47 replies to this topic

#1 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

Just as you suspected, everything I have told you is gibberish

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:49 PM

The was about the only thing I saw coming out of the E3 footage that made me go "SHIT yes!":

It's out now on the PS3, downloadable from PSN.

It's basically a Streets of Rage type of thing - scrolling beat 'em up with special moves and fairly limited gameplay. The main difference - whether it's a concession to current gaming trends or a genuine advance for the genre, I'm not sure, because I've just played the demo - is that you level up your character as you go, opening nw moves in the process. This appears to be persistent, too, judging from the menus - there's an option named "view characters", which shows each character's current level, so I presume this means that you can die and start the game over, powered-up already.

No training section, you're just thrown straight in. I was near the end of my last life before I discovered special moves on the triggers. The basic controls are one button for punch, one for kick, one for block and one for jump (the configuration of which may be different for me than you, due to my PS3 being Japanese). Scott - the only character I've tried (and possibly the only one playable in the demo) - has one special move that's a roundhouse and another that's... well, I don't understand what's going on with the other one.

Like I say, increasing in level opens up new moves. Level 2 gives you two dash attacks, level 3 gives two reverse attacks. I also accessed a parry - hit block just as you're being attacked - but I don't think that was through leveling up. I'm not sure.

It's fun! Scott moves maybe a little too slowly, although this is sorted with a quick dash. He gets some kind of special power-up mode every now and again, where he moves faster and has no recovery time after attacks (a bit like SFAII's custom combos) but I don't know what causes that to happen.

Environmental objects can be picked up and used as weapons. Enemies drop coins when beaten, which can be used to buy stuff from shops.

It's very pleasing to see Paul Robertson's pixel graphics given their own game and it's even better to be able to say that they work well within the confines of a game. Lots of colour, great animation, bags of charm.

I'm trying to stop myself from buying too many games for the second half of the year, but there's a good chance that I'll have caved in on this one by the end of the day. It's certainly a hell of a lot more fun than Castle Crashers.

#2 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:53 PM

Oh, I meant to add that the levels are really long - the first one is, anyway, so I presume the others are - and that it doesn't have online co-op sad.gif

#3 Jakeway

Jakeway

Gentleman First

• 6,460 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:58 PM

I think this games looks fun although I can say I am keen on the art, never read the comics but I know the film is out soon. Reminds me of VJoe.

This hits Xbox on the 27th and I my worried its will cost a cash in bomb of 1200. Ifs it like 400points I'll buy it, its its 800 I'll think about it otherwise I'll wait.

#4 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:03 PM

It's 7.99 on PSN, Jake. There's no way it's going to be 400 points - quite apart from the fact that 1,200 appears to be the new standard price on XBLA, it's worth far more than three quid.

#5 Jakeway

Jakeway

Gentleman First

• 6,460 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:13 PM

Well although it looks fun I cant see myself playing it after 5 days, as with most of the XBLA games.

Also most of the games Ive bought have been on offer for 50% at least twice... I was pretty pissed off when Arfer Burner was 50% about a month after it came out.
With this game I can see it being on offer many times... like when its on DVD or Zune. But then saying that no doubt the film or draw of 4player co-op will get me to buy it.

#6 Siri

Siri
  • Founding Member
  • 3,734 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:38 PM

Will be back on the 26th to post my own experiences with the full game - simply because I've got a shit-ton of controllers on the 360 compared to one Sixaxis pad, and this is one game I'm playing local co-op with on that weekend, for sure.

Seeing the film next week should also help me catch up on the plot outside of Wikipedia before the XBLA release, too! UNGGGHARGH.gif

#7 hankwang

hankwang

please stop typing William

• Founding Member
  • 8,666 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:42 PM

It's 1200 points Jake.

#8 Remymaru

Remymaru
  • 427 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:54 PM

He's blatantly doing a Seichusen Godanzuki in that trailer at a few points. Wants.

#9 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:20 PM

Well, I nearly lasted until the end of the day without buying it.

It's great stuff. Playing the first level again, up until and including the first boss, was loads more fun having already experienced it once. Although I forgot about the trigger moves again until just before the boss. The left trigger - the second move that I couldn't figure out before - is a striker attack, although I've yet to get it to hit.

Shops are more varied than I first thought - I missed a bunch of them in the shopping district while playing the demo. The things they sell have benefical effects beyond just refilling your health bar, but you don't know what until you've bought them. The video rental store requires you to pay off Scott's late return fine, which is $500 - way, way above what you'll have when you first come across it, but I'm sure there's something decent there once you do. Oh, and I found a hidden shop in the first level, too.

The world map is a take on Super Mario World's! Including green warp pipes! Once you've completed a level, it looks like you can return to it.

Other little things that I either forgot to mention before or didn't notice:

You can juggle enemies.

You can pick up downed enemies and use them as weapons biggrin.gif You can also pick them up, throw them for damage, then pick them up again and repeat, although this is only a worthwhile tactic when there's just the one of them left on the screen.

The parry *is* a level-up unlock. I must just not have noticed that I'd leveled before.

Weapons do damage on the rebound, so you need to be careful around the screen edges. The final hit on the first boss came in the form of a chinny rebound, actually - he knocked me down, I bumped into a stool, the stool bounced across the screen and hit him in the face laugh.gif

There are two ???? slots on the character stats screen, suggesting two unlocks. I hope they're unlocks, anyway, and not DLC.

Presentation is absolutely wonderful throughout.

For some reason, my busted television isn't busted when playing this wacko.gif

I'm sure there are other things I've forgotten again. One word of warning about the demo, when it finally comes to XBLA: the game starts slowly. When you begin playing, Scott's moves seem far too limited. Personally, I think having the back attack be an unlock is possibly a mistake, as you get ganged up on almost from the beginning. Mind you, I suppose that makes it feel all the more empowering when you do unlock it, and it's not like it takes very long to do so - about ten minutes, I'd guess.

It's a massive shame that there's no online co-op in this. Especially given that there are co-op attacks and revives.

#10 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 14 August 2010 - 03:11 PM

Played it some more. One other thing to point out: it's worth reading the 'How to Play' screens in this (unlike most other downloadable games I've come across) as they explain some of the less obvious aspects of the gameplay.

They also mention other multiplayer-only abilities. Like if you die, you appear on the screen as a ghost and can steal one of the other players' lives. Cheese!

As I'd been playing, I was wondering why Scott's stats never seemed to rise.
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

You get some really useful new moves as you level up, too -
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Also, you can catch items that are thrown at you with a jab of the circle/block button. Only just found that out - should come in very handy.

#11 hankwang

hankwang

please stop typing William

• Founding Member
  • 8,666 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 11:53 AM

You're making this sound very tasty Randy. In light of how RUBBISH Ubi's Turtles in Time remake was, this is very good news.

#12 Seph

Seph

Contains Full Frontal Nerdity

• 2,255 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 12:10 PM

Being a fan of the books, and hugely looking forward to the film, I really wanted to enjoy this. It looks great and it sounds great. But there's one problem.

After playing the demo, I have come to the conclusion that it's just too hard. Losing all three lives before the end of the level does not sit well with me.

I don't think I'll be buying the full game, which is a shame really.

#13 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 15 August 2010 - 02:28 PM

I think you'll probably find that it's just a matter of opening up some new moves - you should be able to get up to level 3 by the time you meet the first boss, but failing that you can jump out of the stage and re-enter it with all your gained EXP intact, if you're not managing that.

Also, the hint in spoilers above about money and what to spend it on will make life a hell of a lot easier for you - after I'd bought one item, I was taking regular grunts down with just two or three strikes.

In fact, buying items possibly makes the game a bit too easy - I was able to get all the way through stage 3 on my first attempt with a single life last night. The stage 3 boss, otoh, was a different matter.

Oh, and don't spam the special move or the striker. The Guts meter - the one under your health bar that has a little flame icon next to it - doesn't just power special moves, it's also the deciding factor in whether you get a second (or third, or even fourth) chance after all your health has gone, without having to use up one of your lives in the process.

#14 Remymaru

Remymaru
  • 427 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:25 PM

I read the first chapter of the book before buying this. Main character seems like a bit of a prick. Anyway, onto the game.

It's quite funny with it's pop-culture references. No invincibilty after a knockdown and not being allowed to 'mash out' your special attack during hit-stun is a bit crap. It has some fighting game conventions in there, like crossups and juggles, but never feels as meaty as something like Final Fight or Streets of Rage 2.

I think they should have just made it even simpler. Get rid of the Guts meter and have specials sap your health. Get rid of the stat increasing stuff, and replace it with proper Power-Ups. And, when you buy a t-shirt, have it visible on your character - I hate it when games let you buy stuff and then you don't ever see it. That's what annoyed me about The World Ends With You on the DS.

The lack of online is criminal.

#15 Electric Boogaloo

Electric Boogaloo

Uncle Benon

• Founding Member
  • 5,277 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 11:25 PM

Got this today - quick impressions - it's amazing! Really enjoying it so far. You level up quickly enough, and you will get completely panned on your first go, but you build up your stats relatively quickly.

It's all about using the environment to your benefit though. You can kick objects into people and juggle them for quite some time against the side of the screen. When it works it's satisfying, but you do get screwed yourself quite often.

Also Randy, did you notice if you parry an attack from a weapon then you receive the weapon? It's a neat touch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users