Crackdown

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#1 Jakeway

Jakeway

Gentleman First

• 6,460 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 02:52 PM

I am not really a fan on this type of game. I donít really enjoy them because I find them far to long and repetitive. Also none of them seems to have improved or evolved since GTAIII, and for me Crackdown is no exception. In an attempt to be different Crackdown has a twist. This time you are a good guy with Super Abilities, so you can jump high and lift heavy things. The more you play the higher you jump and the heavier you lift.

So once I downloaded the demo (about an hour) I drove about a bit, shot some baddies and some civilians, nicked some cars, climbed some building and then turned it off. I found it pretty unremarkable reallyÖ it's like a cross between Grand Theft Auto Vice City and Spider-Man 2 The Game Of The Movie.

BUT on the plus side it runs extremely well. You can also drive extremely fast in some of the cars and there is no pop in, or judder. Loading times are also extremely short. Although the graphics are not mind-blowing I think the game has a nice style. It seems ever so slightly cell-shaded and gives off a comic book look. I donít think you can really appreciate its look unless you see the game in motion.

The one feature that could be this games saving grace is that you can play Co-Op via XBL. I am not sure as to what that means but I imagine a two player drive by, which in my mind seems fun. I think it also has a races across town and death matches too.

If you really like this sort of game then no doubt you will like this. As for meÖ I think I will just wait for GTA4 as it seems to be the only one I enjoy.

#2 Chadruharazzeb

Chadruharazzeb

Kosher burger - with cheese!!!

• 3,504 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 03:04 PM

That looks fucking atrocious.

#3 Ciaran

Ciaran
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:27 PM

Played this with a friend online earlier and I absolutely loved it. By far the most fun I've had with a game in a long time.

Graphics are fantastic, co op is silky smooth and really gives you a feeling of power as you level up and can kick cars/people, scale buildings and throw stuff around. This has become and must buy for me.

#4 Kiddy Kong

Kiddy Kong
  • 270 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 10:54 PM

Graphics in the screens don't do it justice, you have to see them in motion ph34r.gif

#5 Paul3704

Paul3704
  • Donator
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 10:58 PM

The graphics in the screens Jake posted have put me off gaming for the forseeable future.

All the adverts going on about HD gaming and Jumping In to the next gen, and we end up with matchstick men (with guns) and matchstick cats and dogs.

Might change my opinion when I play it.

#6 Siri

Siri
  • Founding Member
  • 3,734 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:25 PM

I wasn't very clued up on this game initially, and I thought it would be another ZOE incident, but after playing the demo I was quite positive about it.

as Kong mentions, although the game's poor in terms of art direction and general face value, in motion it's very impressive - a solid, fast framerate in most situations, and the slight cel'd look of it makes it look fantastic (although I do find that nighttime makes the game look rather dank and ropey, it's when daylight and bright neon hits the landscape it starts to shine). There's a serious amount of stuff getting thrown around - the second you step into gang territory it feels like you're in some sort of Shmup 'Bullet Hell', in 3D.

Also, the sandbox aspect and levelling your abilities to superhuman levels is *really* fun. Can't be bothered to fight all the way to Manuel Martinez on that large building? fuck it - get a few of those agility coupons, then just fucking JUMP to where he is, and pump him full of sexy lead justice. Heck, I would imagine that with enough strength, you could grab a car and plant it straight on his noggin to boot.

Targeting is a bit shonky on firearms, but with enough practice it's workable - you can't select-cycle through close enemies like in more recent GTAs, meaning you have to repeatedly ease then press the L-Trigger after you eliminate an enemy. However, what *is* a welcome edition is the ability to fire with a reasonable aim with any firearm while jumping.

Likewise, although there's no jumping melee to mess around with (lame!), it's redeemed by context-sensitive melee, but more importantly the ability to pick up the dead. then lob them at a random crowd, from the top of a pier. Like Saint's Row, Crackdown as a ragdoll physics engine, meaning some side-splitting explosions for ultimate toilet humour. Also, for maximum win, there's a levelling category for explosions - the higher you level, the bigger the bangs get.

In all, I'm enjoying this far more than the Saint's Row demo just for the sandbox play, at the very, very least. Does anybody want to meet up tomorrow for some Co-Op to piss-arse about and blow up some Gang cars in the name of the law?

#7 PirateKitten

PirateKitten

Wow wow wee waa!

• 613 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:57 AM

It's a fun little game, but I can see it getting old. The gun-fighting is just too all-over-the-place at close-range. Once I built my speed up I got more out of it by running around booting everyone to death.

I did spend the last 20 minutes of the demo enjoying jumping all over the place collecting agility orbs tho.

£39.99 though? No thanks, when it's £20 I'll pick it up. Maybe. I don't know what it is but there's something quite indie and "shareware" about it that makes £40 stick in my throat a bit. (That and I'm yet to pay over £35 for a 360 game ).

Good comprehensive demo though, they should be congratulated for that. Plenty of play time there.

#8 Beelzebot

Beelzebot
  • 117 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 01:10 PM

Yeah, I enjoyed the demo, but I'm really not sure it's worth spending nearly £40 on. I'll wait for it to be discounted I think.

#9 Guest_Rathen_*

Guest_Rathen_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2007 - 03:35 PM

Downloading now, will report soon! *salutes*

#10 Chadruharazzeb

Chadruharazzeb

• 3,504 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:57 PM

The demo is actually pretty good. It tells me that I've got 30 mins left to play now, which is rather disconcerting.

#11 Ciaran

Ciaran
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:28 PM

It gives you 30minutes to play after you get any of your skills to 2 stars.

#12 Moodmon

Moodmon
  • Founding Member
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 11:58 PM

Had a go solo, and it is absolutely tremendous fun. Getting as many agility orbs as possible is a game in itself, never kind the shooting stuff. As has been mentioned the L trigger targetting could do with a bit of work, but as you always have the recharging health thing it isn't the big a deal. What I want to see is what happens when you get the driving skill up, the video at the end suggests a car of death. Me wants.

#13 Chadruharazzeb

Chadruharazzeb

• 3,504 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:13 AM

Yeah, the targetting sucks cocks in hell.

Agility orbs ftw though, climbing up buildings is a blast. As is chucking cars and corpses, rofflcopter etc omg.

How the hell do you change weapon? You seem to carry two guns but for the life of me I couldn't work out how to swap between them.

#14 Ciaran

Ciaran
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:43 AM

QUOTE(Chadruharazzeb @ Jan 25 2007, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How the hell do you change weapon? You seem to carry two guns but for the life of me I couldn't work out how to swap between them.

X

tongue.gif

#15 Chadruharazzeb

Chadruharazzeb

• 3,504 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:50 AM

You're kidding, right? I thought that just let you swap when there was a gun on the floor!

Great big hairy lesbian mammoths bollocks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users