Anime Ace Attorney Phoenix Wright

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MrToad

MrToad

Barcode Battler

• 1,597 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 01:59 PM

(( Not sure whether this fits best here in OT or in Gaming Discussion, as it is game related... kinda. Feel free to move if you see fit :) ))

So I played the iOS port of the original Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney fairly recently and thought "This is fun, but it'd make an awesome anime!" Well guess what? Just this morning found out that's exactly what they've done! :o :o

Ace Attorney (Japanese name: Gyakuten Saiban: Sono "Shinjitsu", Igi Ari!) is airing at the moment and up to ep 3 out of what I'm guessing may be a 12-13 ep series.

Haven't watched any of it yet, so no idea if it's any good, but I'm hopeful - the few screenies I've seen look faithful to the source material, as do the episode titles. If it stays true to the game it should be a lot of fun (and possibly better than playing the game ;)).

Objection.jpg

#2 MrToad

MrToad

Barcode Battler

• 1,597 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 11:23 AM

Watched the first ep last night. If you like the games it's pretty good, as they have stuck very closely to the spirit of the original game. In fact so far not just the spirit - the first ep is a near word-for-word, moment-for-moment recreation of the first case in the game. They've kept all the important stuff - the characters are all faithfully drawn exactly as the game, and the events and leaps of "logic" are just as daft and nonsensical. It has a lot of nice homages to the games; the same camera shots are used, and the text info boxes that pop up (saying stuff like "May 28th 4:15pm, District Courtroom No 2") are taken straight from the original.

However, for me the most important thing is the music. The game soundtrack was outstanding, and the way it switched tunes to suit the action really built up the dramatic moments. The high energy climactic theme was particularly good for ramping up the "I've got him on the ropes!" excitement. So does it get it right? The opening and closing themes are bog standard J-pop - fitting, but nothing special. Most of the incidental music is likewise fitting, but not directly related. Not so good so far... And then, just at the crucial dramatic courtroom "OBJECTION!" moment they pulled out a few bars of one of the big dramatic themes. Awww yeah! Only a few bars though - would have liked to have heard more before it merged into a new theme. But it did that a few times, which made me happy :)

So is it any good? Scanned over a couple of fairly scathing reviews, but these were the equivalent of YouTube comments so made by people unfamiliar with the "logic" of the game world. If you've played the game then it's worth watching just for the faithful recreation... but it hasn't gripped me yet. Of course I've only watched one ep, so my jury is still out and I'll see a few more before delivering a final verdict.

#3 MrToad

MrToad

Barcode Battler

• 1,597 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 11:15 AM

Watched the first 4 eps now, which neatly takes things up to the end of the second case, "Turnabout Sisters". Everything in my previous post is pretty much confirmed. It follows the game very closely and pays lots of homage to its origins, especially visually. Locations and character names, designs and animations are carefully recreated almost everywhere. Again, the only thing that slightly bugs me is (IMHO) they're not making enough of the original game music. They use a few bars from an original theme, then blend it into something new. Which in some ways is nice, but (for me) one of the main strengths of the game was the music, so not hearing the familiar tunes kicking in with full force is slightly disappointing.

There's a sort of irony though. Fans of the game will enjoy it, but know exactly what's going to happen so it'll be lacking in surprise value. Those new to the franchise will probably find it rather too silly and illogical :lol: But then that's kind of the point - it's very much a parody/homage rather than any kind of realistic legal fact.

It's all good nonsense fun and I'm enjoying it as a bit of brainless nostalgia :)

#4 MrToad

MrToad

Barcode Battler

• 1,597 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 12:31 PM

Finished off the series finale last night :) My initial impressions still stand - it's a faithful recreation of the first two games crammed into 24 episodes. It skips the first game's bonus 5th case (the Skye sisters) and the second game's intro case (the police officer couple) as they don't fit the narrative flow. They get replaced by a childhood flashback episode, which turns out to be rather good.

So is it any good? In short: yes. Once I got over my initial disappointment over the music the series really grew on me. It's made with a lot of love for the source material, and it recreates the same fun sense of hammy melodrama. The big cases in the games (each game's final case) are again the stand out cases in the show and really ramp up the action and tension. Big OBJECTION!! moments are handled well, the Judge still gets some sneaky sarcastic one-liners and generally all the boxes are ticked :)

Really enjoyed it - it's a lot of fun :)

Edited by MrToad, 03 October 2016 - 12:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users