The Mega Man Megathread

• Please log in to reply
208 replies to this topic

#181 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 26 August 2015 - 12:59 AM

Ok, its somewhat hilarious that 6 of my most played games could get me addicted all over again but that's Megaman for you...

The port isn't perfect. I've had one major issue and one minor one. The major issue was a bizarre music bug when beginning Megaman 2 for the first time. The music was badly distorted and also affected the password menu music. Then it cleared up and I've never managed to replicate the bug again since...

The minor issue is slight music "popping" when on certain stages, not sure if the original games were like that or not, its mainly an issue with Megaman 1, and the get weapon theme on MM2. Not a huge annoyance but its there. Other small issues include no instant restart button on the challenge completion menu, and no actual gold metal time displayed on challenges which is annoying (I always like to know what I'm aiming for).

But enough about the minor bad issues...

The games are essentially exactly the same as the NES games. They look and run as expected and the controls on the PS4 are rock solid, an absolute must when you consider the precision required in these games.

There is a few graphics options, I've opted not to stretch the games out as that never ends well, I could swear the colours are oh so slightly off but I can't put my finger on why I think that... Maybe its the years of playing them on a composite output that has caused that...

The games give you a save state system in liu of saving at the end of stages etc. Quite useful really especially when attempting to do those hard sections (Heat Man platforms, Guts Man Platforms...). Otherwise the games are pretty much on par feature wise with the NES originals. No remixed music in game, no new graphics or anything. These are almost perfect NES ports.

There is a whole encyclopedia section I've not looked into yet. It sounds similar to the Complete Works books released so thats good, as those were choc full of great concept art etc.

But there are two things that have made the purchase worthwhile for me - Challenge mode and the share button.

First the challenge mode - bits of levels are mashed up and strung together. It sounded so simple but getting gold times is more challenging than first thought as it requires you to use all weapons at your disposal to get the best times. And its damn fun to try. Challenges range from game themed (MM1 themed, MM2 themed) to bosses (Yellow Devil, Mecha Dragon) to other (Craigs Challenge) and of course boss rush modes. You'll need to know the levels like the back of your hand, and what weapons work best in different scenarios to come out on top.

The share button, something I've seldom used on the PS4 despite it being a pretty great idea. But I was just waiting for the right game. I'm going through recording the challenge mode, uploading my gold metal performances to Youtube along with some buster only runs. So far my favourites are:

Craigs Challenge:

MM2 Remix 1:

Quickman buster only:

Iceman buster only:

The last one is my personal favourite, getting a good run on Iceman, perfecting the boss no less is no easy feat. I'll hopefully have more uploaded in the days to come.

#182 qazimod

qazimod

• Founding Member
  • 2,458 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:59 PM

I also took the plunge with this the other day. I'm not nearly as knowledgeable with MM stuff but I played enough then and now to appreciate the series. I played through MM2 yesterday as I'm most familiar with that one and earlier today I finished off MM1. These two are also the games I played the most before (MM2 is a favourite of mine and I played MM1 on Powered Up quite a bit), so the others will be a bit less familiar to me. I feel a bit guilty saying this but save states are a godsend, and allow you to continually progress at a fair pace. In a game where instant deaths are never too far away it's a good safety net... however, I did kind of fuck myself over in MM1 when I made it to Wily's Castle without picking up the Magnet Beam some five stages earlier  :singho:

The display options are nice enough and there are some pretty borders you can toggle if you like, but I'm enjoying the game itself the most when it's in unfiltered pixel glory - it's so sharp and colourful on today's TVs and a much easier solution than messing with emulators and video cables. I've also enjoyed sharing images with the PS4's functionality, and the trophy screenshots are as welcome as ever. I haven't really looked at the challenges yet though, as I want to try and clear the six games first. As someone who dabbles with older games but doesn't always stick around to the end, I'd like to try and get trophies for completion of all six games, so...er, yeah, we'll see how that works out  :lol:

#183 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 27 August 2015 - 01:46 AM

Glad your enjoying it qazimod. I've cleared the first game, mainly been focusing on the challenges though. Only issue I've seen is that sometimes when booting games the sound is messed up for a few seconds. That quickly passes though, but restarting the game fixes the issue as well. Otherwise it seems pretty much perfect. I'm glad that they didn't put a smudge filter in the game, they look great.

Challenges are really great, I've managed to clear the first 10 with gold metal ratings. While they are straight forward in design (bite size chunks of levels) the focus on speed is interesting, as I'm tackling areas in ways differently than I'm used to. I've been recording my runs as well, eventually I hope to have a Youtube guide page for all the challenges.

#184 qazimod

qazimod

• Founding Member
  • 2,458 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 29 August 2015 - 12:22 PM

Up to 4 now. I also recorded this yesterday; thanks boss AI  :P

#185 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:24 PM

Good old Toad Man, terrible character, awesome dance! I've only played through Megaman 1 on the collection (twice). I really need to stop playing the challenges for a second and get back to the main game. I've cleared 30 odd challenges now with gold ranks, its getting both harder and easier at the same time, I did realise earlier doing the MM4 boss rush challenge that they aren't any fun to speed run! The bite size challenges though are brilliant fun, I can't get enough of them, I can see me redoing previous challenges for better times just for the heck of it. If nothing else I should be able to 100% the game unless the late challenges are just insane.

#186 qazimod

qazimod

• Founding Member
  • 2,458 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 30 August 2015 - 03:46 PM

1-5 complete now. 5 was one I'm more familiar with - well, compared to 4 anyway - so it wasn't too bad and over relatively quickly, but I forgot how much still needs to be done after the initial eight stages! In the first MM game you just had to worry about the one fortress but with later games there seems to be this trend of having a "but this is the REAL fortress ahahaha" twist that leads to a bit of a marathon before the credits. It's still great, of course, although there were times in MM5 where I just wanted to keep respawning enemies to farm drops for later - I don't know if that's better or worse than save-stating to victory! :D

Special mention to the Protoman fortress theme too - it's not quite the classic that MM2 Wily 1 is, but it's pretty catchy nevertheless:

6, like 4, is one of the NES games that I'm less familiar with, so that should be interesting - I'll get started on that next...

Edited by qazimod, 30 August 2015 - 04:59 PM.

#187 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 30 August 2015 - 07:01 PM

I'm a big fan of 5's soundtrack in general. Lots of quality tunes there :)

I've just finished Megaman 2, challenge mode keeps drawing me back in. I spent ages trying to perfect my run on MM5 Remix 2 this afternoon, and it ended up going better than I'd planned:

11057820_504245399732754_119566754141743

My PSN tag is Gouki16. I was just aiming at doing the stage well, not ending up #2 on the leaderboard! Love this game!

#188 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:47 AM

Finished all the challenges with a gold metal. I thought it'd be harder than it ended up being, once I got into the mindset of how the developers wanted you to play the challenges I quickly got used to identifying how to clear areas quickly, and leaderboard replays helped a lot as well. 

53/54 challenges have been recorded here: https://www.youtube....QOKwTzmqrxxx8bw

The last challenge (beat all bosses with default weapon) is too long to record, it took me 36 minutes all told, I could improve, but I can't be bothered to spend that much time trying again and again for a better time! The challenges have helped me improve my game against many bosses though which has been dead handy.

Now I just need to finish 3-6 for the last couple of trophies I'm short.

#189 qazimod

qazimod

• Founding Member
  • 2,458 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 05 September 2015 - 11:17 AM

Nice. :D I've still barely touched challenges myself - too distracted by other bits :(

In other news, it's being reported that there's a live action Mega Man movie in the works - hopefully it'll be better than Bob Hoskins and Dennis Hopper's Mario flick :P

Edited by qazimod, 05 September 2015 - 11:18 AM.

#190 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 05 September 2015 - 01:02 PM

I think its a mistake too do a Megaman movie by anyone other than DIsney Pixar... I think they could pull it off. A live action movie would be terrible. I already have a bad feeling about the animated series coming, and the archie comic is "on hiatus" which is a pity as its the one decent piece of Mega Man merch that has actually been consistently excellent for the last few years.

#191 qazimod

qazimod

• Founding Member
  • 2,458 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 15 March 2016 - 07:13 PM

Legacy Collection has been updated, apparently :)

An update is out now for MMLC on PS4/XB1/PC. The update fixes a PS4 audio bug and adds new content: Rockman (Japan) versions of 1-6!

Source: @Megaman twitter

#192 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 08 April 2016 - 11:42 AM

Its great on PS4 now. 3DS has weird issues with Mega Man 5 though - you need to switch it over to Rockman 5 else the game runs at half the frame rate (and it feels awful at 30FPS). 

I have a strange bug with my Xbox One version though, the menu is broken, I can't see what I'ms selecting so I have to essentially guess which option I've selected and hope its the right one. Its only for the main menu for the collection, all in game menu's work perfectly fine. My advice is to get the PS4 version now.

#193 Adrock

Adrock
  • Admin
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 12:30 PM

Did you buy all 3 versions? Physical or digital?

#194 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 09 April 2016 - 09:08 PM

Did you buy all 3 versions? Physical or digital?

Yep, got all physical editions released bar the Amazon Exclusive release as that was just something Amazon threw together, as opposed to being a proper retail release:

photo202201_zps6gvifru6.jpg

PS4 and Xbox One editions (also pictured is a rare, small print run of a fan made 2D Mega Man Legends 3 Prologue demo that Capcom staffers helped with. Apparently it only had 100 copies made, not sure if that's true or not).

photo202_zpsizvnlvd8.jpg

Both 3DS editions - Rockman Legacy Collection E Capcom exclusive that comes with Dr Wiy's diary (that has actual journal entries in it from the good doctor) as well as stickers and 6 alternate sleeves for the game (each sleeve features the original Famicom cover art from each of the 6 games on the collection.

The USA exclusive edition comes in one of the cheapest damn boxes I've ever seen, good luck getting one that isn't dented... It comes with a Gold Amiibo Mega Man (that unlocks 3DS exclusive challenges) and a few postcards featuring the characters in the 6 games (art on the post cards are really nice).

Edited by shadowman, 09 April 2016 - 09:09 PM.

#195 MrToad

MrToad

Barcode Battler

• 1,597 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:14 AM

Ports of Mega Man 1-6 have been released on iOS and Android.  Apparently they're rubbish. :(

Edited by MrToad, 06 January 2017 - 08:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users