• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Y S

Y S
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 11:59 AM

http://psp.ign.com/a...7/637073p1.html

PSP 2.00 Released In Japan

July 26, 2005 - As scheduled (if a little later than expected), the PSP 2.00 Update was released by Sony Computer Entertainment today in Japan. A free update for the PSP, is the first major revision for the PSP's operating system, including a new in-system internet browser, new functionality, new media format support, and much more.

Although the American release of the update has not been announced yet (you can follow events in America at the PlayStation.com PSP Update Site), the update will work with US and Canadian PSPs.

We've updated our PSPs to check out how much this new feature set helps the PSP. Here is the read-out of what the 2.00 Update lists as its additions to the PSP once you download and begin the update.

The following updates will be added:

Revisions to strengthen security were added.
An Internet browser was added.
Go To was added as a feature under [Video].
(This applies to UMD Video)
A-B Repeat was added as a feature under [Video].
(This applies to UMD Video and video data saved on Memory Stick.)
4:3 Screen Mode was added as a feature under [Video].
(This applies to video data saved on Memory Stick.)
Audio Options was added as a feature under [Video].
AVC was added as a codec that can be played under [Video].
Support for Memory Stick PRO Duo was added to [Music].
MP4 (AAC) and WAV (LPCM) were added as formats that can be played under [Music].
(This applies to music data saved on Memory Stick.)
Image transfer was added as a feature under [Photo].
Wallpaper was added as a feature under [Photo].
TIFF, PNG, GIF and BMP were added as image formats that can be displayed under [Photo].
Korean was added as an option to [System Language] under [Settings], [System Settings].
[Character Set] was added to [System Settings] under [Settings].
[Theme Settings] was added under [Settings].
WPA-PSK (TKIP) was added as a security method under [Network Settings].
Settings for Infrastructure Mode under [Network Settings] were revised to be easier to use.
Input modes were added to the on-screen keyboard.
Previous Update: German, Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch, Portuguese and Russian were added as options to [System Language] under [Settings], [System Settings].
Previous Update: Support to retain the screen mode setting was added under [Video].
Previous Update: Support to allow resume play after recovery from sleep mode was added under [Video].
Previous Update: Support to allow resume play of audio tracks after recovery from sleep mode was added under [Music].
Previous Update: UMD Music can now be played under [Music].

Although you may want to wait until SCE releases the update on the North American PSP site, IGN has the all-region-compatible update for download below. To install it, you will need a USB cable to connect to your PSP, as well as enough knowledge of how the PSP's directories are set up to do the job (if you have put MP3s or videos on your PSP, you should be fine.) Download the file below, then unzip it and transfer the file to the GAME directory, with the EBOOT file in the UPDATE folder. When you're finished, your windows on your PC (assuming you're using Windows ME or XP, Mac users will be a little different but also should know how to use folders by now) should look like this:

F:\PSP\GAME\UPDATE\EBOOT.PBP

We'll be playing with the new system and providing hands-on updates as soon as possible. Until then, if you're ready for the update, pick up the file below and enjoy

USE THE LINK AT TOP FOR DOWNLOAD

Edited by Y S, 27 July 2005 - 12:01 PM.

#2 Snackbar Bobo

Snackbar Bobo
  • 247 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 12:13 PM

Excellent. I now have an explicit flap-shot for a bkg.

#3 Lyrical Donut

Lyrical Donut
  • 917 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 12:23 PM

Update, schmupdate. Unless a truly amazing game comes along that absolutely requires firmware higher than 1.5, I aint goin' nowhere :)

#4 Zedders

Zedders
  • 249 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 12:56 PM

Well theres a software browser out anyway and with software like pspvideo9 it makes for a pretty pointless update, unless for some mad reason you dont like all the homebrew apps.

#5 Snackbar Bobo

Snackbar Bobo
  • 247 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 01:34 PM

i.m Doing this onthe PsP. Dead mint, :D :P :blink:

Attached Files

#6 Pacman

Pacman

im in ur bus guidin ur passengers

• 5,717 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 03:55 PM

I'm just waiting for someone to release a homebrew video player for DivX, OGM etc. Thanks to the firmware update bypasser app, games can't force you into upgrading. Which is nice.

#7 bowser123

bowser123

Habadoodee! With a Reep-a-nazza.

• Moderators
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 05:19 PM

Nice? It's more than nice Pac, it's fucking ace news. Didn't even know the app was out. Just in time for just about the only PSP game I want too, Death Jr. Personally there's no way I'm upgrading to 2.0, no matter what they chuck in. Playing Full Throttle via SCUMM on PSP, it's so much better than the native PSP games :)

#8 Pacman

Pacman

• 5,717 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 09:50 PM

Too bloody right Bowser, I'm enjoying Beneath A Steel Sky all over again. It really is the win. Yeah that little bypasser app is awesome, you just stick your UMD in, run the app, it searches for the BOOT.bin file that forces the update upon you and then ignores it and just boots the game instead. Dead good.

#9 Snackbar Bobo

Snackbar Bobo
  • 247 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 12:36 AM

Bugger. I'd never updated with a firmware before today. Please don't tell me I could have been playing 'The Dig' right now?

#10 Pacman

Pacman

• 5,717 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 01:37 AM

Well we did warn you Dave >_<;;;. Version 1.00 (which I'm still using and presumably you had, since I seem to remember you had a JPN PSP) was actually the easiest version to crack to run homebrew apps. Not to rub salt in the wound or anything.

#11 TheShend

TheShend

You know it is, it really is!

• Founding Member
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 07:42 AM

Posted Image

#12 Y S

Y S
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 08:08 AM

http://psp.ign.com/a...7/637308p1.html

IGN have a hands-on with the web browser.

#13 Snackbar Bobo

Snackbar Bobo
  • 247 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 10:55 AM

Well we did warn you Dave >_<;;;.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know - The thought of having some tits as a bkg wiped everything from memory though.

The browser's not that bad once you get used to. You can have 3 windows open at once which you shift left and right.

Once you have your email and favourites stored I can see it making a rather nice convienience if I'm ever stupid enough to walk into a McDonalds or set foot on a Virgin train, or if all my PCs here at work blow up all at once.

Still, I'd rather be playing The Dig. :(

Edited by Dave Fallows, 28 July 2005 - 10:57 AM.

#14 bowser123

bowser123

Habadoodee! With a Reep-a-nazza.

• Moderators
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 10:58 AM

Bugger.
Please don't tell me I could have been playing 'The Dig' right now?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Afraid so Dave. It works damn well too, plus I love the fact I can use the save on my Mac or PSP, meaning I continue my file at home or at work. I'm sure they're working on a 2.0 hack though, there's simply too m uch stuff in there that's interesting.

#15 Ginz

Ginz

Sex Wii

• Donator
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 11:09 AM

and there's no turning back either so I think I'll stick with the firmware I've got. The US one not like you 1337 Jap PSP's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users