59 replies to this topic

#46 plopboy

plopboy

I'm from the, uh, Confidential Committee on Moral Abuses

• Admin
  • 3,497 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:59 PM

I wasn't planning on getting one but my wife surprised me, which was lovely, but the thing won't charge and won't display on the TV :( So I'm having to send it back and wait for more stock to come in.

#47 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

Just as you suspected, everything I have told you is gibberish

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:06 PM

That's crappy, plop.

The indie line-up is interesting, although a lot of it is available elsewhere. The exclusives are timed exclusives and Nintendo aren't even being honest about some of those - Gonner has been available on the PC for a couple of months already.

There are some odd choices in there. Binding of Isaac has to be a given on any new console release, really - it's almost a part of the furniture now - but the Afterbirth+ version, which this is, is potentially going to annoy a lot of people. AB+ seems to have divided the game's community on PC between those who hate it and consider it to have broken the core game, and those who just think it's a bit half-arsed. Nobody seems to particularly like it. From my point of view, I'm not massively fussed, although I've found that it makes an already difficult game, made more difficult by the non-plus original AB expansion, irritating. And you can't switch between the two versions, as far as I can tell, which is a more serious issue. But then, as far as I know, this is the first console to get AB+. I can just see an awful lot of people getting angry with it straight away.

That Pocket Rumble game owes a significant visual debt to the NGPC fighters that SNK put out. It looks identical, it moves identically. I love that style, but it's a very blatant copy and paste job. Be interesting to find out if it just plays like a ROMhack.

#48 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:25 PM

A couple of those complaints are understandable, but also probably not-system breaking. It's an LCD screen and, as far as I know, there's still a tolerance level for dead/stuck pixels, under which % manufacturers aren't obliged to provide a replacement. And the thing of the one guy's console not recognising his Zelda cart? I get that every now and again on my UK 3DS, it just seems to be a bit less happy about dust or fingerprints on the connectors than my US machine.

The rest of the problems are significantly more serious. I mean, this is Nintendo, the company that traditionally built its consoles for durability. Yes, it's had an issue with controller lifespans ever since the N64, but the consoles themselves have always been built to last and to live through any number of knocks. I know these are potentially isolated incidents that look worse than they are due to all being strung together, but then I still remember how the most visible fan-made video when the Cube came out was of those guys running it from a rope behind their truck and driving down the road, then getting it back home and the console, shell destroyed, still working fine.

#49 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:26 PM

I dunno about that stuff. That channel's all about putting as many negative things as possible in a row one after another; sometimes it's useful, sometimes less so. I certainly wouldn't buy an import one at the moment but otherwise I think there are parallels to be drawn with every model of 3DS and their self-marking/yellowing screens.

Funny mix of problems there. There are a few which are actual proper design faults - I don't like the Joycon straps at all. Even putting them on the correct way I had a lot of bother getting one off. The wireless chip really isn't great so far either, though it is functional for me. The dock/screen marking thing is I think typical Nintendo oversight by now given they didn't fix it across four models of 3DS; they clearly deem the bezel as fair game for scratch damage. I suspect there'll be some sort of recall programme for the Joycon connecting issue given the easy fix. Then again, I don't remember there being such a recall for the PS3 Sixaxis which had exactly the same problem. I remember getting that problem a lot in Ridge Racer 7 back in '06, sitting in a tiny Japanese apartment about 3 feet away from the system.

Some look like the occasional dead-out-of-box issue you get which should be caught by the factory. I'd definitely put plop's issue in there, and I hope he gets a replacement soon. Duff dock? Dodgy USB port perhaps. Are they having trouble with the box design and it's messing it up in transit? Problems applying thermal paste to the cooler? I wonder if they ended up getting caught short a bit when ramping up speed of production. Again though, I wonder how much of that perception is caused by the amplifying effect of streaming and the ease of posting videos online, even compared to late 2013.

As for my own experience after nearly a week, I don't feel as confident toting it around as, say, the Vita (which has the benefit of being one solid, thicker, continuous unit, as well as being able to fit into a jacket pocket so I don't have to immediately put it into a bag when I'm finished). But then again when I first got the PSP back in '04 with the disc drive, while I initially treated the thing super gently, after a little while I ended up just carrying it with me as normal and didn't have any bother. I suspect the Switch will be in the same area given that it's surprisingly high end portable tech. It even spools up that little high pitched fan just like a laptop when docked!

I did buy from Amazon though - in my experience they have good quality customer service. My first Vita had some dead pixels, and when I asked about the policy they just put the RMA through. Same with John Lewis, very accommodating when the product isn't up to snuff. Just like anything else which costs money, I would definitely say to make sure you buy from somewhere you trust. Failing that, wait for the inevitable redesign. I'd be all over a passively cooled version with better portability, and given the kind of hardware it is, that's not outside the realms of possibility at all. It'd be a bit sad if it still needed a fan in 2021.

#50 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 09 March 2017 - 06:27 PM

Blaster Master 0 is now up in Europe, picked it up this afternoon. Played the first two levels so far and am really enjoying it - the mix of side on exploration and top down Zelda style dungeons makes for a great gameplay mix and its a perfect handheld game (not even tried it on my TV yet, doubt I will as it just feels at hone on the handheld). Only issue for me is that its a bit on the easy side, I'd like to have more challenge in the game, I can already see me doing a second playthrough limiting my use of weapons in the dungeons.

Never played the original game so no idea how it compares, but for the price I'm very pleased with the game. 

#51 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 06:54 PM

Sounds good! I was tempted but on the Giant Bomb stream they said that it didn't support the Pro controller. Really don't like that idea.

I keep meaning to play Disgaea but Zelda takes up all my time!

#52 MrToad

MrToad

Barcode Battler

• 1,597 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 08:28 AM

According to Google, Blaster Master Zero will get a patch for Pro controller support on March 16th :)

Mmmmph... Switch is getting seriously tempting now...

#53 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:30 AM

Well, if you go for it, make sure you go somewhere which will do you right if something is wrong.

There are certainly more games that I'm interested in st this point than at the equivalent point for 3DS but more than anything Zelda is really excellent.

Edit: slightly related - I'm at work now but I'll be clock watching all day because there's a mountain I NEED to climb to the top of RIGHT NOW because there might be something on top of it.

Edited by uiruki, 10 March 2017 - 09:45 AM.

#54 MrToad

MrToad

Barcode Battler

• 1,597 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:45 AM

Edit: slightly related - I'm at work now but I'll be clock watching all day because there's a mountain I NEED to climb to the top of RIGHT NOW because there might be something on top of it.

Know the feeling all too well ! :lol: :lol:

Zelda is definitely one of the big draws for me. I've never properly played a Zelda game, and I'm feeling it could be about time this was rectified ;)

There's some other good stuff on the horizon too - Disgaea looks very tempting, Mario Kart at lunchtime with my workmates could be fun, and of course there's everyone's favourite plumber. Fire Emblem Heroes is giving me a taste for that franchise too, and the upcoming FE Warriors might be fun. (And yes, I know it's a Dynasty/Hyrule Warriors style button mashing affair rather than the tactical turn based strategy, but meh, still fun :) )

Edited by MrToad, 10 March 2017 - 11:45 AM.

#55 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:53 AM

If Hyrule Warriors is anything to go by the FE one will be excellent - HW is one of the best Musou games they've put out for a while.

Disgaea is a fine port but oddly there's a single frame skip every second or so.

#56 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:35 AM

Yeah, Hyrule Warriors is excellent, really tailored to the Zelda series well plus has that same addictive gameplay, looking forward to FE Musou. I kinda wish Hyrule Warriors gets a definitive edition for the Switch - 60FPS (or just a better frame rate) and all the DLC. Having that on the go would be great (and no I'm not getting a New 3DS just to play the 3DS port!). Then again I'm glued to Warriors Orochi 3 since the PS4 Pro boost mode was released so maybe I don't need another Musou game yet!

#57 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:12 PM

More on Fast Racing - apparently the resolution dips are actually caused by a firmware bug messing with their dynamic resolution system. Hopefully it gets fixed soon!

#58 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 11 March 2017 - 01:15 PM

More on Fast Racing - apparently the resolution dips are actually caused by a firmware bug messing with their dynamic resolution system. Hopefully it gets fixed soon!

Yeah, saw that post over on Neogaf via Digital Foundry. That actually explains the minor issues I've seen with the camera panning in the track intros sometimes looking low res. Pity they can't fix some of the annoying rubber banding on the AI!

#59 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:45 PM

Yeah, Hyrule Warriors is excellent, really tailored to the Zelda series well plus has that same addictive gameplay, looking forward to FE Musou. I kinda wish Hyrule Warriors gets a definitive edition for the Switch - 60FPS (or just a better frame rate) and all the DLC. Having that on the go would be great (and no I'm not getting a New 3DS just to play the 3DS port!). Then again I'm glued to Warriors Orochi 3 since the PS4 Pro boost mode was released so maybe I don't need another Musou game yet!

Hyrule Warriors Legends works fine on the regular 3DS, the only real difference is in the control scheme, which is perfectly usable right off the bat. It's also different from the Wii U version in some relatively significant ways, other than just the additional DLC - levels require you to switch characters pretty often, for example.

#60 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 31 May 2017 - 04:13 AM

So Street Fighter 2 is now on the Switch, and to my surprise it actually doesn't control badly! I'd have bet anything the controls would suck but after doing a few playthroughs I can combo just fine with most characters. Technically not worth the price at the moment, but I do love having the game on my Switch for portable fun.

Not as good as Mario Kart mind you, I skipped it on the Wii U but think its brilliant on the Switch. Well worth buying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users