Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#1 Ravon

Ravon

Come On !!!!!!

• 2,653 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 01:24 PM

After months of sitting around watching various trailers and reading snippets on the Internet of what may be coming via our next installment with snake, yesterday for me was the day shopto.net wub.gif made 2008 worth while. Not my recent holiday in Thailand, not even me completing my stupid god forsaken mortgage, it was the day MGS4 plopped through my next door neighbors letterbox, nobody was in to sign for it..

I had prepared my girlfriend before hand, " im sorry but you wont be getting anything out of me for some time, Snake is coming to stay and that means i will have to stop talking to you, looking at you or even eating with you, i hope you understand" Her reply was " so whats new ".. Winner

I settle down, insert the game and proceed .......

Greeted with a older gentleman on screen sprouting a mustash on a war torn face, sporting the latest in this seasons headband attire and smoking a fag.. We continue on with the install... This is broke up into chapters, the first is around the 10 min mark, then a smaller install of 3-5 mins after the completion of said chapter. But the loading times between section is only a few seconds.

Moving on, upon starting the game greeted with the normal difficulty settings..
Liquid - Very Easy
Naked - Easy
Solid - Normal for us awesome UK/EU players
Big Boss - Hard
Rumor has it that another will be unlocked on completion

Game starts, cut scene time, around the 20 min mark,
Basically give a loose impression of what liquid has been upto in the middle east. don't wanna spoil any of the story but its deep and complex as it should be.. and thats right at the start
A few faces we have seen before give you your briefing
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
During the briefing, you are also given snakes controls, these are brought to you via a scrolling bar, the screen splits itself into 3, briefing, various cctv camera feeds and the subtitles\controls

The Middle East - Chapter 1
The game start with you on the back of a truck driving through a shit storm of bullets and explosions, Its basically what we were given in April as a trailer..

The first thing that struck me was how it looks, graphically outstanding, but its also got a few neat touches in there as well, As the camera swings along the floor you notice a very faint glare from the lens, small grains of sand are blown onto the camera and the fall away with the breeze, it all adds to the cinematic experience kojima loves.

Truck stops, soldiers get shot at, some die, Snake looks around with his " i have seen all this before " face on, and you then have to proceed to your destination. You have a few tools to aid you on your way, the solid eye been the most noticeable one, runs off batteries when in use, 3 modes, normal mode ( they have done away with the old MGS radar with the guards 45degree view reticle, and its been replaced with a threat indicator, basically some blobs to show where a threat it and the bigger the blob the more of a threat it poses to you) Binocular mode, and night vision. You do have a normal map to view but guards are not shown on it. You also have a close proximity threat indicator in the form of a circle that surrounds snake, depending on the threat and direction the indicator will peek.

Thats all i can be bothered with at the moment, go and play the game..

"its metal gear, snake is old and his pants are tight. Been playing for 40 hours, tis alright, metal gear innit. how do you shoot? AHAA"

#2 Chadruharazzeb

Chadruharazzeb

Kosher burger - with cheese!!!

• 3,504 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 02:16 PM

Well done you dumb fuck!!

"Mustash". lol.

#3 Corrupt Rose

Corrupt Rose

Invaders must be scolded sternly

• 3,031 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 02:38 PM

Good impressions, but 40 hours in already? You're hardcore.

Got this sat in my bag at the moment (I know I said I wasn't going to buy it), but I've got no idea when I'm going to have time to sit down and play it properly. Still, from the sounds like MGS, but bigger and better than ever, so I'm looking forward to it, especially as the cutscenes don't seem to be too crushing from the off.

I wonder if Metal Gear Online is going to be much good...

#4 Ravon

Ravon

Come On !!!!!!

• 2,653 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 02:48 PM

lol no im not 40 hours in .. only 6

#5 Corrupt Rose

Corrupt Rose

• 3,031 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 02:49 PM

You can't be hardcore any more then, sorry. I've clearly mis-understood your quotation marked statement back there.

#6 Ravon

Ravon

Come On !!!!!!

• 2,653 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 02:51 PM

I am hardcore you take that back..

#7 Corrupt Rose

Corrupt Rose

• 3,031 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE(Ravon @ Jun 12 2008, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am hardcore you take that back..

At the risk of de-railing this thread, it sounds to me as though you're Telling Us You're Hardcore. We all await proof, preferably on IRC.

#8 Chadruharazzeb

Chadruharazzeb

Kosher burger - with cheese!!!

• 3,504 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:29 PM

Ravon is too busy eating snakes to bother with IRC.

I eagerly await the chance to post my opinions of the game so I'll be back round about xmas.

#9 Fuddle

Fuddle

Schizotypal

• 1,608 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:19 PM

i've done a very tiny little bit so far, hoping my dual shock 3 arrives in tomorrows post.

loved the install screen ( unsure.gif ), and the weird bits at the beginning. but its settled down into normal metal gear solid now. me sneaking around and still getting seen, resulting in running around beating up every enemy. its good though.

i havent really looked into it too much, so i've no idea whats to come, which means i'll be trying not to read any more of this thread till i've done it all.
blush.gif

#10 Ravon

Ravon

Come On !!!!!!

• 2,653 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:31 PM

im at quite a big wtf moment in chapter 3..

#11 Singho

Singho

U CAN'T SEE MEEE!

• Admin
  • 11,144 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:32 PM

Who started the thread!!?!!?!

RAVON!?! RAVON!!!!?! RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!!!!!!!!!!! (shabba!)

Just had a very quick go on the actual game and I lol'd at the 5 seconds worth of gameplay where you had to crawl under a truck only for it to be sandwiched inbetween another long cutscene! biggrin.gif

It was all scene setting stuff, the encounter of Snake vs the Geckos. I have to admit, even though I've played all of the modern day Metal Gears, the first section of this game had me stumped! I tried to pick up guns and I was unable to select them using the shoulder buttons. All I had was the stun knife, so I ran up to a Gecko and stab it in the knee, only to be greeted by light speed round house kick to the tits.

I had no idea what to do, I started to follow the arrow radar and it just led me to a dead end. :| It was only after much faffing about, running around that I randomly got to the trigger point where the next cutscene would take place. Got there through sheer luck, the radar or Otocon didn't advise me one bit.

I think the game didn't automatically put a gun in my inventory slot because I wasn't meant to use one. But I went through the start menu and swapped out the knife for a gun I had found. No chance thats how you swap in and out weapons if the older games are anything to go by.

This game is going to be very disorientating for anyone new to the series I imagine, and a few vets when they get started. Lots of context sensative buttons keep flashing up as you walke passed objects and people, didn't get a chance to register what all the commands were though.

Game looks quite stunning from the opening graveyard shot with the wind blowing petals across the screen. Most impressive part was watching my brother play it just now, and he was totally oblivious that the cutscene had ended and he was back in control, really well done that was. (the hud was a give away, but even still, seemless!) The Gecko entrance was still fucking great, even though I've seen it numerous times on the trailers, can't wait to take one down. biggrin.gif

I'm just on a flash back bit now, gonna watch that cutscene again as I had the volume low, but yeah, they are looking for Naomi to sort out Snake's FoxDie problem...well, thats the gist of it I think.

Just dragging the PS3 upstairs and gonna play it for a few hours, would love to do an all nighter but I gotta get up for work about 7.

#12 Singho

Singho

U CAN'T SEE MEEE!

• Admin
  • 11,144 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:55 PM

Aight, just replayed that first section, and Otocon did say to head north. Did not hear him the first time round I was playing and as soon as I got "north", Snake picked up a gun.

I.am.nob.

Oh and yay for pausable and skippable cutscenes! happy.gif

#13 Singho

Singho

U CAN'T SEE MEEE!

• Admin
  • 11,144 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 01:19 AM

Now things are gettting somewhere, although I think knowledge of the previous games controls is hindering me in this one. Quite a few different and new movements and moves keep coming out when I didn't want them and the old trusty "back to the wall" shuffle has been replaced by a sort of wall hug.

You can do "the worm" by going prone and slowly moving the analog stick forward. You can also flip onto your back by pressing Triangle. To play DEAD you hold the triangle. I still have no idea how CQC works, still dazzled by that from MGS3. I seem to keep doing the same move, no control or takedowns.

Heck, not managed to do the class neck crank yet, keep pressing the wrong buttons I think. So at the moment I am fighting controls that I was accustommed to in the older games, although the new layout is working well with things I understand. I also think it was a mistake to make the close up 3rd, first and camera controls to invert.

Not been able to sneak through the game outside the first two sections. Caused so much mayhem trying to be all stealthy and I think I might have missed out on some interesting chatter in the militia camp that I managed to sneak into. Saw a very interesting piece of broken equipment on the table though...metal, wing shaped, yet...alive. Might have to reload a save and see if I can get through it better or just to check if I did indeed miss out on somthing.

Oh, never noticed the first time though, but a very "HIDEO" and "Fission Mailed" type of randomness occurs when you firsst start the game. Those PMC adverts, an interview with David Hayter by one very sly and evil looking woman who makes him feel very uneasy during the interview is available to watch. Accidently pressed a button during it and I "think" I skipped some channels and onto a new bit of programming (PMC advert) with HIDEO in the corner. Wierd.

From the news thread...

QUOTE(Singho @ May 29 2008, 12:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some adverts of the various PMCs (Private Milatary Companies) in the game.

Pieuvre Armement PMC : See the beauty of combat.
Werewolves: Do you like what you see outside your window?
Otselotovaya Khvatka : No peace without war.

Heh, really have that "This is Living" & "The 3rd place" vibe to them. Never really thought about it before, but different companies should have different types of enemies instead of the same grunts with different weapons. Well, they should have them too, but along with their own specific special forces like "The Frog" squad that were shown in that trailer a while back.

Game hasn't blown me away yet, although the same thing happened for me on MGS3, once I was out of the first introductory area, pace of the story, character development and action moves up a gear soon got me amped and excited to be playing it.

Man...I can't believe how silent this machine is. happy.gif

#14 Singho

Singho

U CAN'T SEE MEEE!

• Admin
  • 11,144 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:28 PM

Man, got back in played for another half an hour and trying to play the game stealthily at the moment is a bit overwhelming.

You have a Threat Ring surrounding Snake, and depending on where the threat\enemies\noise is, the ring will start to fluctuate in that area to show you where in relation the danger is from where you are standing.

It's not helped me so far, i've only used it as an indicator to check if theres enemies around the corner. But I've totally did not use it when enemies start running from behind you.

It's quite confusing, I'm trying to play the game all stealthily but keep getting caught out by enemies running around the corner who spot me from a mile off even though I'm in sneak mode, and then to top it all off, they are easily fooled if you just run around the corner, hug the wall to change the camo and they run straight passed you.

It still feels like the modern day Metal Gears, it's just that now with the active and larger battlefield with enemies running everywhere, fully controllable camera...it feels at the moment that there is too much going on and I can't keep focused on whether I should run and gun or be stealthy. At the moment it's been more trial and error, if I survive one area by shooting my way out I carry on. If I end up dieing in the next area, I just sneak my way around the edges or vice versa.

I don't like the controls for aiming and shooting now either. When you arm the gun with L1, it goes into a GRAW type over the shoulder cam which is fine, but from playing with the heavy weaponary I've come across so far, it doesn't feel as precise to shoot with. The FPS mode which is triggered when you hit triangle is better though, just like how it was in MGS2 and 3. I miss being able to half hold the square button to get the aim up without it zooming behind Snake...although thinking about it I think you can do that...

I dunno, everything feels so odd with it being on the shoulder buttons and then using the analog sticks at the same time to adjust the camera. Think I will have to go into the button config and see if I can adjust things.

I'm a bit tired, gonna play it properly when I've rested a bit. Not happy with it at the moment at all, just quite dissapointed and deflated. ;/

#15 Ravon

Ravon

Come On !!!!!!

• 2,653 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 10:18 AM

you sir must be coming down with something

Edited by Ravon, 14 June 2008 - 10:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users