PS2 Emulation

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Adrock

Adrock
  • Admin
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:02 PM

I restarted Stella Deus yesterday afternoon, got a couple of hours in before my son woke up from his afternoon nap and I really enjoyed it. Went to play it tonight and the shit machine steadfastly refuses boot up anything, it wont read any discs.

So, I've spent most of tonight trying to configure PCSX2, a PS2 emulator that seems to be very good. Firstly, does anybody have any advice about getting it running optimally? I'm suffering quite a bit of lag on my laptop, when anything moves in the game the FPS can drop dramatically, its not an ideal gaming platform.

Has anybody used PS2 emulators extensively? Whats the compatibility like?

I'm interested in play quite a few RPGs I bought a while back, but obviously now I have to either try and repair my machine, buy one or get PCSX2 working well.

#2 hankwang

hankwang

please stop typing William

• Founding Member
  • 8,666 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 11:46 PM

Stella Deus is listed as "playable" in the compatibility list, so I think you're probably looking at spec rather than emulator performance here Ad. Unfortunately clock speed alone does not equal good PS2 emulation (apparently it's even harder to get the thing running effectively in multiple core than single core, due to the tight sync of the PS2s many processing units). What GPU are you running in your laptop? If it's something in the DX9/10 mould you might want to take a look at the GSdx plug-in as that will certainly take pressure off your CPU trying to emulate ALL of the PS2s processing units in tandem on its own (although if you have a crippled laptop GPU you might wind up getting worse performance on the whole).

PCSX2 generally sits around 70% of some 2000 tested games are playable. http://pcsx2.net/compat.php - I'd check the games you want to play here to be honest.

I've only briefly toyed with PCSX2 as far as PS2 emulation goes, but it pretty much seems to be the only one worth even a brief look. I suspect it and Dolphin may be as next-gen as emulation gets... hard to see how any of the most recent consoles could be emulated to any degree of playability.

#3 qazimod

qazimod

• Founding Member
  • 2,458 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:19 PM

I've barely touched PCSX2 - it's not the easiest thing to configure, and ISOs work better than discs so I'd have to spend ages yanking huge archived DVDs from dubious online sources... Not to mention the fact that both of my PCs are probably a bit rubbish.

I've seen videos of PCSX2 online and the results are pretty impressive, especially things like hi-res Persona 4 gameplay... wub.gif

#4 Electric Boogaloo

Electric Boogaloo

Uncle Benon

• Founding Member
  • 5,277 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:15 PM

Don't worry guys, I'm downloading the source code. It'll be 100% compatible and it'll run on a 486 DX/66 by teatime.

#5 Adrock

Adrock
  • Admin
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:35 PM

I've had my tea boog.......

Just sorting out a way to use a control pad on it too. Also ordered a replacement laser for my ps2.

#6 Adrock

Adrock
  • Admin
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:14 PM

Sorry for the double post. Just been playing with the emu, changed a couple of settings and made an iso from the dvd. Both of those have made a brilliant difference to the framerate. Its been rock solid on Stella Deus so far.

I'd still prefer to play it all on my PS2 though, cant beat playing it on the tv.

#7 Adrock

Adrock
  • Admin
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:27 PM

A small update,

Opened the PS2 up and noticed the bloody torx driver on the laser unit so I couldn't remove it. Realised all of the dirt and dust in the unit so I got the trusty alcohol out and gently cleaned the lens of the unit. The PS2 must have come from a smoking home because the horrible brown that came off when I cleaned it.

It was very successful and Stella Deus loaded up first time \o/

#8 qazimod

qazimod

• Founding Member
  • 2,458 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:38 PM

I had a little play with PCSX earlier today. I'm not sure what prompted it, but I've been trying a lot of emulators again since I got my new telly (with a 15-pin VGA connector on the back for PC funs) and I wondered how hard it could be to set the emulator up. I've used it before to play my physical copy of Viewtiful Joe but the performance wasn't great and a lot of people recommend using images rather than physical discs. So this time around I did some sniffing and eventually got MagicISO to produce a working image of Persona 4. On my desktop PC (2.6 Ghz, 3Gb RAM) I generally get around 30-40FPS when playing, which is still kind of slow, but the graphical improvement is amazing - everything looks really sharp and clear compared to the soft and fuzzy image I'm used to on the telly. I kind of hope that the Vita update of P4 will accomplish a similar overhaul, but in the meantime I'm happy with these results...

Edited by qazimod, 09 April 2012 - 08:39 PM.

#9 Siri

Siri
  • Founding Member
  • 3,734 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

That's a pretty good framerate Qazi, all things considered - the developers stress that you need a minimum of 3.0Ghz over two cores (which, unfortunately, is the max that PCSX2 handles in Hardware mode). What processor are you using, specifically? I'm currently at a disadvantage with most builds, due to running on AMD (Athlon X4 640, stock @ 3.0Ghz), Meaning I don't get any fancy instruction sets and therefore stuck with SSE2 builds.

Went and tried out another slightly older, but seemingly more demanding game than Persona 3 FES - Devil May Cry 3. Seemed to run fairly well with only a couple of audio blips, although I got a massive headache from the Interlacing until I read about how to set it to different modes. I could probably do with reading up more about how to set the upscaling properly, as well, it still seems to look slightly rank in some cases, albeit a massive improvement from the PS2's output.

#10 qazimod

qazimod

• Founding Member
  • 2,458 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:20 PM

Pentium E5300 Dual Core, apparently. I have two PCs at the moment; one laptop which I use for general browsing and internet activity and the more powerful desktop that I've been testing PCSX on (although officially I'm supposed to be using it for video capture and editing rather than gaming tongue.gif )

I didn't get too far into P4 when testing it because the intro takes about 85 hours to finish but I saw the cutscenes, did some battles and moved around places. But yeah, it's amazing how much polish has been applied to the visuals... wub.gif Now all I need is a decent USB controller. tongue.gif

Edited by qazimod, 10 April 2012 - 01:26 PM.

#11 Siri

Siri
  • Founding Member
  • 3,734 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

QUOTE(qazimod @ Apr 10 2012, 02:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now all I need is a decent USB controller. tongue.gif

60% of the time, it works every time. (The other 40% requires the use of the D-Pad)

You might want to look into overclocking, mind - quick bit of research says that depending on the product and risk involved, those chips can reach up to 4.0GHz. Not that you'd need that, of course, a bump to about 3.2 would be great for PCSX2.

#12 Adrock

Adrock
  • Admin
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

The latest SVN releases do support more than 2 cores. Its an MTU hack that will take advantage of another core, maybe two but I could be wrong there. http://buildbot.orph...pcsx2/index.php - That will get you the SVN releases.

Basically, you MUST have the disc image rather than the DVD. In the Emulation settings window you can enable speedhacks. I'd definitely recommended trying quite a few. They all have a recommendation by the side of the settings and this is where you'll find the best performance boosts, for sure.

I have been playing Okami on 1920 x 1080 res and its amazing. I put some screenies in the Okami impression thread if anyone hasn't looked. As for upscaling, Siri, you basically just change the resolution in the Video plugin settings. Muck about with the PS2 internal resolution. Dont know if I mentioned on this site about the new sound plugin too, its included in the SVN releases and its version 2.0.0. It supposedly clears up a lot of sound glitching, I've had nothing go wrong with Okami.

Finally, just to reiterate, I cant recommend the speedhacks enough. I have a very good PC so the basic settings are all I need but you can look at more ambitious ones the slower your computer is.

#13 Siri

Siri
  • Founding Member
  • 3,734 posts
  • Steam Profile

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

Ah, didn't see that, thanks Ad - I saw a mention of threads in the GDSx plugin, so I got confused. It's unticked as well, so I'll give it a whirl later on!

Meanwhile, the DEFCON 1 button has been activated on AMD Overdrive (Auto Clock). It's currently up to 3.4Ghz at a steady 33c, Although beyond that lies the Twiglet Zone.

EDIT: And the quarterback is toast! Froze up at 3.44Ghz, so scaled it back to a healthy 3.4Ghz. Still at a solid 33c, but the proof is in the pudding.

Edited by Siri, 10 April 2012 - 04:56 PM.

#14 Adrock

Adrock
  • Admin
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:06 PM

I love my i5, not really stressed it but I'm getting 4.3ghz. Haven't tried any higher yet but with that and all of the updated instruction sets the thing flys like special slippery shit off a particularly hot shovel

edit : I'm really really struggling not to rip some more games I have. I'd love to see Persona, DQ8 and Viewtiful Joe in 1080 res but I must finish Okami first.

#15 Adrock

Adrock
  • Admin
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:42 PM

Sorry for the double post, but it'd be interesting if we could upload comparison shots between native and high res PS2 games. I'd like to see as many games as possible too, so when I get a chance and I play some more of my back catalogue I'll get some screenies up.

I must say, I dont think I've seen a game look as good as Okami does at 1920x1080 res this generation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users