise that it's not a brawler at all; it's a more violent version of Zelda, with in-dungeon-saving. Which, of course, means the dungeons can be bigger.

The first dungeon proper is available as the demo - it's huge, about two hours, and totally recommended if you like this sort of thing. It culminates with one of the hardest bosses in the game. If you like that, you will like Darksiders.

Yes, it's pompous and overblown, and it makes its debts - to Metroid and Zelda and many others - very obvious. But it's still done really well. I reckon I'm about halfway through at the moment - taking it slowly between other games. But really, it's cracking.

From those screengrabs, Valken, it looks like you haven't hit the first dungeon (the Cathedral) quite - or have you? I'll be interested to know what you think once Tiamat is dead...

#4 Valken

Valken

FEVER TIME!

• 3,037 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:37 AM

No, I haven't hit the first dungeon yet, I'm on my way there!

I've heard the first boss is tough all right! I'll come back when I've got that far!

#5 Paleface

Paleface
  • 314 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:50 AM

Ah, cool - I'm just curious, because really, the game proper is more like that dungeon than like the opening. Enjoy!

#6 plopboy

plopboy

I'm from the, uh, Confidential Committee on Moral Abuses

• Admin
  • 3,497 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:07 PM

I must have a go at this one as it is one of the cheap unplayed games I have on the shelf.

#7 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

Just as you suspected, everything I have told you is gibberish

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:14 PM

I liked what I played of it - which was a few hours - right up until I came to a boss battle on a broken overhead roadway. The constant pastings I received there suggested to me that I was doing something wrong (it had all been pretty easy up to that point) and I meant to have a look on a FAQ or something, to find out what I was missing, but I forgot and the game ended up getting left at the bottom of the pile.

I need to go back to it, because it was surprisingly decent and not at all the terrible GoW clone I was expecting.

#8 Valken

Valken

FEVER TIME!

• 3,037 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:39 AM

I put another couple of hours into it last night and got to the first dungeon via a Panzer Dragoon section and some amusing challenge rooms.

Still liking it. The first dungeon isn't that taxing so far and I haven't got to a boss yet but it's all good fun.

I did run into a small bug though. In the dungeon you can pick up swords that you give to statues to unlock doors. If you have a sword but haven't used it yet, don't save and quit because when you reload, the sword's gone but the door isn't unlocked! I wonder if the same applies to keys... I'm sure not going to tempt fate!!!

Also, Mark Hamill and Vernon Wells are voice actors in the game!

Panzer Dragoon 'homage'
Attached File  DarksidersPC_2010_09_29_19_44_45_66.png   2.53MB   3 downloads

The first dungeon Paleface mentioned
Attached File  DarksidersPC_2010_09_29_19_51_44_05.png   2.6MB   2 downloads

Yes, there are exploding rocks and a boomerang. Nintendo should've patented that concept!
Attached File  DarksidersPC_2010_09_30_00_11_05_16.png   3.11MB   4 downloads

Edited by Valken, 30 September 2010 - 05:01 PM.

#9 Valken

Valken

FEVER TIME!

• 3,037 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:37 AM

Got to Tiamat last night and made a few attempts. She's quite a tough boss, although perhaps for the wrong reasons...

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Anyway, still loving it, more so now that I'm in the game proper!

#10 Valken

Valken

FEVER TIME!

• 3,037 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:33 PM

She's dead! Still love the game. She actually wasn't too tough in the end. It's just a matter of getting the dodge timing right and trying not to fight with the spazzy aiming too much.

I still love the game! Time to have some fun with Chaos form!

#11 Valken

Valken

FEVER TIME!

• 3,037 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 09:18 PM

I can't believe no one else is playing a game originally released in January at the same time I am!!!

#12 Valken

Valken

FEVER TIME!

• 3,037 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:28 AM

I had to rebuy this game for the 360, which I did at a reasonable preowned price because a combo of drivers, the game and fuck know what else made PC Darksiders randomly bluescreen my desktop. Hmph!

I'm almost back to where I was before. I'm not looking forward to the stupid spider boss tbh, simply because I found her, not Tiamat to be the toughest boss. Why? Because it's just such a slog that it's hard to not lose patience and die. STUPID! After than, I have some trite Portal style puzzles to do! Woo!

I still really love the game though.

#13 Valken

Valken

FEVER TIME!

• 3,037 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:47 AM

Hmmm, finished this. Obvious Darksiders 2 to follow!

The final boss was pretty dumb compared to the other bosses in the game. Simple dodging and parrying was all that was needed.

I never ever want to see that dungeon with the portals EVER AGAIN.

#14 Moodmon

Moodmon
  • Founding Member
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:27 PM

I have just started playing this, on PC. As Valk says, 360 pad support is fine, so straight in there. Only to find horrid screen tearing and cutscenes out of sync. No problem, turn on vsync. No luck. Have a look on internet and it turns out you have to restart for the game to enable the option. Thanks for telling me game!

Now that problem is sorted I'm still on the GoW bit, not got to the dungeon yet. Combat is okay (if a little tough at the mo, finding dodges hard to time) but saving anywhere is a really good idea. Plus I found out grabbing the small enemies gives you both an insta-kill and some health back.

Only a little into it, but enjoying it so far.

#15 Singho

Singho

U CAN'T SEE MEEE!

• Admin
  • 11,144 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:08 PM

VALKSIDERS!

Decided to go back to this last weekend and finish it off as Darksiders II looked quite good.

QUOTE(Valken @ Oct 1 2010, 09:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Got to Tiamat last night and made a few attempts. She's quite a tough boss, although perhaps for the wrong reasons...

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Anyway, still loving it, more so now that I'm in the game proper!

Glad I wasn't the only person that got stuck on this! This boss made me stop playing in the first place. laugh.gif It's not that it was hard, it was just that I had only half an energy bar left to tackle the boss with. One hit would be the end of me. After much faffing about and relearning the entire move set and controls, which wasn't such a pain in the arse thanks to the menu description, Tiamat was DEAD.

It's quite good fun. The dungeons have been pretty fun and I love all the Zelda-ish style puzzling. There are quite a few frustrating moments through some of the dungeons, mainly to do with finding your way to the next area. The map could be more clearer with regards to which areas have been explored and which have not. Had an awfully long trudge through the same area looking for an exit not visible on the map.

Combat wise it's more deeper then a game like Zelda in it's standard strikes and then it adds a grab and some air combos to everything. Nice bit of variation to be had with the boomerang, pistol, hookshot and scythe and gauntlet. I've managed to brute force my way through most fights though and when in trouble, I unleash the special attack. Finding it difficult to rely on the block\counter for any regular degree of success though.

Story is cool enough and it has a few characters. Bosses so far have been disappointing though. The main character too...War. He's just TOO MUCH character design wise. laugh.gif

He's got a cape, a hood, shocking white eyes and long bangs, big ass skull sword, gauntlets, shoulder pads, knee pads, big ass boots and to top it off...he's built like a brick shit house! I know it's War...but God damn, he's already pimped out from the off without any of the upgrades or additional equipment. laugh.gif

Don't think I've got long to go. Just beat some spider boss and I'm on my way back to the central hub area for what looks like the final dungeon.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PS3, 360, PC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users