• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#271 Oracle

Oracle
  • 935 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:33 AM

i'm 70/30 >enjoying this at the moment

I want to finish it so I can move on smile.gif

one thing that does annoy me is that you never really have any idea how far you are in the game.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

#272 Electric Boogaloo

Electric Boogaloo

Uncle Benon

• Founding Member
  • 5,277 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 01:41 PM

I quite liked that I didn't know how far I was through the game, apart from the way I had to schedule my BioShock playing time got a bit 'broke' smile.gif

#273 Oracle

Oracle
  • 935 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 02:11 PM

yeah i guess it adds to the sense of seperation from the real world.

#274 Oracle

Oracle
  • 935 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:27 AM

one thing that does annoy me is the telekenisis thing

you cant bloody use it! as whatever you pick up blocks your view, and even if it didnt the game is mostly in the dark so you cant see it!

#275 Crispin

Crispin

I need laid.

• Donator
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 11:18 PM

Completed the game. I did not enjoy it overly. Item quests, large environments, backtracking, surprising limitations in what powers could do, your way continually being blocked and radio chatter that JUST... WON'T... SHUT... UP!

There were parts of the game where I was wondering "Why am I doing this sub-quest again?". The radio conversations often came at inopportune moments when fighting enemies who were gleefully screaming their heads off. I just followed the yellow arrow from time to time.

I didn't use a lot of the powers, didn't even bother buying them. They sounded like gimmicks. Taking photos was more of a chore than fun, in the end I just took multiple shots of the same enemies.

It just wasn't as smart as it was making itself out to be. Combat also wasn't too satisfying, and aiming was often fiddly.

However, I did like the setting's style, the posters, the jingles, the diaries (how many times must Dr Suchong have died in all his experiments gone wrong XD), and the first boss was not enjoyable, but the build up was, with the diaries documenting exactly how and why he became a nutcase. The penultimate section was interesting and had some enjoyable overtones and a little bit of the universe being expanded out, if a little dull in its execution.

It's an example of where gameplay has become secondary to atmosphere. Edited highlights are enjoyable, but taken all together, I found most of the game a chore.

Edited by Crispin, 25 November 2007 - 11:19 PM.

#276 Singho

Singho

U CAN'T SEE MEEE!

• Admin
  • 11,144 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 12:27 AM

I stopped playing only a few hours into it. My main deal with the whole game was the shockingly crap use of vitachambers, but look...!

http://www.shacknews...article.x/50153

Publisher 2K Games sends word that a few BioShock patches will be released next week, in addition to a free downloadable content pack for the hit game.

2K community manager Elizabeth Tobey tells Shacknews that the DLC will at least include extra plasmids for players to mess around with, a way to disable Vita-Chambers for hardcore play, and bug fixes.

The patches will also address the game's field-of-vision perspective, following an intense bout of controversy over the way BioShock handles its widescreen display.

A title update to the Xbox 360 version will be released alongside the DLC, while the PC patch will come bundled with the content. Expect a patch list to be posted on The Cult of Rapture website when the downloads go live.

Yay!

#277 Crispin

Crispin

I need laid.

• Donator
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE(Singho @ Dec 1 2007, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I stopped playing only a few hours into it. My main deal with the whole game was the shockingly crap use of vitachambers, but look...!

http://www.shacknews...article.x/50153
Yay!

Yeah, but ramping up the difficulty doesn't actually make the game any more fun to play, nor fix the more obvious flaws: namely that it's fucking dull for the most part.

#278 Le Spank

Le Spank
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 09:50 AM

A belated 'initial impressions' type post from myself because I recieved this game for Xmas and have managed to put a good 4-6 hours in to it since.

Nearly all my feeling towards this are favourable so far. I love the setting and the way the characters are introduced over radio and tape reminds me of Lost in that you are given away patches of a backstory enough to intruige you but it never gives away a complete linear story in the way most games do. This has made me quite excited and given me the urge to keep playing throughout.

I quite like the combat with the bad guys, not because the plasmid are different or great but because of the enemies. Its not like strafing whilst pumping them with lead, you do actually have to think about what you're going to do when you encounter them. Especially big daddys, when you see one you know you're in for a hard time so the fact they're friendly untill you fire upon them is quite amusing. Do I have enough Ammo? Is anyone else around? Is there enough space (going head to head with a BD in a small corridoor isnt much fun)? Big or small though, the enemies have all surprised me with excellent AI smile.gif

Graphically its ace, I think that's a given. Right up there with Gears of War in the wow stakes. I had one horribly jerky moment though when facing a big daddy on the 2nd level. That resulted in my death unfairly but it was a one-off.

At the moment I'm in a part of the game "Arcadia", which I'm finding quite hard as I'm low on Eve, Money, Health, Adam, Ammo, you name it and the bad guys are getting stronger. But this is the first time I've started to get anywhere near frustrated.

#279 shadowman

shadowman
  • 1,275 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:08 AM

I've finally got round to starting this game and I can't believe I left it so long.

First off the atmosphere is excellent, its one of the few FPS games where I make sure to take it slow and explore everywhere as much as possible to take in all the sights. That said I was surprised at just how large most of the area's seem to be, usually instead of following whatever objective I have I instead wander off in the opposite direction though thankfully it seems that its always worth exploring as there seems to be lots of optional plasmids, ammo, Big Daddies etc. roaming around the levels to make it worth my while.

The actual action is a mixed bag for me so far. I love the different plasmids you get but the guns all feel a bit weird when it comes to aiming. The other thing that annoys me a bit is the Big Daddies being so damn strong! Some of them can wipe out my health in 1-2 hits and its then my decision to either heal or just die and respawn and carry on the fight.
Which brings me onto the Vita Chambers. I'm not quite sure what to think of them, on the one hand it keeps the frustration of gun fights low knowing that I can never truly die, but on the other hand it cheapens things somewhat knowing that I never really have to be careful knowing that no matter what I do I can never really screw up, just respawn and carry on as if nothing had happening (Not since Prey has dying meant so little!)

Then there are the plasmids. I was under the impression that perhaps you could use them to interact with the environment more than you actually can - Like using the Ice powerup to freeze water etc. Its not that I don't enjoy them in their current form but remembering back to all the pre release talk I swear they hyped them up like there was no tomorrow. Still, there are plenty that I enjoy using - Lighting seems dead handy in almost all situations, the ice blast seems good for low level enemies and I really do like unleashing a hord of killer bee's on groups of enemies to watch them flail around!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users