Nintendo Switch

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#31 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:48 PM

I know I'll be getting it at some point so there's no huge point in holding on. I'd certainly be buying before a price cut so I might as well have it now! I'm no zelda fan but playing through Wind Waker has actually made me super interested in Breath of the Wild.

#32 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

Just as you suspected, everything I have told you is gibberish

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 24 February 2017 - 11:09 PM

The UK ad campaign has hit the telly and... it's weird. The ad that I've seen is like those old Wii ones, where a middle class family were playing Wii Sports or whatever, only the people shown playing the Switch are exclusively in their twenties and early thirties. The message is pretty clear: Nintendo want to drive the idea that this is a return to the social multiplayer and motion controls that made the Wii sell so well, but they know that the machine's priced *way* too high for it to appeal to the customer base that took a chance on the Wii.

Also, £75 for a second set of those little motion controllers? That's completely fucking insane. Yeah, I know that they've got all that tech inside them, but come on, Nintendo, accept the concept of hardware being a loss leader for once in your lives.

Went onto the Wii U store for the first time in a few weeks today and it's like Nintendo have suddenly remembered that it exists, which is really odd timing. Ogre Battle 64 and Harvest Moon 64 have suddenly become available on Virtual Console. I'm glad they're there, but it does give some very mixed messages. If I can't carry my downloaded titles across to the Switch - and I can't, Nintendo already confirmed that they want to milk their customers for every last penny by making downloadable titles non-transferable to other machines - then why would I buy them on Wii U now, of all times? I mean, I will buy them, but that's because I'm not buying a Switch.

I love Nintendo games, but the company have pissed me off more with their lack of effort with the Wii U than they did with their abandoning of their core audience on the Wii. I own fewer titles on the Wii U than I do on any other machine I own, bar the Virtual Boy, and the catalogue of downloadable games is an absolute joke.

#33 TheShend

TheShend

You know it is, it really is!

• Founding Member
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 07:06 PM

I'm reading from people who've received their Edge sub a little early that Zelda was given a 10.

For a brief second i thought of spunking out on a Switch and Zelda on the CC like I did all those years ago for an Xbox and Halo. But I won't. Stupid, Sensible adult brain.

#34 Electric Boogaloo

Electric Boogaloo

Uncle Benon

• Founding Member
  • 5,277 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:56 AM

I'm pretty excited for this. For some reason I completely missed out on owning a Wii and Wii U, and the thought of a new Zelda game excites me enough to want to get a new console just for that. I'm really not excited about Arms or anything - just a new Zelda and future Mario titles are enough to get me excited. Certainly more than what's on the other consoles right now.

I'll be in line on Thursday for the midnight launch!

Edited by Electric Boogaloo, 02 March 2017 - 06:56 AM.

#35 TheShend

TheShend

You know it is, it really is!

• Founding Member
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 09:51 AM

#36 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 02 March 2017 - 12:34 PM

Its funny, the nindies showcase made me more hyped for the Switch than its press event from last month. I guess that's a mix of bad games shown off in January and my tastes leaning ever closer to indie stuff these days. I definitely love the thought of getting many of these games on the Switch assuming they are better than Vita ports/Vita isn't getting the ports since I mainly prefer indies on handhelds. 

In related news, my Switch and Zelda have been dispatched, hopefully it'll arrive in a timely manor tomorrow, else I'll just continue focusing on Gravity Rush 2 instead (which is awesome btw, bar the stupid forced stealth shit).

#37 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 12:44 PM

Funnily enough, the word "nindies" makes me want to cancel my preorder more than any of the negative news I've seen.

#38 Adrock

Adrock
  • Admin
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:24 PM

I'm going to the Smyth's midnight launch. Gonna be brilliant fun.

I'm going to stay up all night playing and then go to work like a bloody zombie.

Lots of caffeine will be consumed through the course of the night and rest of the day.

#39 MrToad

MrToad

Barcode Battler

• 1,597 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 03:34 PM

I wasn't that tempted... until I read this (non-spoilery) review of Zelda... and now I wants one, my precious!

Love the concept of the system, it's a really smart idea.  Now if only the games weren't £60 each :o

#40 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 12:21 AM

Right, mine arrived today and I've spent most of the time playing Zelda. Quick thoughts:

Positive

The OS is really quick and responsive. Screenshots are instant! You can even hold the button to the exact moment and release to take them!

The hardware build quality is decent. It's not Apple level, but it's good enough.

It's much more comfortable than a Wii U Gamepad for extended use, even though the width is the same.

VIbration on a portable device is unusual and it's surprised me a few times.

Region lock is gone and setting up multiple users is easy - though you need to make sure that you have a Nintendo account housing your Nintendo Network account. I know.

The Pro controller is excellent. Nice grippy texture on the handles and I'm still a sucker for the 90s style smoky semi-translucent plastic.

USB-C throughout - a little bit of a pain now but it'll be worth it later.

The screen is great. Sharp, colourful, bright, fast. Basically the same as the Vita 2000 one except bigger, denser and brighter.

The speakers have a surprising amount of punch for the size of the device. The headphone jack puts out a decent amount of sound as well - the 3DS one was awful.

They've done a good job on the doc with guiding the system into the USB-C connector. It's mostly very smooth.

Going between TV and portable mode works amazingly well. It's clear that the device can tolerate higher temperatures when running in the dock - when I play Zelda a while and take it out, the fan instantly kick sup to max speed to try and make the device cooler. It works - during portable play the fan stays quiet (though never seems to turn off) and the system only gets a little warmer. Not bad for constant load - my iPad can get pretty toasty when playing a high load game.

Negative

No Bluetooth audio. Insane and makes portability more of a hassle.

Battery life, while technically impressive (3 hours for a device this size which uses enough power that it has to run the fan!) is still a little disappointing. That's Zelda though - I bet I'll end up playing plenty of stuff which doesn't push anywhere near as hard.

No hand strap hole on the device.

Vibration is still a bit weak and noisy, especially on the Pro controller. I haven't tried 1-2-Switch though.

My Visa card no longer works on the shop - though I can charge through my 3DS on the same account. I can even charge my Suica that resides on my Apple Watch and use that! Hopefully I'll be able to do that directly on the Switch soon.

The system's a bit bare bones - no Internet apps at all.

Wifi seems a bit weak - even in the same room as my router, it's only getting 2 pips out of 3 reception on my 5GHz network. Downloads were slow but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt as it was day 1.

Problems I've heard

Joycons have issues transmitting occasionally - apparently fixed in the day one 2.0.0 update.

Apparently the dock can scratch up the bezel part of the screen where it goes in. Not the kind of thing I mind that much, as long as it leaves the display part alone. I'm taking care to angle the screen away when inserting anyway, though.

The games I've played

Zelda - fantastic. If Horizon is about the story and the combat, this is about the world and the systems that govern it. Regularly makes me laugh and gasp in surprise.

Disgaea 5 - now quite 60fps but looks really nice on the portable screen.

Fast Racing - seems good but hurts my brain a bit with the colour changes. Also even after a short amount of time it's clear that Shin'en's "1080p" is just as fraudulent as their 640x720 "720p" blurfest on Wii U. Honestly, once you're up to speed, it's harder to notice, and you can turn off the chromatic aberration which makes things look a lot better.

Dragon Quest Heroes 2 (demo) - absolutely hobbles along. No idea why it runs this badly. The original game is good and I hear that the full version is actually fine but I can't recommend on this.

Puyopuyo Tetris (demo) - for all that it's a massive compromise to replace the dpad with buttons on the left Joycon, this game still feels fantastic. Sharp, responsive, highly recommended if you like puzzlers. Tempted to double dip myself.

Snipperclips (demo) - fun brainteaser. The expressions on the two characters and how they react to the action are priceless. The puzzles seem nicely varied - I'll likely pick this up.

Overall - a surprisingly solid launch. There are a few other titles I might just pick up. I know I want VOEZ, I'll likely pick up Snipperclips and there are a couple of Japanese indies that look fun. Hopefully they keep this up once the autumn rolls around.

#41 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 04 March 2017 - 02:23 AM

I'm really loving the quality of the hardware as well. Feels pretty weighty and expensive in appearance unlike the cheap and plastic feel the 3DS has for me. Like you say the OS is miles better than the Wii U (heck, I prefer it to the muddled mess that is the Xbox One) and is really fast. Sleep mode > gameplay is really quick as well just like my favourite handheld (the Vita).

In fact, the thing feels an awful lot like the Vita in a good way - quality handheld, promising lot of smaller indie titles and the potential for a lot of Japanese support. That and its something that I see me playing loads of in its handheld mode (just gotta find a damn case for it...)

Only thing I really have a hassle with is removing the Joycons from either side of the screen when I want to play on the TV. I don't want to leave a mark on the screen and the release buttons for the joycons is placed in such a way that I have a hard time removing them. Oh, and the + and - buttons are laughably small, a normal start and options/select/menu button would have been preferable. But those are minor complaints.

And special praise has to go to the account system. Beside the system itself being region free its so nice to have such an intuitive account system on the handheld to effortlessly switch shop regions to access everything. No longer will tons of content be blocked off to me. Also, as an aside point I like the news/what's new sections on the shop and Switch menu itself, it has useful info etc. and is laid out in an easy to read fashion. 

Wifi does suck though, barely get any download signal if I don't place the screen next to my wifi receiver. At least I have no immediate plans to play any online games on the system. 

Games wise I've only tried 3:

Puyo/Tetris - Same as the Vita version as far as I could tell. I mainly tried it just to see how well the Japanese and Euro downloads gelled on my main screen. Its great its getting a release outside of Japan this time and the game is as great as ever. Definitely one of my favourite puzzlers, even if half the Puyo cast makes me want to scream (still having flashbacks to my failed attempt at beating them all in Yakuza 6!)

Fast Racing RMX - It looked like F Zero and I had no other games bar Zelda so I gave this a shot. I'm enjoying it lots so far, but I'm glad I'm not the only one that felt it didn't look 1080p (I thought my TV settings were wrong at first). I think it actually looks better on the handheld, the smaller screen hides some of the blemishes. It does run fantastically though, super fast and super smooth. I'm really enjoying it.

Zelda - And here is where my entire playtime on the system will go until that mustached plumber pops up again. Its great, huge open world, plenty of fun stuff to do, great new touches to the combat, wonderful weather effects... I'm already hooked on it, which doesn't always happen with Zelda for me (I like the series, just not as much as many people seem to. I still think Zelda: Links Awakening is the best one).

#42 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:31 AM

Oh yeah, friend codes. Apparently mine is SW-0545-5135-1912.

#43 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 12:22 PM

After playing a full championship of Fast Racing in one go, I think I was probably a little harsh on it. It's very smooth and they've definitely spruced up the handling - it feels a lot less stiff than the Wii U version was like in my memory.

#44 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

Just as you suspected, everything I have told you is gibberish

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:47 PM

Apparently the dock can scratch up the bezel part of the screen where it goes in. Not the kind of thing I mind that much, as long as it leaves the display part alone. I'm taking care to angle the screen away when inserting anyway, though.

I was worried that this might end up being the case. The fact that Nintendo never bothered to address the way that the ridge along the lower screen on the 3DS could damage the upper screen demonstrates that they don't really get that hardware should be designed to avoid this sort of issue.

What kind of Switch presence are people seeing in the stores? We're only got a small Game store in town and nothing else (well, as CEX, but that doesn't count) and the Switch is barely visible. There's no adverts in the shop window and the store space for Switch games is a foot long and about five feet high. Even though it's a small shop, I still had to hunt around to find it. Mind you, they pretty much abandoned the Wii U and 3DS about two years ago...

#45 qazimod

qazimod

• Founding Member
  • 2,458 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 05 March 2017 - 01:12 PM

It's much the same here - we have a small Game store at the end of the high street (and a CEX around the corner from that) and there's barely any Switch adverts in the window of Game - wouldn't want to distract from those sweet used phone offers!  :rolleyes: - but I believe there are a few shelves promoting Switch things instore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users