• Please log in to reply
233 replies to this topic

#16 Siri

Siri
  • Founding Member
  • 3,734 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:53 PM

SimpleMachines looks alright, but then so does Vanilla. Really, it's all down to whatever is good in terms of a quick and simple transferral of all the archive gumpf.

With the culmination of Web 2.0 and all that shit in the next generation, it's also nice to have something that can automatically handle video containers of all kinds - Twitch archive streams, Youtube, Vimeo and so on. I think with the current IPBoard, the only thing we have is Youtube, which was an awkward bolt-on anyway.

Edited by Siri, 15 October 2013 - 04:54 PM.

#17 davejm

davejm

Joy.Discovery.Invention

• Admin
  • 3,646 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE(bowser123 @ Oct 15 2013, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Massive shame that the impressions index tool no longer works and that it is looking so tricky to fix. Like everybody else my favourite part was the in depth discussions on games being played and that tool (along with to a lesser extent the one where every thread was manually linked) was a great feature. Sure there's search but that's not quite the same especially as I was often made aware of games simply by clicking on them from the index.

Are archived threads read only and you can't post to any more? Again, if this is the case, it'd be a massive shame for the impressions threads. Not really bothered about all the others but losing the ability to contribute to that content would be a kicker.

Then again all of what I've said is from a personal stance and you guys are trying to look at it in the wider context. I've joined next gen late and only really play current Nintendo games so I'm out of synch with the majority of the board. There's also the thing that I haven't posted properly for probably years now (though I still read regularly) and right now don't know when I will. That's not a fault of the board, more a thing that right now I don't really feel like posting anywhere, be it here, RLLMUK or wherever. I go through phases where I'll watch film/TV, play games, read, post on forums in my leisure time but I never do all that at the same. Funnily enough I'm probably gaming more now than I have for years but even then I don't really feel in the mood or able to actually write anything outside of the very generic.

There's no reason why I can't create a new impressions index. Even if we do away with the front page (so the forum is the front page, which I think is what Randy is getting at) I can create an impressions index that's similar to what we had before (which is broken) but that we link to from a forum sticky perhaps.

Perhaps we could look to migrate all the content over - but them hide stuff away (using any archive feature of the new forum) for the content we don't want. At least then we're not doing away with all the content leading to us regretting it later? We could perhaps then just keep the new impressions thread visible.

#18 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

Just as you suspected, everything I have told you is gibberish

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE(davejm @ Oct 15 2013, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even if we do away with the front page (so the forum is the front page, which I think is what Randy is getting at)

Yeah, that's spot on. I think the main url should point directly to the forum, not to a page before the forum. The front page is a hangover from previous attempts to expand the board's remit.

It's a shame that you don't feel like posting, bowser, because I don't think you're really in all that much of a different position than most other people here. Because the board's active membership is so small (and has been for two or three years, really), there are often times when none of us are playing the same games as each other. For instance, I'm almost exclusively about PC indie games now and Steam tells me that nobody else I know is playing - or, frequently, ever has played - the ones I'm spending time with. And, to an extent, it's been the same with console game discussions for a significant period of time.

I think one of the things that makes this a potentially strong board and makes its discussions feel meatier and better informed than on a lot of other boards is that we have such a breadth of experience across such a small number of dedicated members. You're the Nintendo guy. We all know that, I'm sure, and speaking personally I kind of rely on it, too - in the past, I've only heard about releases on Nintendo consoles because you've mentioned them.

Wrt archiving, would it be easier if we transfered everything across, then went through and moved threads that are to be archived into a dedicated area in a similar way to how a mod/staff member can move threads between areas now? Would that mean there are fewer technical hurdles to overcome, or does it make no difference?

Changing my mind about archiving Impressions threads. The weight of opinion seems to be for keeping the existing threads accessible and active, and I'm happy to go along with that.

#19 davejm

davejm

Joy.Discovery.Invention

• Admin
  • 3,646 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:17 PM

Yeah, I'm also thinking that it'd be good to keep the impressions forum and also the most recent of the other threads (completed thread, for example). If I'm going to do data migration, it makes sense to move content en-mass and then use the new forums archive feature. So we can move threads back in if we miss anything.

#20 Singho

Singho

U CAN'T SEE MEEE!

• Admin
  • 11,144 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:40 PM

Board wise, go with what you tech and art guys think is the best and easiest to use. Especially if it will be easier to add in tabs and features if required at a later date.

The front page can go, as it is a barrier to the forum and we don't have reviews or other content to pimp anyway.

Agree with Siri on making sure we use a software that can help us link different types of images and videos with no issues.

Agreed with impressions, I think if there is anything that survives archiving, it should be the impressions and the odd discussion thread. A new start would be good, can help freshen things up with a new board and hopefully, spark further discussion.

Don't post as much as I used to, but I don't post anywhere else but here for the same reasons discussed.

#21 Adrock

Adrock
  • Admin
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:37 PM

I'm inclined to go with SMF, after a quick install of vanilla I didnt like it.

#22 davejm

davejm

Joy.Discovery.Invention

• Admin
  • 3,646 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:35 PM

Sounds good to me. I'll start looking at the database schema with regard to the data migration. Can you send me details for the import script you used?

#23 Singho

Singho

U CAN'T SEE MEEE!

• Admin
  • 11,144 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:46 PM

Everything is deffo backed up in case of some random error yeah? lol

#24 davejm

davejm

Joy.Discovery.Invention

• Admin
  • 3,646 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:49 PM

Yeah, the existing data will still be there. At this stage we're talking about just copying data to a temp forum, and when we do go live with the new forum the old db and forum will be backed up.

Edited by davejm, 17 October 2013 - 07:49 PM.

#25 Adrock

Adrock
  • Admin
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:01 PM

Some slightly sensitive info so I stuck it in the forum that isn't public.

Gonna need some ideas for skinning it and maybe a banner too. So would definitely be grateful for some work on that. The GHZ banner needs to be static so I reckon ideas for what we should put on it will be helpful.

#26 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

Just as you suspected, everything I have told you is gibberish

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:53 PM

qazi and plop are the guys for banners. I'd say go for whatever shapes and sizes you think look best, then the forum can be molded around the one that's selected. That is, if you want to experiment.

#27 plopboy

plopboy

I'm from the, uh, Confidential Committee on Moral Abuses

• Admin
  • 3,497 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:52 PM

if you are going for sm there where lots of themes on their site, but asRandy says pick a theme the we can work out how to do the banners

#28 qazimod

qazimod

• Founding Member
  • 2,458 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:18 AM

Do any of these forum software solutions have mobile skins included or available to install? Don't really want to be creating more work for people but if the proposed upgrade is successful it might be something worth looking at in the future...

#29 Adrock

Adrock
  • Admin
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:02 AM

Im pretty sure most modern forum have mobile skins as default. SMF have a default imode, which formats for mobile I think.

But I imagine a decent theme will include a mobile version anyhow.

#30 Willei

Willei

This is what I think of games

• Founding Member
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:41 PM

Just wanted to check in here and say I still care about GHZ. I just got out of the habit of posting here when I broke my wrist and couldn't type for six weeks about this time last year. I would have posted sooner too but I'm off on holiday now, this post is brought to you from sunny/swampy Louisiana!

I'm all for updating the forum software and it sounds like there are some issues that make that a necessity now, but I feel the problem this place has is getting new users. People seems to stick around for a while if they do go ahead and make a few posts though. I don't know if the problem is not getting enough eyeballs on the site or if new visitors just don't like what they see here though!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users