208 replies to this topic

#166 qazimod

qazimod

• Founding Member
  • 2,458 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:34 PM

l1tJ5Ho.jpg

Megaman tee ftw! I don't actually buy that many gaming tees myself but I've received a few as gifts in the past. I was supposed to be getting another tee from someone as a Christmas gift but the supplier kind of messed up the order :( so I was asked if there was anything I liked the look of online, so earlier this week I ordered the above, which arrived this afternoon. :P

#167 qazimod

qazimod

• Founding Member
  • 2,458 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:40 PM

So I went back to ZSnes the other day to mess with sound channels on the Mega Man X games and get a software capture of some of those sweet basslines... :D

...but then I went on Youtube later and found that they're already there anyway :(

#168 qazimod

qazimod

• Founding Member
  • 2,458 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:13 PM

Don't know if anyone's been watching Summer Games Done Quick but there are some amazing speedruns in there. They're a bit hard to find in the Twitch archives but if you search YouTube for "SGDQ 2014 mega" you get some results. :) The races for the X games are particularly good:

#169 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:50 PM

I love watching speedruns of MM games. I could never do them unless I had to (see MM9's and 10's achievements) because I prefer taking it slower, fighting enemies and listening to the awesome music (plus finding secrets in X games).

Sorta on the same topic, there is a Steam game well worth getting if you like Megaman and/or speed runs. Its called "Cloudbuilt" and its an insanely fast paced, 3D platforming game. Its not perfect controls wise or camera but its bloody good all the same, and its incredibly precise in regards to the platforming which is impressive when you consider the speed the game runs at. Its the closest thing I've played that compares to a MM game, just without the great enemies or bosses.

#170 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:42 PM

So there is a new Megaman game out there. Don't get too excited though, its only available in South Korea and is an endless runner:

http://www.rockman-c...obile-game.html

It reuses Megaman Powered Up assets and pretty much shows exactly what I hate about some mobile games - that is just making them bland endless runners with hooks to unlock more shit, getting people to return to the game day after day... Its a pity that its come down to this, I truely wonder if a real Megaman sequel will ever be released or if the series is doomed...

In more up beat news, Mighty Number 9 (the spiritual sequel made by Megaman staff) should be out in April (just in time to pull me away from Yakuza 0). Graphically I'm a tad disappointed as it doesn't look all that amazing (Neogaf is pretty toxic at the moment, whining about the graphics) but if the beta is anything to go by its going to be addictive as crack. I spent stupid hours trying to perfect one stage, I've no idea how long I'll be spending on the main game. Ultimately it'll be the same as the old NES MM games, the games won't be top tier graphically but the gameplay will most likely be amazing and that's all I need.

#171 plopboy

plopboy

I'm from the, uh, Confidential Committee on Moral Abuses

• Admin
  • 3,497 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 10 February 2015 - 01:25 PM

Not a game but a medley of Mega Man tunes with cat

#172 bowser123

bowser123

Habadoodee! With a Reep-a-nazza.

• Moderators
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 05:40 PM

Played and finished Mega Man 6 for the first ever time and it's possibly my favourite of the classic series. It's definitely the most accessible and friendly for newcomers. It's not easy with some challenge, but it's one that I didn't find brutally hard and miles more enjoyable for this.

Releasing late into the NES life (The SNES had launched on it's release) it's one of the most attractive NES games I've tried. Chunky, colourful sprites litter the game and everything is so clean and bold. I really like the art style and this extends to the variety in the enemies. It's seems to have an animal theme, robotic versions of seals, gulls, dinosaurs and pandas are my favourites. The mechanical vehicles are another favourite, gorilla tank and a flying submarine especially notable.

The game has a few features from other games (the charge beam and excellent slide), but introduces two new forms for Mega Man to take. Once you collect the upgrade he can attach a jetpack and temporarily float and a power variant that sees him able to destroy special blocks. These moves come in handy for uncovering the alternative routes, special sections that usually are slightly tricky to unlock but once done provide a shortcut with powerups.

The jetpack is a little over powered, some of the potentially trickier platform sections are completely avoidable if you use the move. Likewise some of the bosses are quite easy to learn their patterns and take them down with minimum fuss.

So probably not the best game for veterans, but as a relative newbie to actually trying to finish these games it's been the most enjoyable for me.

----------

Had the urge to try something different and the GBA Battle Network games look fun. Is one game any better as an introduction than the rest, or noticeably better than others? Or just try them in order? Fearful of series fatigue and quitting after 2 games and finding the 3rd or 4th is by far the best.

#173 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 19 February 2015 - 08:27 PM

Glad to hear you liked MM6, your review was interesting as I'd never got to play 6 on release as it was never released over here. I agree that the gameplay is really good on the game, the new Rush adapters are awesome, the game does look great for a NES game and its difficulty is pitched nicely. Unfortunately the bosses let it down for me a tad, as I'm not a fan of them as much as previous games. It also has Plant Man, the most rubbish boss battle in the entire series and the worst thing (apart from him being a copy/paste shield boss) is that Capcom fucking loved him. He's always used ahead of almost every other MM6 character in crossovers despite being the worst. At least Centaur Man got represented in Power Fighters.

Regarding the GBA games, I've not played all of them all the way through. My mini reviews of the series is:

BN1: Excellent story and characters, couple of annoying bits but its a very solid start.

BN2&3: Even better, better stories, characters, gameplay etc. 3 is absolutely my favourite of the ones I completed.

BN4: The worst of the bunch, I stopped playing it early on and its so damned slow, battles are too frequent and your so weak. Its supposed to get worse, as the dark chip stuff is supposed to break the game so I've been told. The kicker is that its the best selling game in the entire MM series, and one of Capcoms best selling games!

BN5: An epic return to form, I've not finished it (yet) but its so much better. The new team battle system is insanely addictive and the story is decent at very least.

BN6: Not even started it yet!

Go with any of the first three, the first one introduces the characters but its not exactly a complicated story. Though 1 ties directly into 3 so it'd be a shame to play the third before the first.

Also, if you've not already done so get the Megaman Zero collection on the DS. Best MM games that aren't the originals or early X games for sure.

#174 bowser123

bowser123

Habadoodee! With a Reep-a-nazza.

• Moderators
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:54 AM

Really enjoying Battle Network. On your advice I started at the beginning, got my head around the battle system.

Initially I was a bit worried about using up cards so relied on the normal blaster, than a NPC told me that cards aren't expended upon use so I experimented using them and finishing the fights quicker. This meant a better rank and more money. Currently experimenting with trying to sort clumps of cards in the same alphabet category, the game has also spoke about rare cards that appear when you use multiples. I've tried preparing 4 or 5 of the same card with no effect, so I'm thinking it meant one of each rank.

It doesn't really seem like a Mega Man game, more a RPG with a MM skin, but it's a fun game. Actually the whole theme I don't really get. Jacking into a computer or TV or oven!!?? to control an avatar that's real is a bit odd. It's like it's missing the bit where Mega Man went from fighting robots controlled by a nefarious inventor to now being inside the internet.

Messing about in the waterworks, the puzzles have got a bit harder and more involved. I liked the stage before where your actions outside the computer directly effected the Mega Man world inside the computer. I think the idea and way it was handled was better than the fairly simple puzzles involved, but it was an interesting touch. I've only died a few times, all on normal foes, but with the ability to save anywhere it never means lost progress. With the bosses being visible before you fight them I certainly don't have the fear of being killed and having to redo large sections, which was a common issue for me in standard MM games.

Still, I'm enjoying the story that is getting more outlandish and the gently ramping difficulty has made a pleasant experience. In a way I'm a bit disappointed I didn't buy the original games first time around. I just remember working in GAME when they came out and it seemed to be one every 6 months, with colour variants, and seemed a total cash grab. I knew nothing about them and just wrote it off as trash. How wrong was I!

----------------

I've started the Zero collection on DS, but stopped quickly as I didn't know how to progress. I've read that playing them through back to back on the "easy" mode is game wrecking, as rather than alter actual difficulty it gives you all the power ups and health bar extensions from the start, rendering the game a total walk over. However I've also read the original games are punishingly tough, some of the hardest ever and requires grinding.

I'm thinking the best solution for me might to play the original GBA games but emulated, be it on Wii U or whatever. That way I get the original tough games but with the ability to save state to make it more manageable.

I've still yet to play ZX Advent which is a bit daft given I loved the original ZX Metroidvania game.

#175 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:48 PM

In the BN series you can create a "Program Advance" by having 3 of the same card in your deck (there is a trick to it). Unfortunately I'm worthless at remembering the exact combination so it'd be best to look that up. Make sure you hunt around the Internet as you can do boss re-fights and get boss chips which are usually powerful, really useful cards.

The Zero series gets better after the first one, as its more of a linear character select screen model from the previous games where as in the first game you have to speak to people and travel to specific locations to fight some of the bosses. Yeah, the easy modes basically make the games pushovers so I avoid them like the plague.

#176 qazimod

qazimod

• Founding Member
  • 2,458 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:20 PM

Mega Man "Legacy Collection" coming to home consoles and PC this summer (with a 3DS release in winter)

In  mere months you'll be able to play the original six Mega Man games in crisp 1080p and enhanced with modern bonuses. (...) In addition to the original six games, you also get challenges, a huge of-the-era museum packed with visual history and a helpful database that informs AND tests you on your Mega Man prowess.

Whilst I know there have been MM compilations in the past, I kind of like the idea of having the NES games available in one place on current-gen consoles. :) Might be something to keep an eye on.

Edited by qazimod, 08 June 2015 - 08:21 PM.

#177 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 11 June 2015 - 05:58 PM

The one thing that really gets me pumped for the collection is the challenge mode. I've played 5 of the 6 games back to front (not played MM6 as much admittedly) so the idea that there will be some new content/challenges is very appealing to me. Plus the game will have trophies, and I never shy away when it comes to 100%ing a Megaman game.

#178 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 19 August 2015 - 09:27 PM

So the Megaman Legacy Collection is due out next week on Xbox One, PS4 and PC (25th August) with the 3DS version due "later". Or you can just wait until next year and grab the retail version instead.

Trophy/achievement wise it looks straight forward - there are some trophies available for clearing each game, and then clearing challenge mode with bronze/silver/gold medals. Disappointing its not more diverse and also disappointing that its not got a Platinum trophy on the PS4. Still, I'll enjoy blasting through the game and will probably use the record feature to record some of my better runs on the game and upload them to Youtube for the heck of it.

#179 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:44 AM

I would be interested in seeing how well it is ported - Digital Eclipse have an awful reputation for good reason. I've followed Frank Cifaldi since the Red Eye days but the worry is they're just using him as a name to cover up another half-arsed port. David Sirlin ended up pretty disillusioned pretty quickly.

#180 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 25 August 2015 - 11:28 AM

I would be interested in seeing how well it is ported - Digital Eclipse have an awful reputation for good reason. I've followed Frank Cifaldi since the Red Eye days but the worry is they're just using him as a name to cover up another half-arsed port. David Sirlin ended up pretty disillusioned pretty quickly.

I've heard that the PS4/Xbox One versions are well done while the PC version has issues (including limited resolutions). I'll give the games a try tonight myself, I've played them so much that if there are any major issues I should be able to pick up on them quick. Plus I can use the PS4 share features to record my playthroughs which will be fun!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users