Switch 3DS

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:50 AM

Out in Japan now - no other languages. A hefty 13gb download, too.

This is basically the follow up to Hyrule Warriors and so its another crossover game. You choose one of two original character twins (prince or princess), have your castle taken over by enemies from another dimension and start running into Fire Emblem characters while beating up loads of soldiers with your sword, axe or spear.

As youd expect, theyve included a lot of Fire Emblem elements in the game, including a form of permadeath! The weapon triangle is very much present, spells and items are usable, you can pair up units with a quick button press to help increase their bond levels more quickly - they even made the music more subdued when youre not fighting.

Map control is in to an extent; there are both guard posts and fortresses that you can take over. You control up to four characters in a battle and as you would expect theyve included the orders system that started in Samurai Warriors. Sending guys over to beat up on enemies theyre strong against is a relatively quick process. The crush attack from Zelda is in too, so stunning enemies results in a flashy extra attack.

Theres plenty to this one; theyve done a lot to make it like the original games, everything is voice acted and weve already had a couple of instances of Awakening characters running into their own children. Graphically its fine, nothing super amazing but Id like to mention the high frame rate mode - when docked it lets you basically make it render the same way as the portable mode and as a result the framerate gets very close to 60. Its not constant or anything but its better than any of the PS4 Warriors games with the exception of Shin Gundam Musou.

Overall, a return to form for the Warriors name. With Spirit of Sanada and Stars being absolutely terrible, and DW9 looking like its going to be pretty bad too, I had reservations about this one but its as good a game of its type as Ive played in years. Probably the best since Hyrule Warriors, actually, and I definitely have no real attachment to Zelda or FE!

#2 plopboy

plopboy

I'm from the, uh, Confidential Committee on Moral Abuses

• Admin
  • 3,495 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:09 AM

Sounds good, but I always find I burn out fairly quickly with the Warriors games after an enjoyable start.

#3 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:17 AM

I think the main things to watch out for will be the variety of characters to unlock and their play styles, and whether theres a post-story adventure mode type thing. Theres naturally going to be a lot of repetition within individual battles but the best Musou games have good variation from stage to stage; DQ Heroes 2 was particularly good at providing variety though I do still think enemies had too much HP.

#4 plopboy

plopboy

I'm from the, uh, Confidential Committee on Moral Abuses

• Admin
  • 3,495 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:37 AM

I liked DQ Heroes probably because the battles where shorter and it seemed a bit more focused than the standard games, but for some reason I couldn't get into DQ Heroes 2, it just felt like the open world bits where a bit janky?

I'm look forward to this one though as I've liked the spin offs more than the standard games recently.

#5 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:18 PM

I know what you mean - the big map open worlds that Koei have been putting into their games of late havent been very good. I definitely thought they detracted from Toukiden 2, for example. One of the reasons Im worried about DW9 for sure.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Switch, 3DS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users