• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#181 Garibaldi

Garibaldi

All hail King Biscuit!

• Founding Member
  • 2,365 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:01 PM

Just completed this again in Co-Op with my cousin, it was an utter delight with us both verbalising our tactics and congratulating each other on particularly fine frags or headshots.

I really need to get into the multiplayer of this, but part of me doesn't want to bother as Epic still haven't fixed the fucking thing - how difficult is it to have a group which can travel between games? Too difficult, it seems!

#182 Le Spank

Le Spank
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:12 PM

QUOTE(Garibaldi Biscuit @ Mar 7 2007, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I really need to get into the multiplayer of this, but part of me doesn't want to bother as Epic still haven't fixed the fucking thing - how difficult is it to have a group which can travel between games? Too difficult, it seems!

It's incredibly easy if you want to play 'for fun'. Set up a player match then invite all your buddies.

If you want to play ranked matches and get your achievements then it's very hard to play as a group. This is intentional on Epics part of course but the only possible way you are going to do it is say to your pals, "I'm creating x gametype, on y map, with z number of rounds" and hope that they are clever enough to search the lobbys and find you. Even then its hit or miss becase of the sheer number of open games at any one time thanks to the popularity of the game.

I hope this doesn't stop you though, I frequently play multiplayer with strangers and the majority of the time I have had very good experiences. This game is not plagued with cleaters at all, the only cheat I know of is 'running and shot-gunning or running and chain sawing', which I have only encountered a handful of times.

#183 Jakeway

Jakeway

Gentleman First

• 6,460 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 06:07 PM

Just a quick update to let everyone know that as of this Monday the extra four maps that came out some months ago are free.

The map pack will sell for 800 Microsoft points ($10) until September 3, at which point it will be made free to download.

From

#184 Treble

Treble
  • 800 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 06:58 PM

Nice one, cheers for the reminder. I'm not sure how much online I'll bother with without being able to properly meet up with friends, but I might try and snag a few more achievements using the new levels.

#185 Jakeway

Jakeway

Gentleman First

• 6,460 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 03:22 PM

No one has really said much about these new maps. So I thought I would... They’re really nice.

Garden
Not too keen on this level, its fairly big but has a pretty boring design. It has its own unique element in that there are two special rooms that are full of poisonous gas and house the sniper. If you flick three switches found on the level, you can turn off the gas for about 30secs. It’s a bit rubbish really.
When you play on Annex mode, one of the hills is usually found in the gas room. So players can’t hang around in there for so long. I was killed by the gas coming back on, and although I respawned far away from the hill, I was still building time... this happened three times in total. They really need to patch that.

Subway
Both the underground and ground level areas based around a subway. The underground has broken old trains and is a dripping crumbling concrete chaos. At ground level it’s raining and has the same level of destruction most of the other urban areas in this game have. Pretty nice level, pretty big too. Maybe one of the biggest the multiplayer has? The rain makes it quite hard to see your enemy, which is great as it allows you to hide for slightly longer then you might on a clearer level.

Bullet Marsh
A marsh land and hill. A very nice looking level, although the water sometimes looks a bit thick... like the jelly found in a pork pie. This level has heavy rain and irritating thunder that goes off every 15secs. It also has lots of dark areas and a well lit path that guides you around. Its not a good idea to go too far from the paths or the circling Kryill will get you. Visibility is very low and you could quite easily stand feet away from an opponent and they’d never notice.

Cant find a good picture, levels too dark.

Process
Nice big level. Very colourful, or as colourful as GoW gets. Its really just a big square, divided up with pipes, metal walls, and pillars… but I don’t mind that so much. Makes for some very nice stand offs.

There are also new achievements for the 6 downloadable maps, 250 points worth. They’re pretty basic, things like play all the maps, win 20 games, white wash etc. These achievements are unranked so you can get them with your buddies. Shame most cba to play it, I still think its one of the best MP games to come out in a long time.

#186 Le Spank

Le Spank
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 04:02 PM

Man i still really love this game. Should give the new maps a workout as I haven't played it in months sad.gif

#187 Singho

Singho

U CAN'T SEE MEEE!

• Admin
  • 11,144 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:24 AM

I put this on again the other week to show a mate "what he was missing!"...but I was totally useless at it.

I really remember the controls being awesome on this, but my aiming with the standard grunt gun was pathetic. Took a few tries, fiddled with the normal inverted axis...nope, aiming felt really twitchy and not at all how I remembered it. I was a demon with the sniper and torque bow!

Strange as I had no problem with it when playing through first time and in multiplayer. Just thought I would pop it in here and see if anyone else will find the same problem when they return to it.

Can't be that I've become accustomed to a different sensitivity of the X\Y axis on games like COD4 and Halo 3...I've not touched those in months.

#188 Valken

Valken

FEVER TIME!

• 3,037 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 08:39 AM

It's all the fighters you play! tongue.gif

#189 Singho

Singho

U CAN'T SEE MEEE!

• Admin
  • 11,144 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:34 AM

Nah Valken, honest! Try it out tonight.

Get the main chainsaw gun, hide behind some cover and try and aim and shoot someone without spazzing the camera about.

...maybe it was just me. ;/

Have those maps become free yet btw anyone know?

#190 Gunstar

Gunstar

Running out of Turbo

• 845 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE(Lyrical Donut @ Jan 22 2007, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I found GoW really underwhelming.

Heavily scripted, laughable AI (from both the enemy and your team), and just really boring / repetitive to play after the first few levels. I never did finish it before selling it on... I really just couldn't be arsed with it. :/

The movement was just too clunky, and the context sensitive stuff tended to fuck me over more than actually helping matters. The environments, while impressive to a degree, just looked really bland.

Co-op was OK, and did improve the game a bit, but definitely not enough to save it, for me.

I've been told to "play it in HD" by a few friends. I really can't see how that's actually going to turn the game around for me, though, and I sure as hell wasn't about to go splashing out on an HDTV just incase. unsure.gif

Nice tech demo for UE3 though, I guess, and at least it didn't really tear too much! Yay! wink.gif

*runs away* tongue.gif

I pretty much agree with Lyrical. I don't get the hype for this game at all, it's an above average shooter dressed in some nice clothes. The environments are well setup for the cover system but it's not that interesting in terms of combat, all the enemies feel like huge damage sponges and most of the guns (torque bow/Sniper rifle excluded) feel like you're firing plastic pellets, there's no feedback to impacts.

The character 'quip' when getting a perfect reload is hilarious though "SHIT YEAH".

#191 Valken

Valken

FEVER TIME!

• 3,037 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:19 PM

QUOTE(Singho @ Sep 3 2008, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nah Valken, honest! Try it out tonight.

Get the main chainsaw gun, hide behind some cover and try and aim and shoot someone without spazzing the camera about.

...maybe it was just me. ;/

Have those maps become free yet btw anyone know?

Alright, I'll give it a go tonight and see. How long did you play it for so I can give it the same amount of time?

#192 Singho

Singho

U CAN'T SEE MEEE!

• Admin
  • 11,144 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:06 PM

Around about 20 minutes. 2nd Act on Hardcore.

#193 Valken

Valken

FEVER TIME!

• 3,037 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:09 AM

Right, the disc is ready to go but the housemate was watching movies when I got home so I can't put Gears to the test for a few more nights. I fully expect to think "He's talking shit" then spend the 20 minutes making Marcus look at the sky and his feet while sticking to cover when I don't want to.

#194 hankwang

hankwang

please stop typing William

• Founding Member
  • 8,666 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 01:36 AM

Knew I was right. You'll see. YOU'LL ALL SEE!

Fucking out of touch gamers...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users