233 replies to this topic

#31 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

Just as you suspected, everything I have told you is gibberish

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:22 PM

Broken wrist? Ouch. I smashed my hand years ago and that was painful enough. All mended properly, Will?

I'll be honest, part of me doesn't really care about new members. A large part of me. My main hope is that the place is reinvigorated in a way that makes the existing members (including myself) want to post more. New members would be awesome, obviously.

I think most people who are going to respond have, by now, so how are these for the sections:

Gaming News & Discussion
Impressions
Online & Social Gaming

Then a chunk at the end, called something like 'GHZ Community', which would contain 'Forum News & Discussion' and some kind of 'other', which would be for any and all non-gaming chat (effectively everything that currently gets posted in the four sections at the bottom of the current board). And probably the archive.

I'll admit that wanting to retain Classic Gaming was more because I feel a kind of personal attachment to it, than anything else - after your post, Siri, I checked and realised that it actually contains the fewest threads out of any section of the board. Now that you mentioned it, though, there's nothing there that wouldn't fit into another area.

Once the tech side is sorted and something functional is up and running, I'll get on with the job of moving existing threads around.

#32 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:19 AM

I also echo the thoughts in this thread, especially retaining the impressions threads (which seem to really reflect my thoughts on most games). Only reason I've not been posting as much at the moment is half due to a new(ish) job taking up quite a bit of time and also because gaming wise I'm still pretty much just playing Yakuza 5 (I really under estimated just how damn big the game would end up being...)

I am getting a PS4 in November though so I should hopefully be posting more then (at least until I get the next Yakuza game in February!)

#33 davejm

davejm

Joy.Discovery.Invention

• Admin
  • 3,646 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:43 PM

Randy, how do you want to manage the existing content? It seems we have a couple of options:-

1) I can move all the current forums over with all the content, but then list them under a category called 'Archive' that is essentially hidden from most members. We can then create the new forums, but retain the ability to move individual threads over if needed. Impressions would be the only forum that would move over as it is.

2) Create the new forums, and then 'map' the existing threads in the current forum to one of the new ones. i.e. 'Classic Gaming' would map to 'Gaming News & Discussion'... and the 4 Community forums would map to the new Off Topic/Other forum (whatever that is called, Off Topic?!). Basically what I mean is, all existing threads would have a home in one of the new forums based on how we want to 'map' them. I can do all of that with a quick UPDATE script.

I guess the first option fits more in line with the original plan for a fresh start? I just want to let you know that anything is technically possible at this stage.

Edited by davejm, 21 October 2013 - 04:44 PM.

#34 Adrock

Adrock
  • Admin
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:09 PM

I think I'd like maybe all of the impressions in the impressions folder, or maybe just the last 6 months to a year.

News and the rest are pretty quiet so we could start again.

#35 davejm

davejm

Joy.Discovery.Invention

• Admin
  • 3,646 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:40 PM

Cool. If we're gonna move the impressions, lets do all of it and then I'll create an impressions index like I did before. I think it's a nice archive.

The data migration is a pain in the arse, but I'm getting there. As I'm sure you found Ad, the convert script is a bit of a mess. I've managed to use parts of that plus some custom SQL though, so almost sorted. One major problem seems to be that it errors when copying the post body, so the convert script moves the posts over but skips the body text. I can move that over en-mass with a separate script, but then we lose the custom code (quoting, font size, colour etc). I'll have a stab at fixing that, but if it proves too tricky then I'm assuming it's no big deal if the quotes etc don't all come over?

Edited by davejm, 21 October 2013 - 05:41 PM.

#36 davejm

davejm

Joy.Discovery.Invention

• Admin
  • 3,646 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:19 PM

I'm going to throw a curveball now, and suggest the possibility of an upgrade to the latest version of Invision. It's something we've talked about before in the staff forum. I must admit, I'm not totally sold on the free alternatives the more I've looked at SMF or Vanilla. The downside, obviously, is the cost. It will cost me $25 to re-activate my existing account with Invision, but then after 6 months we'd be unsupported (though the forum would still run) and it'd be another $25 if we wanted to upgrade the forum again.

What do you think? I know we'd decided on going for something that's free, but if the vast majority of the people here like IPB then I'm willing to pay the $25. If no-one is fussed and it's decided that switching to a free forum would be better then we can disregard this idea.

Regardless of price (lets say for example that IPB was free too, for the sake of discussion). Which would you guys prefer?

#37 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

Just as you suspected, everything I have told you is gibberish

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE(davejm @ Oct 21 2013, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Randy, how do you want to manage the existing content? It seems we have a couple of options:-

1) I can move all the current forums over with all the content, but then list them under a category called 'Archive' that is essentially hidden from most members. We can then create the new forums, but retain the ability to move individual threads over if needed. Impressions would be the only forum that would move over as it is.

This. I was going to suggest something along these lines in my last post, but couldn't think how to word it without potentially confusing matters. But yeah - transfer Impressions wholesale into the new Impressions area, chuck everything else into Archive. I'll then spend some time going through Archive and seeing which of the remaining threads could go into the new sections and which could stay in the archive.

If they could remain in date order within the archive - date of last post - that'd help me to work out which are still relevant and active.

#38 plopboy

plopboy

I'm from the, uh, Confidential Committee on Moral Abuses

• Admin
  • 3,497 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE(davejm @ Oct 21 2013, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm going to throw a curveball now, and suggest the possibility of an upgrade to the latest version of Invision. It's something we've talked about before in the staff forum. I must admit, I'm not totally sold on the free alternatives the more I've looked at SMF or Vanilla. The downside, obviously, is the cost. It will cost me $25 to re-activate my existing account with Invision, but then after 6 months we'd be unsupported (though the forum would still run) and it'd be another $25 if we wanted to upgrade the forum again.

What do you think? I know we'd decided on going for something that's free, but if the vast majority of the people here like IPB then I'm willing to pay the $25. If no-one is fussed and it's decided that switching to a free forum would be better then we can disregard this idea.

Regardless of price (lets say for example that IPB was free too, for the sake of discussion). Which would you guys prefer?

I suppose it depends how much time it would save you with the data transfer?

#39 davejm

davejm

Joy.Discovery.Invention

• Admin
  • 3,646 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:20 AM

The main problem seems to be the volume of data. I can move limited amounts of data around via simple INSERT and SELECT queries, but that's no good with large volumes. The convert script is massively buggy, and although I could spend hours reverse engineering it to get it to work, I don't really want to (or have the time). Lets say this is much harder than I thought it would be.

I'm wondering whether a total fresh start may be better, with a simple link back to the old GHZ archive. I could even look to JUST import the Impressions threads. Importing users is fine, so returning members would be able to log in.

#40 davejm

davejm

Joy.Discovery.Invention

• Admin
  • 3,646 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:35 AM

Also, I've been looking at some of the old classic gaming threads. Worth moving those over to the new gaming forum? Some stuff in other forums we can leave (as it's topical of the time) but with this type of stuff I think it's pretty timeless and would be a shame to lose - similar to the impressions threads.

#41 davejm

davejm

Joy.Discovery.Invention

• Admin
  • 3,646 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:26 AM

Another update....

I tried a test upgrade of IPB (I had a recent version on my PC from before my license expired) and it worked flawlessly. So I'm favouring upgrading as it'll be much less work.

#42 Singho

Singho

U CAN'T SEE MEEE!

• Admin
  • 11,144 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:01 PM

Go for it.

I can sort you out the funds for it.

#43 davejm

davejm

Joy.Discovery.Invention

• Admin
  • 3,646 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:16 PM

Just gonna install the latest version from a snapshot of the current site database, so you'll be able to see what it looks like and play around moving forums/threads around.

#44 Adrock

Adrock
  • Admin
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:05 PM

Im happy to go with it, as long as it wont weigh us down in the future. My main concern is cost, but the cost isnt too bad. Can we choose, sometime in the future after 6 months, to pay again to upgrade. Is there any time limit to letting it lapse?

#45 davejm

davejm

Joy.Discovery.Invention

• Admin
  • 3,646 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:23 PM

There's no time limit as far as I know. My license ran out in January, and I was able to reactivate it for $25 just now. I've paid for 6 months, and Singho seems happy to chip in, so if he can pick up the next invoice (or next activation, if it lapses again) then we're fine I reckon. 16 every now and again isn't that much at all for what we get to be honest. I was happy to look at free alternatives because I think at the time of IPB 2.x and 3.0 there were other boards that seemed just as good; but IPB does seem to be the best out there now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users