• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Singho

Singho

U CAN'T SEE MEEE!

• Admin
  • 11,144 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:27 PM

GHZ with the hard and fast breaking news!

Street Fighter V: PS4 and PC exclusive,

This trailer got leaked before the Sony Experience Event over the weekend and the internet went into melt down.  Heard the news at work and couldn't believe it.

Oh, and Ultra Street Fighter IV has also been confirmed as a Console Exclusive for the next gen systems too.  So looks like Sony have realised they need something that's just their own as when you think about it, outside of a few titles, there's not much to separate the two systems outside of the usual rubbish of resolution, content and minor performance issues.

I'm not too sure how I feel about it at the moment.  Graphics wise the jump from IV to V does not look that dramatic, but I guess just like with Killer Instinct, the additional details will be in the stages with the added bump up in character models.

I love Ultra Street Fighter IV and the roster had steadily increased to a nice healthy level since the last update.

I really hope Street Fighter V is like SF3s roster when it first came out.  Characters with some similarities to the old gang, but totally different in play style.  SFIII cast was the least represented out of all of the SF games so hopefully some of the missing guys will be making their debut in V.  Brand new characters will also be nice too.

MIA - Alpha\Zero Characters

Charlie

Birdie

Sodom

Karin

June\Juli

R Mika

MIA - SFIII

13/20 missing with the exceptions of Dudley, Elena, Hugo, Ibuki, Makoto, Yang, Yun.

Gameplay Trailer

Things to note;

• Denjin Hadoken - Ryu's Super Art from SFIII - Had to be charged.
  • Tensei Ranka - final attack of Chun Li's 3rd Super Art from SFIII when she in the air.
  • Knockdown attacks
  • Stage Transitions
  • Guard Crush - This will help with dealing against those who thought IV was a block\turtle fest.
  • Status Change\Power Up Mechanic

The stage looks quite detailed, I hope this is a return for each fighter having their own stage.  SFIV really gimped out on that.  There's no way this will be out any earlier then 2016, so there will be plenty of time for me to get a PS4.

If there was going to be a game that would have made me get a PS4 or any Console for that matter...can't have picked a better game then this. :lol:

I don't know the sales data for how well SFIV did on 360 compared to PS4 and whether Capcom would be happy with the sales from one of their premier titles almost being halved, but if the money hat was filled up by Sony, might have been worth it.

Just really glad that I did not buy an Arcade Stick for the Xbone.

#2 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:26 PM

Just when I got out they pull me back in... Surprised at it not being on Xbox, but I'd have got it on the PS4 anyway...

Wishlist character wise is mainly SF III characters - Urien, Alex, Oro, Q, maybe Remy and Necro. Also for dream tear wishlist characters I'd love Skullomania, Shadow Geist, C Jack, V Rosso and Garuda as the super badass (much better than Seth) final boss and make Blanka god tier for me :xd: But seriously, SFIV was basically the SFII for the new generation but we don't need everyone to return this time.

Its too early to really judge the gameplay just yet, it looks like SF except faster. It'll be shown off again at the Capcom cup soon so we don't have long to wait for more stuff.

Oh, and Ultra SFIV is coming to the PS4 as well. I never got it yet so I'll finally grab it. I was holding out for a PS4 version anyway.

Edited by shadowman, 07 December 2014 - 11:27 PM.

#3 Fuddle

Fuddle

Schizotypal

• 1,608 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:59 PM

now i've had time to watch the trailers a few times and some screens it doesnt look as much like 4 as i initially thought.

hopefully they'll mix things up a bit. omega mode for 4 looks mental, so if they do bring back a bunch of characters i'd like to think they wont be afraid to make some changes. ideally though i'd prefer an almost totally new cast.

presumably it will be quite late into 2015 at the earliest if the ps4 version of ultra isnt till spring.

i'll end up with a PS4 when whichever of this or everybody's golf comes out i guess.

#4 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 02:23 PM

It's what pushed me over the edge into ordering a HRAP4 for my PS4, so there's that. I'll wait until I see more before deciding. I will admit that at first look I'm disappointed that they're still using the chunky Ikeno designs for the characters, though.

Hopefully they'll improve the music this time around, they REALLY need to put some money into that. Lots of classic Capcom musicians are freelance now - wouldn't it be great if they got someone like Yoko Shimomura or Tamayo Kawamoto back in?

#5 qazimod

qazimod

• Founding Member
  • 2,458 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 08 December 2014 - 07:01 PM

Well now I'm even more glad I opted for a PS4 first this gen - Persona, Bloodborne, Amplitude, this...all of the stuff I want to play is coming to Sony's box. :) I've always been a pad player myself so I kind of hope PS4 gets an equivalent to last gen's Fightpad (indeed, a quick google suggests that PDP are making fightpads for both current-gen platforms to tie in with MKX, so yay.)

Guard crush is a great idea -  the last time I really enjoyed it was in Alpha 3, and it really dissuaded turtling and playing lame to make for a more exciting game (although I never got any better at Alpha 3, as I was reminded back when Willei and I played it online :P ) The power-up thing kind of reminds me of Denjin Mode Ryu in Marvel 3, although I'm wondering how usage of it will be controlled (a second meter alongside the super bar? An alternative use of the same meter?)

Really I'm hoping for some brand new mechanic (or a new take on an existing idea) that defines the game in the same way that parries and focus attacks were a fundamental part of SFIII and SFIV. Singho's comments about the roster are kind of similar to my thoughts - SFIV's cast of characters grew into an absolute beast with fighters from SFII, Alpha, SFIII, all sorts. It's one of the most impressive rosters in a mainline Street Fighter title, and I really hope that SFV doesn't simply give us the initial eight world warriors to play with until the inevitable update.

Like Fuddle says, we still have Omega Mode (and online Edition Select yesssss) coming to USFIV while we wait for this new instalment, so there's lots to look forward to in the meantime. :)

Edited by qazimod, 08 December 2014 - 07:02 PM.

#6 Fuddle

Fuddle

Schizotypal

• 1,608 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:36 PM

reading around about this i have to say the folk that think it looks the same as street fighter 4 are bonkers.

Attached File  15786540639_f514e5de5d_b.jpg   228.91KB   0 downloads

cant wait to see what they show at capcom cup this weekend.

i almost dont want to be too excited about this. i still remember religiously going to the sf4 blog for new character announcements, and being disappointed it was constantly sf2 cast members.

#7 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 10:12 PM

I don't think that people think it looks the same - I reckon it's more that it's similar enough to how you remember it if you haven't played for a while. I remember not being very impressed with House of the Dead 2 way back when it came out because I didn't think it looked better than the Model 2 original - of course when I went back to the original I realised I was comparing it to an idealised version of it in my head. Of course, the gap tends to be a bit closer nowadays.

Sure, Ryu's head is a less stupid shape and the models look a bit less like those uncorrected sprite rips you see people post (CPS systems have rectangular pixels!) but there's not as much super obvious stuff you can pin onto it like with a lot of other fighting games so far - DOA4 had the silly hair and intricate backgrounds, VF5 made everyone REALLY SHINY for visibility on the lower contrast LCD monitors, SF4 became smooth 3D with that striking Focus Attack effect and had those silly facial animations, KOF12 had very different proportions and a lot more animation, that sort of stuff. Tekken 7's location test had a similar problem - though it's unclear how much of that game was completely new at that point and Harada got in front of that quickly. Then again, I'm not seeing a lot from that (admittedly somewhat low-res) Lucky Chloe intro video which couldn't be on PS3 apart from some KI-style sparks and vines on the walls of that stage.

Then again, you're probably not going to see a striking difference with Ryu and Chun-Li anyway. Hopefully there'll be more shiny new stuff at Capcom Cup and maybe even play impressions. In the end, disappointing graphics only put you off so much; I played an awful lot of Street Fighter EX, aka Cereal Box Edition, because it was a lot of fun. I was in Japan for three weeks last month and I played USF4 a total of once because I don't find SF4 fun anymore.

Edited by uiruki, 08 December 2014 - 10:24 PM.

#8 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:42 AM

It's what pushed me over the edge into ordering a HRAP4 for my PS4, so there's that. I'll wait until I see more before deciding. I will admit that at first look I'm disappointed that they're still using the chunky Ikeno designs for the characters, though.

Hopefully they'll improve the music this time around, they REALLY need to put some money into that. Lots of classic Capcom musicians are freelance now - wouldn't it be great if they got someone like Yoko Shimomura or Tamayo Kawamoto back in?

I'm not sure who did the EX+@ soundtrack but I think they need to get him/her back to do V's soundtrack, its still head and shoulders above the rest of the series in my opinion.

#9 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 10:36 AM

It was Shinji Hosoe and Ayako Saso with Takayuki Aihara. Ironically, Hosoe and Saso are probably more associated with their time at Namco.

#10 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:35 AM

Capcom Cup had a couple of matches (footage here - only 720p/60 for now) and you can see a lot more of what's new.

Normal moves seem to chip into grey health (and chip doesn't KO, even with specials), the EX meter gets different levels depending on... something and you get some form of install/powerup by using it all. The animation transitions look a lot better than 4 with things like moving forwards and backwards as well as VF-style circular moves being stopped rather than passing through. Some of the moves look really heavy and satisfying - Ryu does a super heavy looking punch a couple of times and I'm looking forward to seeing what Gief (or his equivalent) ends up getting because the visual feedback on that is really good. The stage finish in the second match was really funny and I liked the persistence. The music wasn't terrible and it seemed to get out of the way a bit during the fighting.

Things I'm less sure about: walk speed seems low and the front dash short but the stages can get really big. The Revenge meter is back but I didn't see any way of charging it apart from being hit. The bit where the guy tried to skip the intro cutscene and paused instead was a bit painful (though I'm sure they'll fix that)!

It looks remarkably solid for something that's apparently over a year away. Looking forward to it a lot more, though I'll probably change my mind when I see my first Guile-Guile match judging by the movement speeds. Or should I say Charlie-Charlie?

Edited by uiruki, 14 December 2014 - 10:45 AM.

#11 qazimod

qazimod

• Founding Member
  • 2,458 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:46 PM

I can't quite put my finger on it but I'm still not used to the visuals. I think it's something to do with the contrast of the characters and background - I feel like the fighters need to "pop out" a bit more. All of the stuff like hit and block sparks and cloud/dust stuff (e.g. when pushed back after a block) looks great though, and the actual gameplay seems solid. Hopefully the look of the thing will grow on me. :P

#12 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 06:33 PM

Yeah, reminds me of VF5 - they added that gloss effect to make it easier to see the characters.

There was a bit between rounds where Ryu looked really badly lit, so I think it'll be part of the next pass on artwork.

Edited by uiruki, 14 December 2014 - 06:34 PM.

#13 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 14 December 2014 - 11:57 PM

I quite like the graphics so far. Well mainly the added detail to certain areas (Ryu's face looks way better compared to SFIV). The animation looks really slick on the game as well, it looks noticeably better compared to SFIV.

The new moves/systems in place look interesting (like the weird electric spark aura Ryu gets at one point) and I'd be down if Nash returns, hopefully getting rid of Guile (assuming the roster will be limited, I want as little repetition in the character roster as possible)

#14 plopboy

plopboy

I'm from the, uh, Confidential Committee on Moral Abuses

• Admin
  • 3,497 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:16 PM

I hope they create new characters like Street Fighter 3 did at first, though I doubt they will. Either way as long as Sean returns I don't mind :)

#15 Singho

Singho

U CAN'T SEE MEEE!

• Admin
  • 11,144 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:33 PM

HOLD ON TO YOUR BUTTS...KEN IS HERE!

WE.ARE.ALREADY.DEAD.

I've dropped some impressions of the E3 Beta version here at the link for anyone interested: Street Fighter V - Beta Impressions

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PS4, PC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users