Xbox One PC

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,274 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 01 October 2017 - 02:22 PM

Its finally here, after being announced what feels like a lifetime ago this ambitious looking 2D boss rush game is finally out. And it doesn't disappoint.

So just to be clear - the game is mostly made up of bosses. There are some more traditional run n gun levels, but these are few and far between. With only 7 in the game, compared to the 20 odd boss fights. 

The run n gun stages in the game though are all very unique and creative. They aren't rushed or phoned in for the sake of more content - all these levels have exclusive enemies and obstacles that really help make them feel fresh. And they continue to get better as you progress, the first two feel very safe, while the levels included in Isle's II and III are far more creative and really fun.

Now the bosses themselves... I love boss battles in games, one of the two main reasons I like Mega Man so much is the boss battles so I had high hopes for these (since they are the focus of the game).

And they are really brilliant. Each Isle has several bosses you'll need to clear in order to progress to the next area. Each of the bosses (from killer vegetables, boxing frogs, queen bees, an angry Zeppelin, an even angrier dragon etc.). Each boss has several phases to deal with, each of them proving to be pretty tough at first. You'll need to learn all the attack patterns if you want to survive each encounter - thankfully its fairly easy to see each attack coming, since all the bosses are animated so well so as long as your paying attention you should be fine! The boss patterns and phases are all really well thought out with some genuine laugh out loud moments at points. i've found myself lose a life or two simply down to admiring the wonderful transformations and animations on display, plus some of these boss ideas are things I've never really seen in games before - for example an early boss against two boxing frogs takes a turn for the weird when they transform into a giant slot machine. The entire boss fight feels like a mash up of several Mega Man moments (which really just makes it more awesome!) And later bosses get even more creative. I don't want to go into too much detail as it'd spoil the surprise, but trust me they are done well.

The animation in the game is simply second to none. Its all hand drawn, which for any 2D game these days is a rarity, but its even more impressive when you look at the quality of animation on display here. Its pretty much the most impressive looking/animated 2D game I've ever seen. Each boss is completely unique and has between 3-4 unique phases, complete with tons of different attacks. So that's a ton of animation on display! And the music doesn't let it down either - the soundtrack is composed in a way to complement the 1930's style of animation. Its top quality stuff, its a soundtrack I can easily see me listening to many times over.

In terms of difficulty - yeah, it is difficult. I'm getting through things fairly ok, managing to get A ranks as I go for each boss, but that's probably partly because I love these kinds of games, and because I've replayed each boss several times over already. There is a "simple" difficulty that reduces boss health and the number of phases the boss gets, but also prevents you from accessing the final area of the game. Even so, I can't recommend the game enough. Its a beautifully created 2D action game with some of the best bosses in the genre (or any genre for that matter). The difficulty level might put some people off but I'm pleased that they didn't make this easy, makes victory feel all the sweeter. I'll definitely be doing a second run on the harder difficulty once I've gotten all the A ranks in the normal difficulty.

#2 TheShend

TheShend

You know it is, it really is!

• Founding Member
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 02:34 PM

I've had a very brief play but I loved it.

Managed to complete the first boss and buy a couple of things from Porky. I then proceeded to replay the first boss several times to try and improve my score and parry timing. I've already found that the dash needed to move to RB. Trying to reach for Y with X pressed down wasn't intuitive.

I'm looking forward to returning to the game.

If anyone is interested in the design philosophy there's an interesting talk here from on of the artists.

In that talk there's a reference to this scene from a Betty Boop cartoon. Specifically when the Koko the Clown's (as a ghost) head separates from his body into a bottle of spirits and the body shots the tipple. There's really a nothing off the table logic of these cartoons. It should play at the right time at 4m 11s. That's Cab Colloway if you're curious (He does the Minnie the Moocher number near the end of Blues Brothers) 

https://youtu.be/cKOSJ5AAwfc?t=4m11s

#3 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,274 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 03 October 2017 - 10:33 AM

That's a really cool link. I think the most blatant homage to a past cartoon comes in the third area where 

Spoiler

I've almost cleared the first 3 sets of bosses with A ranks now. Just got two to go and then the finale. Definitely one of the standout games of the year for me. One that will definitely get replayed over and over.

#4 TheShend

TheShend

• Founding Member
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:56 AM

Anyone completed the second Run & Gun level?

Spoiler

#5 plopboy

plopboy

I'm from the, uh, Confidential Committee on Moral Abuses

• Admin
  • 3,495 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:40 PM

Spoiler

I saved up my super and used it all up there, but I stayed near the top of the screen as far as I can remember.

I've managed to do the first island but the second island is really tough and I've only managed to do one boss on simple.

I really like the presentation, it is top notch but it really is hard. I might do what Shend mention and move the dash button as it really is awkward on Y.

#6 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,274 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 04 October 2017 - 08:35 PM

Spoiler

It should really only be destroying a couple of platforms at most at a time, the platforms do respawn after a short while. However, if your still having trouble keep in mind you can actually just avoid the boss entirely - go to the highest platform closest to the boss and jump right at the boss, then dash so that you go right over his head. You should land just on the edge of the platform behind him. You may also miss it if you messed up the jump, but as long as you have health it'll bounce you out of the pit onto the platform.

#7 TheShend

TheShend

• Founding Member
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:54 PM

Just got up to Isle 3 now. Really enjoying it and there's some lovely little touches scattered about.

#8 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,274 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:34 AM

Finished the game myself. Now working on expert difficulty which is predictably pretty tough! Amazing game though, only one boss I'd class as not awesome (the big robot boss), just felt a bit too cookie cutter design wise compared to some of the incredibly clever bosses throughout. The last couple of bosses are really awesome as well, the final boss strangely is fairly ok outside of the first phase (which is indeed tough!)

#9 TheShend

TheShend

• Founding Member
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:38 PM

It's sold a million.

http://studiomdhr.co...-goes-platinum/

#10 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,274 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:21 PM

It's sold a million.

http://studiomdhr.co...-goes-platinum/

Well deserved. Its absolutely brilliant, glad to see a game like this selling so well especially when it focuses on fantastic 2D action, brilliant boss battles and a lovely difficulty level!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Xbox One, PC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users