31 replies to this topic

#1 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 08:21 PM

Let's keep this going!

1. Pony Island (PC)

Fun little diversion for a couple of hours. Goes some interesting places, isn't too difficult and it makes it clear when you've seen everything.

2. Exist Archive (PS4)

I've got three of the endings. There's a better version of the good ending but the requirements are a bit too much for a the multiple hours of play I'd probably need. Good game overall but I lost too much time to crashes - three lockups which lost me multiple hours overall.

#2 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:49 PM

1. Jan - Pony Island (PC)

2. Jan - Exist Archive (PS4)

3. Jan - Ryu ga Gotoku Kiwami (PS4)

30 hours, nearly 70% completion. It feels like an extra "bonus" to keep us held over til 6 is finally ready but it fills out the Nishikiyama story and there's still plenty to do. The additions to the fighting styles make it the best version of the classic RGG system, since it looks like big changes are afoot. I can't wait until Thursday to try the new one out!

#3 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 08:19 PM

4. Feb - SUPERHOT (PC)

It's the most innovative shooter I've played in years. Short but full of style and the gimmick doesn't have time to wear out its welcome.

#4 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 01:32 AM

4. Feb - SUPERHOT (PC)

5. Mar - Disgaea 5 (PS4)

Making slow progress this year. This was really good, no idea why I dropped it originally. Nippon Ichi make the games faster and more intuitive to control each time around so you can concentrate on smacking enemies around and making the bar fill up to increase the numbers. The mostly silly plot helps with some great (in the Japanese at least) voice performances.

#5 plopboy

plopboy

I'm from the, uh, Confidential Committee on Moral Abuses

• Admin
  • 3,497 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:42 PM

1. Mar - Nier (PS3) - A Ending

I've tried to get into this a few times, but recently I went back to an old save and just got absolutely hooked. The second half felt like it dragged a little but overall wow just a great game. I know it was knocked for being graphically not the best which I didn't get, I felt it suited the story fine. I'm not sure why I liked it, perhaps Weiss's voice acting, perhaps the slightly ganky but enjoyable combat, perhaps the storyline, I don't know but it really hooked me. 

On to the next endings then :)

#6 Adrock

Adrock
  • Admin
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 06:25 PM

I have Nier on 360. I really should play it because it's widely recommended by everyone.

For my own shame I haven't completed anything this year, my son has completed a few Lego games and Pokemon X. All of which I've had to help him with, so I'm claiming those for myself.

#7 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

Just as you suspected, everything I have told you is gibberish

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 01 May 2016 - 12:12 AM

1) MAR - SUPERHOT (PC) (story complete)

I completed this earlier in the year, but can't remember when. Let's say the beginning of March. Reviews that knock scores down because of its brevity completely miss the point. While it's never going to become an obsession, I can see myself going back to it every now and again to have a crack at the challenges, find secrets and generally just have a laugh with that genius central mechanic.

2) APR - The Blackwell Legacy (PC)

Meanwhile, if you want the perfect example of a game that *is* far too short, there's this. Having finished what I thought was going to be the first act, I was disappointed and surprised to see the end credits appear on the screen. The storyline doesn't even fucking start before the game's over and it feels more like a proof of concept for the sequels than a fully-fledged game in its own right. Fortunately, I got it as part of a cheapo bundle, but even so. Like opening a back of crisps to find that 90% of it is just thin air.

#8 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 04:07 PM

4. Feb - SUPERHOT (PC)

5. Mar - Disgaea 5 (PS4)

6. Apr - Neptune Rebirth 3 (Vita)

Good way to catch up with some videos and podcasts I'd had stacking up while on holiday. Silly story with some genuine laugh out loud moments and a battle system which lets you skip all the unnecessary fluff and animations to just get to the point that is making numbers become bigger numbers.

7. May - Star Ocean 5 (PS4)

Took about 29 hours. Surprisingly good given the negativity I'd heard. The budget shows but it keeps going at a steady clip throughout and I liked the way that Personal Actions were handled this time around. I ended up liking pretty much the entire cast except the boring warrior guy.

#9 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:22 PM

4. Feb - SUPERHOT (PC)

5. Mar - Disgaea 5 (PS4)

8. May - Doom (PC)

Amazing. Best FPS I've played in a very, very long time. Completely unexpected as well, given the well-documented development troubles.

#10 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 10:24 AM

4. Feb - SUPERHOT (PC)

5. Mar - Disgaea 5 (PS4)

8. May - Doom (PC)

9. May - Atelier Shallie Plus (Vita)

A great upgrade. The ending makes more sense now and I liked the reintroduction of more characters from earlier in the series to tie it all together. Still plenty to do but I think I'll wait until the new Atelier announcement on the 28th before deciding what to do.

#11 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 07 June 2016 - 12:45 AM

3) JUN - Pikmin 3 (Wii U)

Hmm. Really don't know how I feel about this. The use of an expendable resource as a means of reintroducing an element of time pressure without repeating Pikmin 1's main design flaw (making the player feel that they have to rush through everything) just doesn't work, because there's so much of that resource and it's so easy to obtain that it becomes entirely pointless. Meanwhile, man this game's content-light. Especially in comparison to its direct predecessor.

I enjoyed it, but it managed to end at exactly the point that I thought it was going to get going. Rescue Olimar? Great, now here comes the traditional Pikmin junk-hunt and additional content! Oh, wait. No it doesn't.

Reminds me of the disappointment I felt when I discovered that sunken Hyrule in Wind Waker wasn't actually the whole bunch more dungeons and storyline that I was expecting, but was just a boss rush area.

#12 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 03:19 PM

4. Feb - SUPERHOT (PC)

5. Mar - Disgaea 5 (PS4)

8. May - Doom (PC)

10. Jul - Rise of the Tomb Raider (PC)

Good fun mostly but kind of fell apart towards the end. Good PC port, with some impressive visuals especially in cutscenes.

#13 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 07:42 PM

4. Feb - SUPERHOT (PC)

5. Mar - Disgaea 5 (PS4)

8. May - Doom (PC)

11. Jul - Ryse: Son of Rome (PC)

Worth the £3.75 I paid for it. Took about 5 hours but they stopped introducing anything new past hour 1. Combat had a good rhythm and I liked the executions but the super basic nature of it meant that it was wearing very thin by the end. The amount of videos we got instead of realtime cutscenes was extremely disappointing. And why did they use the physical likeness of Giant Bomb's Alex Navarro for Boudica? It creeped me out a bit.

#14 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 09:03 PM

4. Feb - SUPERHOT (PC)

5. Mar - Disgaea 5 (PS4)

8. May - Doom (PC)

11. Jul - Ryse: Son of Rome (PC)

12. Jul - Shin Megami Tensei 4 Final (3DS) - 3 of 4 endings, including "true" ending

Took 48 hours or so. I think that it ended up outstaying its welcome towards the end but the final battle was actually one of the most fun challenges in the game, with a couple of system changes that made it more of a to-and-fro than other bosses without having to rely on massive immunity gimmicks. It definitely kept the challenge up much longer than SMT4 did, which became totally trivial about 15 hours in.

Edited by uiruki, 17 July 2016 - 09:03 PM.

#15 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 25 July 2016 - 10:03 PM

3) JUN - Pikmin 3 (Wii U)

4) Firewatch (PC)

Liked it. Felt throughout that my dialogue choices possibly weren't making any difference to the relationship between the two characters, but don't feel like I really want to go through again to try alternatives. There was also a fairly glaring character contradiction in the script right at the end. Plus a similar few tricks to Gone Home in the way that it played with expectations, but it never quite hit the notes as well as that game did.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users