• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 TheShend

TheShend

You know it is, it really is!

• Founding Member
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 01:07 PM

Top and tail of it: Tim Langdell, an IGDA board member and head of 'Edge Games' believes that the word 'Edge' is a trademark of his and threatened to sue a small indie iPhone developer 'Mobigame' as their game, 'Edge', infringed Dr Langdell's mark. Small indie never heard of Langdell or his company, which isn't unusual because he hasn't released sweet FA for over 15 years, but Mobigame offered to change the name to 'Edgy' to resolve the issue, Langdell said no and then trademarked the name 'Edgy' a day or 2 later, all the while the game had to be taken off the app store despite it fast becoming a the next big thing. Langdell's correspondence has been very threatening and in pursuit of a quick financial resolution, either to licence the word 'Edge' from him or give over 25% of the revenue from the game as compensation etc.

So a man on a board to help indie developers royally screws over the small guy for a quick buck, but, it turns out he's been doing for years and getting away with it, using a false professionalism/credibility to swing it and also target titles in the periods where delays are too costly and a settlement would be a lot easier.
Soul Edge is Soul Blade/Calibur here and the US because of him and the list goes on and on and on.

Now the internet is angry!

Eurogamer
TIG article.
Escapist Article
Slidetoplay article

Other anecdotes include: Phil Harrison threw him out of a Sony bash for screwing over his brother-in-law; his wife created and edited Tim's wiki page for self promotional purposes, now since removed; he's claimed to have made of 700 games, but people can only find a tenth of the figure; he's got a restraining order from a client who he created a website for, all sorts of shit.

Rollmop has a good thread on this, get your popcorn.

Edited by TheShend, 05 August 2009 - 01:11 PM.

#2 TheShend

TheShend

• Founding Member
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 01:22 PM

His long awaited rebuttal!

And I would appreciate someone telling me (in confidence, off forum, if you prefer) who sent this email to the membership. It is full of lies about me and Edge and I would like to see transparency rise to the level of Brian admitting who sent it.

For instance the email states: "they leverage this trademark against any [sic] media that contains this word--threatening legal action should their target not enter into a licensing arrangement with the studio". This is simply not true -- Edge Games follows the usual rules for legally enforcing its trademark rights but its completely reasonable and legal actions have been twisted not just to make Edge Games look bad, but to try to make me personally look bad.

And the writer says against "any media"? Really? Any? The writer wants you to believe Edge Games has sued newspapers, television channels, radio stations ... any media? That's utterly absurd. Just as absurd as the rumor that went round that we sued Edge of U2. Edge's rights are primarily in games, game hardware and comics. The idea that we threaten to sue people in "any media" over the trademark Edge was said maliciously solely to try to make the reader angry and encourage them to sign the petition. And let's put that other false statement to rest that Edge is lawsuit happy. In the last 30 years to my best recollection Edge has sued one company. A large one that could not be remotely called an indie developer. All the other actions have been trademark disputes before trademark registries and not lawsuits. Every game company, small and large, if they are active in protecting their trademarks, does these trademark disputes all the time. You have to or you lose your trademark.

And, no, Edge does not have any lawsuit against Mobigames, that is another fiction invented to get the indie game community angry.

The fact is when a company infringes another company's registered trademark rights the trademark owner has to, by law, protect those rights or they lose them. To protect your trademark rights you have to send the offending party a 'cease and desist letter'. And such a letter has to identify the trademarks you own, ask the other party to stop using your mark, and make at least some threat of action or else the cease and desist letter is potentially not valid. That is normal procedure and every day tens of thousands of companies across the world send out cease and desist letters. Edge Games is not some oddity in doing this, it has merely been doing what the law requires it to do.

There is also not one shred of truth to the accusation that Edge Games (or I personally) act against the interests of indie game developers -- quite the contrary. Over the past 30 years Edge Games has funded numerous indie developers, and the videogame classes I've taught at universities the past 17 years have graduated hundreds of students many of whom went on to careers in the game industry as part of the indie scene. Although quite a few ended up working for large studios, too.

Edge Games does not wait for indie developers to use our trademark and then hit them with a demand to pay money or face legal action. That is not true and only said to defame Edge. Note that all the examples the writer of the email gave of companies Edge is supposed to have attacked (20th Century Fox, Namco, Marvel, EA) are not the small indie developers they would like you to think Edge takes action against.

Further, Edge has developed and published several games in the last 15 years, several in the past few years in fact, but the writer has no compunction about telling IGDA members this untruth in order to try to get you angry so that you might sign the petition. Edge has a number of games slated for '09 and '10, details of which are on its website.

As to Mobigame, the simple fact is that Mobigame infringed our registered trademark rights in EDGE and THE EDGE when they named their iPhone game. It is a pity that their use of the name did not come to Edge Game's attention until after it went live on iTunes, but that is a fact. Speculation that Edge deliberately waited until Mobigame had started using the name before taking action is unfounded. That is just not true.

Member, IGDA Board of Directors
Co-Founder, AIAS
626 499 4EDGE (449-4334)
TimL@igda.org

[continued]

The email asked the member to do research and come to your own conclusion, but the writer of the email is very well aware that there is a tremendous amount of false and misleading information out there right now so such research will give a totally false impression of what has really happened and what is currently happening. The smear campaign aganst Edge Games and me is in full swing, making it extremely hard to see the truth among all the lies being told.

For instance, Edge Games filed to register the mark EDGY because it understood that Mobigame wanted it to. Mobigame then made up the fiction Edge had filed for that mark to prevent them changing the name to EDGY. This was totally untrue but no one has listened to Edge's side of the story. The fact is from late May onwards Mobigame has refused to change the name of its game at all -- to EDGY or any other name. They still insist they have the right to call the game EDGE. Edge Games made proposals to Mobigame from late May onwards, all of which involved Mobigame changing the name of their game to EDGY and NONE of which asked Mobigame to pay Edge Games anything. The idea that Edge has been asking Mobigame for money is a complete fiction. Edge no longer has an application for EDGY, it abandoned it.

There is also no truth in the statement that Edge made Apple take down Mobigame's game. The truth is that Apple undertook their own independent investigation, determined Edge Games does own the trademark registrations in the US, UK and Germany and so Apple took down the Mobigame game in those territories. Edge had no input in that decision.

In short, Edge Games has never acted against the best interests of the indie developer. To mischaracterize the fact that it had to ask Mobigame to stop using its mark EDGE as evidence that Edge does not act in the best interest of indie developers is very unfair and inaccurate. At all times it has followed the law in protecting its trademark rights, doing what the law requires it to do, and contrary to the smear campaign, it has never acted as a "trademark troll," and does not engage in the practice of demanding money in return for a license. The idea that Edge has made its living these past years solely by starting trademark actions and filing lawsuits is preposterous.

If anyone would like to know more please feel free to contact me.

Member, IGDA Board of Directors
Co-Founder, AIAS
626 499 4EDGE (449-4334)
TimL@igda.org

Read the rest of the responses too!

#3 Seph

Seph

Contains Full Frontal Nerdity

• 2,255 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:47 PM

I've been following this story over on RLLMUK, and I genuinely can't believe how this guy has the balls to continually insist that he's right.

I'd really like some industry behemoth like EA to call him up on something like Mirror's Edge, especially after his attempts at baiting them with ads for MIRRORS a game by EDGE plastered all over his website.

Also it seems that EDGE have released some screenshots for their upcoming AAA title RACERS.

http://www.the--edge...ames/racers.htm

I swear I've seen those before somewhere.

Oh yeah, that's right. I have. Here.

http://www.computera...e.php?id=188616

Looks like he's just copying and pasting screenshots he's taken from the internet of a PS3 game called Voltage, and is passing them off as his own.

Seriously, if this guy doesn't take a serious beating for this alone, then I will be truly amazed.

#4 TheShend

TheShend

• Founding Member
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:19 AM

EA quietly owns Langdell in the face.

If you don't want to read that, EA systematically nukes from orbit all of Langdells' claims and assets and request that all his trademarks are revoked.

The falsified evidence such as the Edge magazine cover is tremendous happy.gif

#5 Corrupt Rose

Corrupt Rose

Invaders must be scolded sternly

• 3,031 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:36 AM

QUOTE(TheShend @ Sep 29 2009, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
EA quietly owns Langdell in the face.

If you don't want to read that, EA systematically nukes from orbit all of Langdells' claims and assets and request that all his trademarks are revoked.

The falsified evidence such as the Edge magazine cover is tremendous happy.gif

It's great, isn't it. He was mad to taunt a company like EA with this 'Mirrors from the Edge' rubbish anyway. I wonder how this is going to affect his European trademarks? I doubt an American court can overturn those, but it's going to put him into a shakey, shakey position.

That said, EA have been so quiet about this, there's a good chance they're planning a second orbital strike as we speak.

#6 plopboy

plopboy

I'm from the, uh, Confidential Committee on Moral Abuses

• Admin
  • 3,497 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 29 September 2009 - 12:15 PM

Nuking him from orbit is the only way to be sure tongue.gif

#7 Remymaru

Remymaru
  • 427 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:50 PM

Is this dude fucking tapped or what?

#8 Seph

Seph

Contains Full Frontal Nerdity

• 2,255 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 02:43 PM

Some more news on the Edge Games/EA front.

EA have petitioned to get all of Langdell's trademarks cancelled, and actually look like they might succeed.

All of the details can be found on the USPTO website.

http://ttabvue.uspto...0...=CAN&eno=16

Best of all, Langdell is apparently 100% certain he will defeat EA in court. Always the delusional mind he is.

http://www.eurogamer...-certain-of-win

My favourite quote in the whole thing is this.

When did EA suddenly become the good guys?

Umm, since you started being an utter cunt towards anybody who dares use the word "Edge", and since they've had the audacity to, y'know, release some games in the last 20 years.

Edited by ChosenOne666, 26 March 2010 - 02:43 PM.

#9 Garibaldi

Garibaldi

All hail King Biscuit!

• Founding Member
  • 2,365 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 12:43 AM

It's like the last days of Jack Thompson all over again.

I also expect the court transcripts to be similarly entertaining.

#10 Willei

Willei

This is what I think of games

• Founding Member
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:31 PM

The lastest victim of Timmy's retarded rampage: a crummy Gust SRPG called Cross Edge.

http://www.nisameric.......f=32&t=1778

#11 plopboy

plopboy

I'm from the, uh, Confidential Committee on Moral Abuses

• Admin
  • 3,497 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:43 PM

I think he had a game coming out about some hot cross buns going on a rampage, but like his current output it is all bollocks

#12 hankwang

hankwang

please stop typing William

• Founding Member
  • 8,666 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE(plopboy @ Jul 27 2010, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think he had a game coming out about some hot cross buns going on a rampage, but like his current output it is all bollocks

Current? I had the misfortune of playing a large amount of TEH EDGE ™ © software on the C64.

It was bollocks back then, much less now.

#13 Willei

Willei

This is what I think of games

• Founding Member
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:10 AM

Langdell got FUCKED:

http://www.industryg...edge-trademark/

There's a great breakdown on proceedings by Dandy_Sephy on Rllmuk:

http://www.rllmukfor...t...944&st=2330

#14 TheShend

TheShend

• Founding Member
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:51 AM

Tremendous stuff happy.gif

The shill is going DAAHHHHHHHHHHN!

#15 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

Just as you suspected, everything I have told you is gibberish

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:59 PM

Even given the surprisingly forceful language used, I wouldn't rejoice just yet. Slippery pricks like Langdell have a habit of getting through life without karma giving them a well-deserved kick in the teeth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users