Photo

The GHZ Collectathon

• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

#31 Treble

Treble
  • 800 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 09:14 AM

I've always toyed with the idea but never leapt at it. For one thing, the stuff I'd want to do it for would either have too many iterations (Street Fighter series) or be too expensive to complete (Metal Gear/MGS - the box sets are horrendously expensive).

I was going to start with Zone of the Enders, as I'm one of the few fans of the series, and even went as far as getting the Special Collector's Edition:

I was geared up to buy the Premium Edition, but it become almost impissible to locate, just as I got interested. At the same time, the Jehuty garage kit went out of print, so it all just seemed too much of a hassle sad.gif

I'd love a complete Kojima collection, though. Boktai and Tokimeki Memorial stuff would be easy; I already have PAL Snatcher (w00t) and Policenauts copies are cheap; LE versions of ZOE and MGS would cost you a fortune.

#32 Jakeway

Jakeway

Gentleman First

• 6,460 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 01:11 PM

I thought I'd post these here.. seeing as its what this thread is about.

Mega Drive Jpn Outrun, and Pal Turbo Outrun.

The white paper on the left on Jpn Outrun is actually a piece of A4 Paper with instructions on them. Still can’t go Wrong for 95p…. FOR BOTH!

IMB PC 5.1/4 inch Disks

I don’t really know much about these Disks. The guy told me “I used to play this on my Amstrad PC1640“. I have no idea what I will do with them, maybe buy a £50 frame from John Lewis and bang them up in the hall way… very post modern. Still can’t go Wrong for 99p.

Spectrum Outrun Trilogy

These came complete in a set, all in very nice condition. Outrun comes with a tape cassette of the games sound track (in mono) and Turbo Outrun comes with a poster. Outrun Europa is in immaculate condition, in that it's still FACTORY SEALED!

This poster is mint… R . O . C . K in the U . S . A!

Look at this guys smug face. He is really getting a thrill out of living dangerously and dicing with the law.

Outrun CBM 64/128 version

This also comes with a tape cassette of the games sound track, and contains another 5.1/4 inch Disk.

Havent bought any new Outrun stuff in a while... Also bought this boxset of music for 480, but had to stop myself, other things to worry about ya'know.

#33 Kingston LJ

Kingston LJ
  • 85 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 03:39 PM

@ Jakeway

Outrun stuff always looks so bright and full of charm. I could easily be tempted into collecting everything that goes with the series. I must resist.

When it comes to the possibility of collecting for one particular series of games, I'd have to choose F-Zero. The series means a lot to me; I just love everything about it.

Fortunately, there hasn't been any bad games in the series. The GBA versions are a bit dodgy, but overall, each title ranges from good to excellent.

I've seen one guy post a really big F-Zero collection, and it was pretty awe inspiring. Love for a series doesn't mean you need to buy everything that goes with it though, but it sure is tempting to do so.

#34 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

Just as you suspected, everything I have told you is gibberish

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 28 April 2007 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE(Treble @ Mar 11 2007, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've always toyed with the idea but never leapt at it. For one thing, the stuff I'd want to do it for would either have too many iterations (Street Fighter series) or be too expensive to complete (Metal Gear/MGS - the box sets are horrendously expensive).

I've got the LE Premium package of the PAL version of MGS - bought it from Virgin when it originally came out - and for years I've wondered how much it'd fetch if I wanted to sell it. Perfect nick, nothing missing, postcards and the like still in their wrapping (not because I ever intended to sell it, just because what the fuck was I going to do with the postcards once I had unwrapped them, y'know?).

Saw one come up on eBay a month ago and thought I'd keep an eye on it, see if it was time to consider parting with it. Final results:

Six pounds sterling.

the tags are missing from that one, admittedly, but still. Six fucking pounds?

#35 Pacman

Pacman

im in ur bus guidin ur passengers

• 5,717 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 12:47 AM

I'll give you a tenner for yours Randy :\/

#36 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 29 April 2007 - 01:48 AM

laugh.gif

Save your money and put a bid in on this one, Pac - 17 hours to go and it's still at a starting bid of 99 pence. And this one's fully complete, too.

It baffles me, eBay. You'll get games that come up all the time, with about fifteen copies on there at any one time, but that can regularly reach over £75 despite being fairly common - Rondo of Blood, for example - then you'll get games that barely ever pop up for sale - like this - not even getting into double figures. Bizarre business.

#37 Pacman

Pacman

• 5,717 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 01:11 PM

ohmy.gif Gonna keep my eye on that.

Amusingly, he lives pretty near me too. I think I'd be too embarrassed to request pickup and then turn up at his house and pay a pound for it though >_>;

• Guests

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:54 AM

Just thought I'd post this for Jakeway - Turbo Outrun on the speccy, in a cardboard box, with the poster... AND A FREE BADGE! happy.gif

#39 Pacman

Pacman

• 5,717 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 05:37 PM

Heh, awesome. Wear the badge. I demand it.

#40 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:25 PM

Anybody got the taste for any other series recently? I have.

I've suddenly decided that I want to play and own (in one format or another) alll of the MegaMan games. This is clearly a bit mental, because there are shitloads of the things and also because I find the main series really frustrating. there's something about them, though, that appeals a lot. It's partly the difficulty, partnered with the genre - when I first started playing games frequently, it was shmups and platformers that caught my attention.

No intention of trying to get hold of all the NES and SNES releases, though. And, thankfully, I don't need to, thanks to the two PS2 compilations. If I can find those, I might make a serious attempt at a MegaMan collectathon.

The other things are an either/or choice. Either Atlus USA games - of which I already own a decent number - or the Shin Megami Tensei series and offshoots. I don't know if I can totally justify the latter, given that most of the games were limited to Japanese releases and would, therefore, be unplayable. I might be able to jusitify it to myself on grounds of design and artwork alone.

As far as Parodius goes, I still get an itchy bidding finger every time I see the X68000 and MSX games, despite their relatively high price and the fact that I've nothing to play them on.

#41 bowser123

bowser123

Habadoodee! With a Reep-a-nazza.

• Moderators
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:45 PM

Megaman Starforce: Pegasus is a fiver at Play and exclusive to them. Seriously though, Mega Man? They release that shit more often than EA update Fifa. Seen how many DS and GBA games there are alone? Admittedly they're often variants of the same game like Pokemon Red/ Green etc, but, well just look:

DS
Mega Man Battle Network 5
Mega Man Star Force 2: Zerker x Ninja
Mega Man Star Force 2: Zerker x Saurian
Mega Man Star Force: Dragon
Mega Man Star Force: Leo
Mega Man Star Force: Pegasus
Mega Man ZX
Mega Man ZX Advent

GBA
Mega Man & Bass
Mega Man and Bass
Mega Man Anniversary Collection
Mega Man Battle Chip Challenge
Mega Man Battle Network FAQs
Mega Man Battle Network 2 FAQs
Mega Man Battle Network 3 Blue
Mega Man Battle Network 3 White
Mega Man Battle Network 4 Blue Moon
Mega Man Battle Network 4 Red Sun
Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Colonel
Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman
Mega Man Battle Network 6 Cybeast Falzar
Mega Man Battle Network 6 Cybeast Gregar
Mega Man Mania
Mega Man Zero
Mega Man Zero 2
Mega Man Zero 3
Mega Man Zero 4

Good luck on the GBA carts, finding boxed official ones.

I really don't think you should encourage Capcom to milk it some more even if they don't see any of the cash with you forced to rely on eBay sales.

#42 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 28 July 2008 - 10:55 PM

To be fair, if you take out the repeated games from that list - the variants, the one listed twice (Gamefaqs?) and the two that were ported over to the DS on a single card, you get:

DS
Mega Man Battle Network 5
Mega Man Star Force 2
Mega Man Star Force
Mega Man ZX
Mega Man ZX Advent

GBA
Mega Man & Bass
Mega Man Battle Chip Challenge
Mega Man Battle Network
Mega Man Battle Network 2
Mega Man Battle Network 3
Mega Man Battle Network 4
Mega Man Battle Network 6
Mega Man Zero
Mega Man Zero 2
Mega Man Zero 3
Mega Man Zero 4

That's still a shitload of games, obvs. It largely depends on whether or not I decide to carry on with the Battle Network/Staforce series - I've heard that BN gets a bit stinky by the fourth game, and the Starforce games supposedly do little different. That said, I already picked up the first Starforce, when I saw it going for the fiver. Battle Chip Challenge, I've absolutely no intention of going anywhere near, because it *is* just a cheeky cash-in.

MegaMan Mania never got released, so that's another one off the list (although it does mean that I've got years of searching ahead of me if I want to own the five original GB games). i think Megaman Anniversary was just another name for the same, unreleased compilation.

The others are, as I understand it, pretty smart action platformers. What little I've played of ZX Advent so far certainly backs this up - it's excellent, with some beautiful animation - and I've read good things about the Zero games.

So, taking out the RPGs and the anomalies, that leaves just seven games, four of which I already own. The remaining things are the NES and SNES games, which are all available on two PS2 comps, and the GB (as I say, virtually impossible to get in good nick, I'm sure) and GBC games. And the Game Gear one, if I can be arsed with trying to find it.

I really don't mind about a company milking a franchise as long as they keep the quality levels up, and that's something that Capcom do seem to have managed, from my exposure to it so far. To be honest, a lot of the appeal of the collectathon is in the hunting and finding, as well as the playing once you've found.

Still toying with the idea of the Gradius collectathon, too, as well as an R-Type one.

Edited by E. Randy Dupre, 28 July 2008 - 11:03 PM.

#43 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 28 July 2008 - 11:01 PM

Basically, I'm not going to buy anything that's shit if I already know it to be shit. Not unless it's a 99p Amstrad version, or something of equal novelty value. A core element of the collectathon is that you've got to have some kind of emotional link to the series you're digging into - Jake with Outrun, Singho with the Capcom beat 'em up stuffs, me with Parodius. Otherwise, it's just so much geeky masturbation.

#44 bowser123

bowser123

Habadoodee! With a Reep-a-nazza.

• Moderators
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 11:46 PM

QUOTE(E. Randy Dupre @ Jul 28 2008, 11:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I really don't mind about a company milking a franchise as long as they keep the quality levels up, and that's something that Capcom do seem to have managed, from my exposure to it so far.

So they're worth a go then the GBA/ DS titles?

All the talk made me load up Mega Man X Collection on the Cube and I quite like it. It was one I bought but barely tried, spent more time getting frustrated by Megaman 1-8 I think on Anniversary. It's more forgiving than the insane games on the Anniversary disc that I've tried on and off, though I guess the better hardware involved in these later games helps. What's also nifty is the password on the Cube game works on the SNES game, had a quick go and transferred my save between both and it's dandy.

#45 E. Randy Dupre

E. Randy Dupre

• Admin
  • 8,859 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 29 July 2008 - 04:41 PM

Yeah, the original series is old school difficult, as I understand it, whereas the X series is more forgiving and more modern. Still challenging, but more acceptably so.

As far as the portable games go, I'm enjoying Battle Network. It's got a lovely chunky visual style and an interesting, unique battle mechanic. Storyline and universe are appealing, too. MegaMan & Bass is stupiidly difficult, so I'd steer clear of that. The DS games look wonderful and ZX Advent - I've still not fired the original ZX up - is a decent mixture of run 'n' gunner and adventure game. I'm thinking of starting ZX tonight, now that I've completed the one PSP release, so I'll report back once I've played enough to form an opinion.

Not played any of the Zeroes yet, but I should have the first on its way. As I say, I've heard good things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users