2 replies to this topic

#1 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

Just as you suspected, everything I have told you is gibberish

• Admin
  • 8,858 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 04 September 2017 - 11:47 PM

We kind of need a new TV. The one we've got is the one that I bought a month or so after I first bought a 360, so it's something like eleven years old now and it shows. There's burn-in down one side of the screen from me watching lots of old 4:3 telly and playing 4:3 games through it - well, not burn-in exactly, but some kind of LCD equivalent - the speakers are kind of crappy and there's always been a significant overscan problem when playing the PS3 through it as well as, I've now discovered, the PS4. And it won't play PS2 titles or some Wii games at quite the right screen ratio (everything's a bit squished horizontally), but that's been a problem from day one.

I took the easy route when I bought it and, instead of doing any actual research into what makes and models were decent, I just found out what MS were using in the 360 demo pods and bought one of those.

But now we could do with a replacement. I've learned to live with the faults, but having finally got a PS4 last weekend I'm finding myself getting really pissed off with the overscan issue again. I could do with some recommendations, though.

Ideally, we're looking for something with an LED screen no bigger than 32" (anything larger would look ridiculous in this room), decent speakers and, if possible, a good selection of different input ports, although I know that's probably a bit of an ask in this day and age. I would like to have component input as well as SCART and, obviously, HDMI, but I guess it's not a deal-breaker. Freeview would be nice, but if it's not there I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. Options to get rid of overscan are absolutely essential.

What I really don't want, though, is an internet or smart TV.

Any recommendations? What are you guys playing stuff through now?

#2 uiruki

uiruki
  • Founding Member
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:04 AM

Fully aboard with your no smart TV nonsense - I have a 49" Samsung KD7000 and I hate it. It's constantly fucking with the brightness even with dynamic contrast off, it keeps messing with my settings if I plug in my PC and if I connect it to the network it flings adverts at me. Bad purchase. 4K arguably isn't worth it either as almost nothing runs with it right now - if you're buying for the next five years it might be worth considering though.

As a preface, the below is a weird suggestion; it's going to be expensive and the spending is more on stuff that isn't the display than anything else. Hopefully it gives you some food for thought though.

I don't think they make many non-smart TVs anymore, so I think that one thing you might like to consider is a combo of a 32" PC monitor (no overscan at all there) or digital signage, a receiver ( I like my Denon AVR-X2300W as it has a lot of HDMI ports, configurable buttons on the front and a good direct mode for low latency, though it is a bit big - can definitely recommend 4K in this case as you might need it later, though it lacks on analogue inputs) and maybe a Framemeister for adjustable low-latency analogue signals.

Speaker-wise, I've got Monitor Audio Bronze 2s and a centre for a 3.0 setup which fills the room pretty well and it's expandable, though in terms of budget it might be overkill depending on your setup. Some cheaper bookshelf speakers would beat the pants off any telly speakers and the receiver will drive them well. Quick look on CCL's website shows a Philips IPS 32" 1080p monitor for £225 so you can save a little bit on the display, though I don't know how much a 32 TV costs nowadays. Whatever you get it'll look better than the old Xbox TV which I honestly found disappointing and a bit smeary even in 2006 (I bought one too!). A cheaper telly which you never, ever connect to your network should fit the bill too and you'd get Freeview, though as a rule monitors have better input lag.

In terms of image retention, I think you'll have to expect it at some point. Even my £700 monitor has a noticeable strip down the side where my Start menu/taskbar is.

Edited by uiruki, 05 September 2017 - 06:26 AM.

#3 qazimod

qazimod

• Founding Member
  • 2,457 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:35 PM

This is what I have at the mo (pic is from rllmuk as they have a similar thread):

pvAwvRu.jpg

It's a 27" LG M2780D LCD - not really terribly flashy but it's a nice clean image and the colours are alright. I had a 32" set before but it was way too much telly for the space that I had. :D Anyway, this has composite, component, HDMI, VGA and SCART on the back - since I own all sorts of consoles and have some video capture hardware, the more things I can plug in, the better!

Only problem is that the TV's speakers are pretty weedy - I've been meaning to sort out my audio for ages, and when I'm running captures on the PC (which is using an old Logitech sub and speakers) there's a huge difference.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users